I Am Going To Order It!

After much soul searching and much Bud Light, I think I have made a decision. ???

1. It was between the IS 350 and the new G37. The G had a more visual impact, but the quality didn't come up to the level of the IS. Pricewise, they were about even.

2. The major problem was the Lexus policy of configuring their models to somewhat specific localities.

This meant that in order to get the car with the toys I needed (wanted), I would have to order it from the factory. This would result in an approximate four month wait.

The internet sales people did not appear to be too anxious to go the factory route, and they hinted broadly that I would have to pay MSRP. (2008 model will be $200 more for the base price)

They were really pushing closeouts of the 2007's.

I was planning for the following options:

Sport Package $3695/$2956

NV Package $2550/$2168

Color Black on Black

For moral support, what do you guys think?

P.S. Are the paddle shifters standard equipment? I can't find them anywhere.

After much soul searching and much Bud Light, I think I have made a decision. ???

1. It was between the IS 350 and the new G37. The G had a more visual impact, but the quality didn't come up to the level of the IS. Pricewise, they were about even.

2. The major problem was the Lexus policy of configuring their models to somewhat specific localities.

This meant that in order to get the car with the toys I needed (wanted), I would have to order it from the factory. This would result in an approximate four month wait.

The internet sales people did not appear to be too anxious to go the factory route, and they hinted broadly that I would have to pay MSRP. (2008 model will be $200 more for the base price)

They were really pushing closeouts of the 2007's.

I was planning for the following options:

Sport Package $3695/$2956

NV Package $2550/$2168

Color Black on Black

For moral support, what do you guys think?

P.S. Are the paddle shifters standard equipment? I can't find them anywhere.

Paddle shifters are standard with all IS models with auto trannys.

I'm as much a fan of Nissan as I am Lexus, so I feel the need to clarify a few things -

1) With the options you're looking at, the price difference between the G and the IS is bigger than you might think - IS + Sport Pkg + NV Pkg = MSRP: $43,390 -- G37 fully loaded = MSRP: ~$41,500.

2) You need to be sure of what you want from the car. If you want luxury and subtlety, then the IS is definately the right pick. If you want flare and performance (if you plan on tuning it) then I'd go with the G. The IS350 is an amazing car, but I think it is a totally different class than the G37. The "VQ" series engine (in the G) has been ranked in Ward's "top 10 engines in the world" for 11 years straight (it was #1 in 2006). I believe the VQ35DE should be ranked among the RB, JZ and SR series engines in tuneability (I've seen it put down over 600rwhp NA). Plus, the G is available with a 6-spd and has tons of aftermarket support already. But the G will never live up to the Lexus standard of luxury and class. As much as I love the G interior, the L-Finesse strategy has apparently worked. The IS interior is roomier, more comfortable, more ergonomic, more attractive and has more gadgets than just about any car in its class - better stereo, better nav, better interface and better materials than the G37 (plus a real backseat). If you asked me which car I'd take on a road trip, I'd pick the IS hands down. Though which one I'd drive around town with might be a different answer.

3) Paddle shifters come standard with all the ISx50 (except the 6-spd trim) and the automatics have six gears.. The G37 comes in either 6-spd manual or 5-spd auto.

4) Either way you go (special order IS or G37) you're going to have to wait for the car. But if you have to wait to get exactly what you want, do it - it'll be worth it when you finally have it in your driveway.

I'm as much a fan of Nissan as I am Lexus, so I feel the need to clarify a few things -

1) With the options you're looking at, the price difference between the G and the IS is bigger than you might think - IS + Sport Pkg + NV Pkg = MSRP: $43,390 -- G37 fully loaded = MSRP: ~$41,500.

2) You need to be sure of what you want from the car. If you want luxury and subtlety, then the IS is definately the right pick. If you want flare and performance (if you plan on tuning it) then I'd go with the G. The IS350 is an amazing car, but I think it is a totally different class than the G37. The "VQ" series engine (in the G) has been ranked in Ward's "top 10 engines in the world" for 11 years straight (it was #1 in 2006). I believe the VQ35DE should be ranked among the RB, JZ and SR series engines in tuneability (I've seen it put down over 600rwhp NA). Plus, the G is available with a 6-spd and has tons of aftermarket support already. But the G will never live up to the Lexus standard of luxury and class. As much as I love the G interior, the L-Finesse strategy has apparently worked. The IS interior is roomier, more comfortable, more ergonomic, more attractive and has more gadgets than just about any car in its class - better stereo, better nav, better interface and better materials than the G37 (plus a real backseat). If you asked me which car I'd take on a road trip, I'd pick the IS hands down. Though which one I'd drive around town with might be a different answer.

3) Paddle shifters come standard with all the ISx50 (except the 6-spd trim) and the automatics have six gears.. The G37 comes in either 6-spd manual or 5-spd auto.

4) Either way you go (special order IS or G37) you're going to have to wait for the car. But if you have to wait to get exactly what you want, do it - it'll be worth it when you finally have it in your driveway.

You're adding too much money for the Nav--you are adding $3,990 for the ML/Nav package. Look at the original post--he's only getting the Nav, which is $2550, meaning the IS 350 is $41,950.

Get the IS.

Very nicely said.

Hey Cory and Tex2670-- You are right.

I was thinking of the VN NAV with the ML system, but getting the NV version can't be all that bad.

A powerful influence just entered the picture, my wife. She prefers the IS because it has more class.

Thanks for your help.

You're adding too much money for the Nav--you are adding $3,990 for the ML/Nav package. Look at the original post--he's only getting the Nav, which is $2550, meaning the IS 350 is $41,950.

Get the IS.