Tsb's How Long Will Lexus Honor Them?

I did search...didn't find an answer.

Questions:

Can I take my Lexus to any lexus dealer to find what TSBs have been performed on my car?

How long will they honor TSB issues?

I bought my car used, with virtually no records, while I love the car, there are a few issues that are addressed

by TSB's and I didn't want to look retarded going into a lexus dealer thinking they would fix them, only to be laughed out

of the place.

My issues are rear window not working TSB EL010, and pulsating rotors, but I am going to turn my rotors anyway, so...

what do you think? Take it there and hope they run it through the garden of TSB's or am I S.O.L because I bought it used and I am on my own dime?

I don't expect them to go down the TSB list and address each item but I would like them to fix the issues I am having. Oh and lastly, when I had a benz, some dealers could pull up all the work that was done on my benz anywhere in the country, as long as it was done at a Benz dealer, does Lexus have that capability? Again, sorry for all the questions, but u guys are omnipotent!

Thanks in advance. Jeff

Any dealer can pull up any work performed by any dealer. TSIB's or otherwise. Each TSIB has the time/mileage term printed on it for how long it's honored , 4/50,6/70, or more for emissions warranty.

update

I purchased a subscription that allows me to view all TSBs for the 2002 Lexus ES300, lots of detailed information there, I did find out the following.

Applicable Warranty*:

This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

So I guess I still wonder what happens when a TSB is issued after 48 months have passed from the vehicles in service date? I will do some checking.

If anyone has any specific TSB questions about this year and model, let me know and I will look it up for u.

Jeff

well to begin with you're grossly incorrect by thinking that any OEM's version of a TSIB has anything to do with any issue being, or not being a repair claims bulletin item in the first place. it's not. they're nothing more than notations to the dealers & anyone else they conern. ther eis a big differance in an information bulletin, and a recall. recall = OEM will fix & split the bill.

and yes, typically toyota does have most of the dealers do most bulletin work under warranty for free, but that's besides the point. they could easily make you pay for it if it's not a recall.

forget paying for the half-assed stuff get the real tsib's in pdf format.

techinfo.toyota.com

lexus/toyota dealers can only tell you of maintenance done at a lexus/toyota dealers, and not all of those will link into the corrisponding toyota VS lexus networks. Same thing, different name, but you'd most likely have to ask a toyota dealer, and a lexus dealer.

if the brakes pulse then the rotors are warped. replace the pads, rotors & change the brake fluid.

since you're out of warranty, why don't you call them and ask? all they have to do is convince the corperate office to foot the labor, the parts, or both. you can always call the corperate office if a dealer can't. and you can always see if they won't pay the labor, or the parts if they wont pay both. toyota / lexus coperate are pretty know for letting people slide with stuff. i know someone within the last 6 motnhs that had another free set of head gaskets changes on the infamous 3.0L 3vz-e 4runner head gaskets at over 270,000m. he just called corp up & talked them into doing it over a week or so. (the original extended warranty was 10 years 100,000 miles. meaning it had expired no LESS than four-years ago).

it's a crap shoot, but the odds are alot better than with any other OEM i know of.

Thanks for the advice, I assumed too much. I had planned on new rotors and pads, I will change the brake fluid as well. Most of the issues I have with my Lexus are very minor, example the right rear window not going down, I am not sure if I have ever even wanted that window down. I understand the brakes are a wear issue. I will take my lexus to the dealer to see if they will at least do the latest update for the transmission which again, doesn't bother me much, but it has yet to be done. The TSB and other information I purchased was from alldata, I was pleased with the amount of information I received for a $24 fee/for a years of use.

Again thanks for the advice, I will make some calls and see what I can find. I am not trying to get something for nothing, mostly I would like to know what "has" been done so that I can plan accordingly.

Right, TSBs are not recalls, they are guidelines to address possible concerns by customers. The dealer will still perform the TSBs if you're out of warranty, it just wont be free.

exactly. all the OEM's use slighting different language but basically the same themes. in toyota's case, everything is a tsib (technical service information bulletin) keyword being information. from there extended warranty's, recalls, and special service campains. and the confusing thing is to some extint they all overlap ;)

not half, but a good portion of the tsib's i've ever had to read deal with fixing minor problems that happen down the road in ownership, or maintenance related issues. how to do something better, or what parts have superceeded old parts. the rest are generally, "hey we engineered it 99% perfect so not *everybody* will see the problem, but here's a minor issue that might crop up & how we think you can solve them."

case in point, the A/C expansion valves on the older ones. if you keep them clear of debris they probably won't need replacing after 5-10 years of ownership :D

i guess my point was trying to explain that just because any auto maker releases a bulletin saying there's a problem, doesn't mean it's a free fix. even under warranty. one of our local chevy / used car dealers is notorious for trying to pull crap between recalls & bulletins.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually had the same thought and this question answered it. Yeah, Toyota is good at getting customer issues resolved. I had a problem with the infamous intake manifold on my Camry and there was no recall and my bumper-to-bumper warranty was done. My first trip to the dealership ended with a high bill FOR ME. Later on, I called Toyota's corporate office and later on that dealership decided to honor the intake manifold repair under my powertrain warranty. Something tells me that it would have probably been honored with no warranty just because Toyota knows that it was an issue and they like happy customers.