Oxygen Sensor Location Question

I have a '98 ES 300, check engine light came on, took it to a Toyota dealer down the street to read the code, bad oxygen sensor. They stated it was bank 1 sensor 2, can someone please tell me it's location and if it's difficult to get at?

Thank You in advance.

post cat.

Here is one about sensor.

Where is :

bank 1 sensor 1

bank 1 sensor 2

bank 2 sensor 1

bank 2 sensor 2

I never understood that.

Bank 1 Sensor 1: side of engine nearest windshield, between exhaust manifold and cat.

Bank 1 Sensor 2: underneath car in pipe coming from the cat connected to the exhaust manifold/cylinders closest to the windshield.

Bank 2 Sensor 1: side of engine nearest to radiator, between exhaust manifold and cat.

Bank 2 Sensor 2: underneath car in pipe coming from the cat connected to the exhaust manifold/cylinders closest to the radiator.

steviej

post cat.

Where is :

bank 1 sensor 1

bank 1 sensor 2

bank 2 sensor 1

bank 2 sensor 2

I never understood that.

Bank 1 Sensor 1: side of engine nearest windshield, between exhaust manifold and cat.

Bank 1 Sensor 2: underneath car in pipe coming from the cat connected to the exhaust manifold/cylinders closest to the windshield.

Bank 2 Sensor 1: side of engine nearest to radiator, between exhaust manifold and cat.

Bank 2 Sensor 2: underneath car in pipe coming from the cat connected to the exhaust manifold/cylinders closest to the radiator.

steviej

just as a side note that bank 1 sensor 1 is a pain to replace

• 2 weeks later...
post cat.

Where is :

bank 1 sensor 1

bank 1 sensor 2

bank 2 sensor 1

bank 2 sensor 2

I never understood that.

steviej

I took off the Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor.. but the cable runs into the car.. i heard something about the connection being in the car under the carpet, under the drivers seat.. please help, i cannot find the connection. thanks

post cat.

Where is :

bank 1 sensor 1

bank 1 sensor 2

bank 2 sensor 1

bank 2 sensor 2

I never understood that.

steviej

I took off the Bank 1 Sensor 2 O2 sensor.. but the cable runs into the car.. i heard something about the connection being in the car under the carpet, under the drivers seat.. please help, i cannot find the connection. thanks

You will have to remove the seat , take care removing the electrical connections. once the seat is out of the car, look at the tranny hump and you should see a small slit in the carpet, right where the floor and hump meet,peel the carpet apart and you will see the connector for the sensor. you may need to cut the carpet a little more if needed. have fun : )

justin97,

How much of a pain is it to change bank 1 sensor 1? I changed bank 1 sensor 2 with a bosch, a couple days later the check engine light came back on. Both of these sensors are reading bad, hopefully the one caused the other to read bad again.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
post cat.

Where is :

bank 1 sensor 1

bank 1 sensor 2

bank 2 sensor 1

bank 2 sensor 2

I never understood that.

steviej

You will have to remove the seat , take care removing the electrical connections. once the seat is out of the car, look at the tranny hump and you should see a small slit in the carpet, right where the floor and hump meet,peel the carpet apart and you will see the connector for the sensor. you may need to cut the carpet a little more if needed. have fun : )

WHICH SEAT????? THE PASSENGER OR DRIVERS SEAT????