No Power Steering After Timing Belt Service

LS40097

I just had my 1998 LS400 (130K Miles) serviced (Water Pump & Timing Belt) at a Lexus service center. I drove home about 50 miles via highway with the AC on. As I was pulling into my garage, I heard a loud noise resembling a metal belt snapping. The AC light began to blink and the car suddenly lost power steering. Everything else seems fine and I had Lexus tow it back to their shop. They wont be able to take a look at it until Monday and I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as to what is wrong. Could this be a result of improper service? Or did something else just break? Lexus service said that the power steering belt could have broken. Thank you for your help!

Serpentine Belt....Seems like they should have inspected it during the service. No big deal anyway. A ten minute fix if the pulleys, ps pump, new water pump, Alternator and compressor are okay.

everything seemed okay. I was still able to drive the car after the power steering loss. There was no sign of leakage anywhere. Hope you are right. Thank you for the information!

I just had my 1998 LS400 (130K Miles) serviced (Water Pump & Timing Belt) at a Lexus service center. I drove home about 50 miles via highway with the AC on. As I was pulling into my garage, I heard a loud noise resembling a metal belt snapping. The AC light began to blink and the car suddenly lost power steering. Everything else seems fine and I had Lexus tow it back to their shop. They wont be able to take a look at it until Monday and I was wondering if anyone could clue me in as to what is wrong. Could this be a result of improper service? Or did something else just break? Lexus service said that the power steering belt could have broken. Thank you for your help!

I had the AC light blinking two, no loud sound, turns out my AC Compressor seized up after the clutch was going for a while. It still free wheels, but no AC. It's a be-ach in this Florida summer driving around like this.

ill call the dealership and complain about the service performed and tell lexus corporate about your experience, and NO i will not drive it a single mile, ill have them put it in a flat bed truck and fix what they f&*( up youre paying them honest money for this, and in the long run something might be amiss due to this service performed, not all dealer are the same just a lesson

• 4 months later...

I had the same thing happened to me. The problem was that the technician didn't tightened the bolt that hold the pulley. The pulley came off as well as the serpertine belt. Good luck

Sounds like the crankshaft pulley has come off followed by the serpentine belt, if the battery charge light is also on ( as the same belt turns the alternator) you may be better getting recovery back to the garage as the battery will go flat.

I would not say the crankshaft fell off as it would be major damage and the car would not run right without it. The belt is off and probably an idler that is held in with a single bolt.

OPen the hood and take a look it is under the big long plastic air cover.

If as you say everything seems normal, I would check the belt to see if has a glaze on it - indicating a seized compressor or pulley. Otherwise check the tension.

PS: INcorrect tension on a serpentine belt is usually perceived as being loose, but it can also be too tight. An abnormally high tension on a belt stresses out not only the belt but all the bearings in it's travel and can obviously lead to them failing.