Steering Wheel Clicks When Turning

Does anyone experience this kind of cliking sound that comes from the steering wheel(250 AWD) when I turn right or left? It sounds like a click of an old keyboard or an overtoque applied on an old nut/bolt. It's noticable and persists.

I haven't heard anything unusual. Could it be the wheel catching the mechanism to disengage the turn signal?

I think Tex is right, i've noticed it too but i'm pretty sure it only occurs when the turning signal is turned on.

Just to confirm any confusion, this clicking is quite discreet and happens maybe once every half revolution or so of the steering wheel.

Funny that you mention this actually because only just the other day for some unknown reason the clicking was actually beginning to annoy me (a lot).

Well, It could be right that it's the mechanism of disengainging the signal is very much close to the steering wheel as tex2070 mentioned.

However, it's still unacceptable because it could lead into some damage; furthermore, other cheap cars have simmilar mechanism yet don't make such clicks so why an expensive care would have it? So, it's a design flaw.

Well, It could be right that it's the mechanism of disengainging the signal is very much close to the steering wheel as tex2070 mentioned.

However, it's still unacceptable because it could lead into some damage; furthermore, other cheap cars have simmilar mechanism yet don't make such clicks so why an expensive care would have it? So, it's a design flaw.

You should have the dealer check it out, if you think it's a problem. Let us know what they say.

I think it's unlikely to cause damage, as this is what it's designed to do. Regarding the noise, as has been mentioned re rattles etc, it may be that because the car is far quieter whilst driving, all these little sounds become more obvious. So maybe it's no louder than on cheaper cars, just more noticeable due to less road noise intrusion.

Does anyone else have their partner tell them to to use their turn indicators, as they are very quiet and she doesn't her it? :wacko:

it may be that because the car is far quieter whilst driving, all these little sounds become more obvious. So maybe it's no louder than on cheaper cars, just more noticeable due to less road noise intrusion.

==============================================

I don't think you're right on this. I drove both cheaper cars and more luxury cars than Lexus yet this does not exist. second, does every IS have this sound?

I had a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it had this clicking sound coming from the steering wheel as well.

I brought it in and was told that it was normal.

There is something in the steering column called a Clock Spring.

This spring is the electrical contact which allows for the funtion buttons to work on the steering wheel.

What you are hearing may be this clock spring.

If this is what you are hearing, there's nothing to worry about, but just like you, I don't think I should be hearing it in a "Luxury" vehicle either.