Cd Error Message 05 430 Levinson

Bozeman

430 2005 with Levinson

I was loading my in dash 6 CD when the player flashed "CD error" on the audio display. It will not load or unload. It has discs in spaces 1,4,5,6. I tried pulling the fuse to reset. No help. The loading slot flashes red when I press and hold the unload button till it beeps. I think it is a simple jam. Any quick fixes or "resets" known??? All other audio works fine.

NO WARRANTY on my car. The dealer says they just replace the changer for $600.

Should I attempt to remove the changer myself. I'm handy, but would need to download the removal tricks.

Advice?

It's not hard to remove the changer, but getting into it might be another matter. To remove it, remove the small wood strip just above the shift knob (it has the window shade button on it). This will just pry out from the right and left sides. You might have better luck if you open the little pop-out drawer above it and that will give you a place to stick your finger and pull on the panel below. Then you have to unscrew the panel above that, which includes the pop-out drawer, and I believe the door that covers the CD changer. There should be screws to remove the CD changer once you get that out. I don't remember, but the changer might come out with the radio section. I've done it before to eliminate a rattle, though, and it's not too difficult. Just make sure you don't drop the screws down inside the dash, and use towels to protect the wood trim pieces when you remove them.

Are you using self-burned CDRs? That might be related to your issue.

You mentioned your car has no warranty. Is that because it has over 60,000 miles on it?

It's not hard to remove the changer, but getting into it might be another matter. To remove it, remove the small wood strip just above the shift knob (it has the window shade button on it). This will just pry out from the right and left sides. You might have better luck if you open the little pop-out drawer above it and that will give you a place to stick your finger and pull on the panel below. Then you have to unscrew the panel above that, which includes the pop-out drawer, and I believe the door that covers the CD changer. There should be screws to remove the CD changer once you get that out. I don't remember, but the changer might come out with the radio section. I've done it before to eliminate a rattle, though, and it's not too difficult. Just make sure you don't drop the screws down inside the dash, and use towels to protect the wood trim pieces when you remove them.

You mentioned your car has no warranty. Is that because it has over 60,000 miles on it?

Thanks very much for your reply. No, just standard storebought CD's were used. It seems the changer must come out anyway for repair, so I'll give it a try.

My car has a "salvage title" which voids all warranties. A very quirky law in California. In a minor wreck, it had very little damage to the bumper and for whatever reason, the insurance company ended up owning it. A perfect car with less than 20k miles. I must say that I regret owning that "black cloud" on the title, but what car it is!

I just replied to your message, however I didn't read your response here first. So the CDs are just regular CDs...unless they're scratched or something, you're probably going to have to replace the changer.

That's a shame that you have no warranty, however you should be fine. These cars are great. I'm sure you'll continue to love it! I've always wanted an LS, and finally got an '03 a few years ago, then traded that in for my '05 a few months ago. I can't think of another car that I'd rather have!

Yours sounds very similar to mine. When I bought it, it had just over 19K miles on it, which is great. My '03 had 36K when I bought it, and just over 60K when I traded it in. Not that I needed to get rid of it, but I really prefer the updated body style (headlamps, tail lamps, etc.) on the '04-'06, and the wheels on the newer models (I have the 5-spoke non-chrome) are MUCH better. :rolleyes:

Anyway, feel free to send me a message anytime. I'm no expert, but I love the cars and I'll do whatever I can to help a fellow LS fan!

Take care.

• 3 weeks later...

Something similar happened to me when i tried to unload a CD in my 6 disk changer. I FREAKED then realised that for whatever reason the CD was not being picked up by the eject mechanism. It's probably something to do with the laquer or whatever they used to print the artwork (it was disk 1 of the Eurythmics Live CD BTW which has a lot of art on it). Oddly I have never had this problem with a regular CDR.

If it's stuck in the loading process you can try this:

1. turn the car off if it's running
  2. take an index card or a business card and cover the end of it with double sided (or reversed) tape so it's sticky on both sides
  3. turn the unit on and hit eject. When the door opens; stick the card inside and try to grab the CD.

This worked well for me. Once i grabbed it and moved it past wherever it had jammed the CD spit out with no problems and the CD changer seems to work fine. I would avoid using anything metal as you might break something in the mechanism and really do some damage.

Also the CD changer and radio do come out as a unit; you'll need a 10mm socket wrench with extender to remove the two big bolts that hold it in. And like 03 says be VERY careful...there is a CAVERN under that part of the car and where a screw falls it may stay (and rattle) forever.

Thanks very much for your reply. No, just standard storebought CD's were used. It seems the changer must come out anyway for repair, so I'll give it a try.

My car has a "salvage title" which voids all warranties. A very quirky law in California. In a minor wreck, it had very little damage to the bumper and for whatever reason, the insurance company ended up owning it. A perfect car with less than 20k miles. I must say that I regret owning that "black cloud" on the title, but what car it is!

• 8 months later...

1. turn the car off if it's running

2. take an index card or a business card and cover the end of it with double sided (or reversed) tape so it's sticky on both sides

3. turn the unit on and hit eject. When the door opens; stick the card inside and try to grab the CD.

that trick worked!!

I also have a SC430 with 6CD mark levinson sound system. The first CD got stuck and I followed these instructions and it worked great. I kept doing the EJECT command while trying to pull the CD and eventually the CD went out. I could do all this without forcing or pushing hard on anything

Turned out the CD that got stuck was about 50% thicker then a regular CD!! So be careful about which CD you put in there!

Claude

Then you've saved enough to pay the Dealer $600. I had the same error message and my Dealer, even though out of warranty time wise (not mileage wise) swapped it out. I believe it would have cost me $800 from the ticket they gave me. They also changed out the Subwoofer and that would have been about $550.

I just took my cd changer out and took it apart, 4 cds stuck, I dont see how this works. Does the laser pickup move or is it fixed in the center. The changer is shot, and now my ML amp must be out because no sound. This sucks, and I cany find the amp, I see the nav unit in trunk but dont see an amp? Anyone have pics. I have 2002 LS430 with nav and ML

• 8 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Pretty disgusting that a $60,000+ Toyota has such an inferior sound system. CDRs  jammed in my 2005 ls430 mark levinson disk changer with no MP3 capabilities the first month I had the car. And there is nothing I can do or haven't already tried. Even my niece's 2005 Hyundai Tucson has a factory radio with a CD that plays MP3s. Lexus dealer tells me I have to replace the entire unit. Seriously?  I had a 1996 Acura RL with 6 CD changer and it NEVER jammed. This nonsense about using a business card and 2 sided tape to remove the CD from a $2000 sound upgrade option is laughable. The sound system itself sounds tinny with very poor frequency response. The ls430 is such a great automobile otherwise.