Cleaning The Nav Screen

Unfortunately my beautiful 400h was vandalized with some sort of acid. Squirted all around like an equator in an old library globe, it took a month to have the car stripped down to the metal, repainted,new plastic trim applied,bumpers replaced,tail lights... the whole nine yards......oy vey, July was a rough month for me. The body shop was highly recommended and my little princess was among Bentleys and Lotuses and other such princely autos...anywho, I got it back looking better than new (I say better because they put more paint than any production car can get..) it was detailed so it was as if it just came off the production line...but later I did notice that they must have used something on the Nav screen. It's a wee bit blotchy...anyone have any sugestions as to what to do? What to use on a Nav Screen? BTW, I had a Chevy Cavalier for the month...when I got my Lexus back, I almost kissed its steering wheel as I drove as if I just landed back on Earth and got to kiss the ground after being marrooned on another planet....the car felt SO amazingly better than any car I have ever driven!!!....definately better than the little Chevy!...cheers, Rey Bustos, happy again with my"reborn" Lexus....

Unfortunately my beautiful 400h was vandalized with some sort of acid. Squirted all around like an equator in an old library globe, it took a month to have the car stripped,new plastic applied,bumpers replaced,tail lights... the whole nine yards......oy vey, July was a rough month for me. The body shop was highly recommended and my little princess was among Bentleys and Lotuses and other such princely autos...anywho, I got it back looking better than new (I say better because they put more paint than any production car can get..) it was detailed so it was as if it just came off the production line...but later I did notice that they must have used something on the Nav screen. It's a wee bit blotchy...anyone have any sugestions as to what to do? What to use on a Nav Screen? BTW, I had a Chevy Cavalier for the month...when I got my Lexus back, I almost kissed its steering wheel as I drove as if I just landed back on Earth and got to kiss the ground after being marrooned on another planet....the car felt SO amazingly better than any car I have ever driven!!!....definately better than the little Chevy!...cheers, Rey Bustos, happy again with my"reborn" Lexus....

Wow, that's tragic. What motivates people? You might say this borders on hate crime. Your car was definitely targeted for some reaon, this was not a random act. But, I'm glad you got your Lexus back and I share your gratitude for its engineering and comfort.

Your NAV screen should be cleaned with mild soap and water (damp sponge). If it's still blotchy or greasy looking, it could be that some kind of leather/plastic cleaner was use on it. If this is the case then using more of that kind of prodcut may help even out the appearance (but it will have more glare).

If you are not satisfied, you may have to take it back to your body shop and ask for consideration. From your description, I'm sure they would be more than willing to make it right. A new screen may be in order.

Unfortunately my beautiful 400h was vandalized with some sort of acid. Squirted all around like an equator in an old library globe, it took a month to have the car stripped,new plastic applied,bumpers replaced,tail lights... the whole nine yards......oy vey, July was a rough month for me. The body shop was highly recommended and my little princess was among Bentleys and Lotuses and other such princely autos...anywho, I got it back looking better than new (I say better because they put more paint than any production car can get..) it was detailed so it was as if it just came off the production line...but later I did notice that they must have used something on the Nav screen. It's a wee bit blotchy...anyone have any sugestions as to what to do? What to use on a Nav Screen? BTW, I had a Chevy Cavalier for the month...when I got my Lexus back, I almost kissed its steering wheel as I drove as if I just landed back on Earth and got to kiss the ground after being marrooned on another planet....the car felt SO amazingly better than any car I have ever driven!!!....definately better than the little Chevy!...cheers, Rey Bustos, happy again with my"reborn" Lexus....

Wow, that's tragic. What motivates people? You might say this borders on hate crime. Your car was definitely targeted for some reaon, this was not a random act. But, I'm glad you got your Lexus back and I share your gratitude for its engineering and comfort.

Your NAV screen should be cleaned with mild soap and water (damp sponge). If it's still blotchy or greasy looking, it could be that some kind of leather/plastic cleaner was use on it. If this is the case then using more of that kind of prodcut may help even out the appearance (but it will have more glare).

If you are not satisfied, you may have to take it back to your body shop and ask for consideration. From your description, I'm sure they would be more than willing to make it right. A new screen may be in order.

Don't wana sound like I'm waxing philosophical, but what crime isn't hate? Let's see murder, arson, robbery, etc ... yep. All hate. I never got the whole hate thing I guess. But Rey, sorry to hear it. You didn't want to take the oportunity to have it painted some cool non-stock color? My wife really likes that dark blue/purple that's everywhere now days. As for the screen I'd ask the dealer for a reccomendation.

check to see that the screen wasnt scratched by an abrasive towel or cleaning agent. can you touch the screen and feel scratches??? i would only use an optical cleaner safe for glasses or somthing non ammonia like stoners invisible glass sprayed on a soft bath towel and then applied to the screen...btw a hate crime targets a specific person for ther race, religion or beliefs, much crime is random or a crime of opportunity (easy access) to get money for drugs. trust me my brother in law was a victim of a hate crime on a univesity campus, and when he was stalked by a fellow armed teacher who was angry because he wasnt given tenure, it was real, serious and scary.

No, I don't feel any type of scratching. I actually have Stoners' "Invisble" glass...I hadn't realized that it wasn't amonia based! Thanks for the tip...and thanks to all of you for the warm thoughts on my sad experience. I actually feel better now but the guy who did this has to go to sleep knowing he's a small person. I am a very dedicated and loving teacher, I go to bed like a baby and with a sense of value and knowing that I add to life. I didn't want to say this but I actually think that I know who did it...hate? yes, it takes hate to do this kind of a thing. I can undestand the career thief, the drug addict...I don't like that type of person, but I can understand it...it wouldn't be personal if someone took my radio, it was more violating personally when it was simply to get to me through my property, to terrorize. He and the ilk are cowards and there is a greater justice beyond me or any of us for such people. I am happy, he is not....'nuff said! Thanks all, I will try the soft soap and or the Stoners....I may wait for a couple more suggestions and see if we can all learn something by all of the different ideas/suggestions. Warmly, Rey

I have a computer cleaning kit that I bought at Office Depot. It includes a monitor screen cleaner that works great for smudges and the like.

Sorry to hear about the hate crime. There are crimes of greed, crimes of passion, and crimes of desperation; yours was definitely a crime of hate.

However, it's good to hear that you have your baby back! :cheers:

Wow! The Stoner's Invisible Glass was GREAT! I misted a microfiber towel and gently wiped the screen and it's like new again! It worked better than expected, thanks! I have tried the screen protector and maybe it was the brand that I bought but it looked bad on the screen, I had to take it off...anyway, for all of you, Stoners worked like magic. Rey

Yep, I was away, Lexusless, and had nothing to ask or contribute to our site in July. It was a tough month for me but things are looking up, I am happy, and the car is better than ever. It was so great to have it back. It really is a fabulous automobile...dammit. I bought a nifty cover for it that was made for the RX and it fits like a glove, it even has pushed out areas for the mirrors and even the antenna! I was pleasantly surprised to see that it even had a clear,plastic window for the back license plate to show. I know it won't keep anyne who really wants to ruin a car from doing so but it does keep the car clean and cooler while I'm at school teaching. Anyway, I'm back so watch out for my usual silly questions and comments. Warmly, Rey

Oh, I didn't opt to change the color because it really would have been an awful lot more to have that done since they would really have to take the car apart even more than they did to get all of the inside areas painted as well. I would have had to pay too much extra over what the insurance deemed appropriate. It was over $6,000 as it was! I paid the $250 deductable and I was happy. BTW, I have 21st Century car insurance and they were terrific and they made the ordeal much nicer and took care of everything, smoothly and without any problems whatsoever......I don't know if 21st is anywhere outside of California...well, anyway, they were aces and I am so glad that they are such a great company. The only "tough" thing was waiting almost a month to get my car back but this body shop,Prestige Coach Works in Marina del Rey, was also top notch and very thourough so in the end I was very happy about how all of this ugliness was handled by all. I have to say though,I did get spoiled by this car for the last year and being without it reminded me as to how lucky I am to have my lovely 400h!

Toodle-loo, Rey

Quite a coincidence, Ray, it was 20th Century that repainted my 65 Mustang that was vandalized in Manhattan Beach many years ago.

Regards,

Tom

Ooops, sorry Tom,I didn't write that last post clearly....21st Century is my car insurance company, Prestige Coach Craft was the body shop...anyway, for anyone in the L.A. area, I highly recommend that body shop, they are in Marina Del Rey.

Warmly, Rey

Tom, you are still living in the past...it's 21st Century Insurance now! Lol.... Silly goose...be well, and smile often, Rey in L.A.