Lurching Forward From A Dead Stop

Glenn Schabel

So far, I love my "new" 99 LS400. I've done some maintenance, repaired the bad radio LCD, installed mud guards, etc. :rolleyes:

One annoying "problem": :wacko:

When I hit the accelerator from a dead stop, the car lurches forward fairly harshly, giving an uncomfortable feeling. No, I'm not flooring it or nailing it at all, just normal acceleration.

If I very carefully, gently like a feather accelerate, it seems fine.

No, it's not the transmission or anything like that, seems more like the throttle is over sensitive initially.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for this?

I doubt that Lexus designed this car to have such an "annoying problem"!

Thanks in advance!

Glenn

So far, I love my "new" 99 LS400. I've done some maintenance, repaired the bad radio LCD, installed mud guards, etc. :rolleyes:

One annoying "problem"::wacko:

When I hit the accelerator from a dead stop, the car lurches forward fairly harshly, giving an uncomfortable feeling. No, I'm not flooring it or nailing it at all, just normal acceleration.

If I very carefully, gently like a feather accelerate, it seems fine.

No, it's not the transmission or anything like that, seems more like the throttle is over sensitive initially.

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for this?

I doubt that Lexus designed this car to have such an "annoying problem"!

Thanks in advance!

Glenn

you wouldn't think they would have that problem....but they do, still to this day..all toyotas do. it is due to the electronic throttle "drive by wire" setup. they have yet to perfect it. it's their one area of issue. drive a new toyota, it's there. they implimented the drive-by-wire setup in 1998. you'll eventually get use to it, and find you've adjusted your driving for it. before long, you won't even notice it. my buddy who is a lawyer in florida is working up a legal case against lexus, becuase his IS300 is so bad he's nearly been killed by the hesitation when trying to cross traffic. The dealership has been so arrogant towards him that he's about to take action against them. It's the one and only reason why I'm shying away from Toyota for my next car, and didn't buy my wife one a few months ago. I had her sold on the new camry's, but after a test drive, she instantly said she hated the throttle feeling, and it hesitated on the test drive coming out of the dealership into traffic. That split second turned me off completely as a car for her.

I was about to post about the exact thing. My 98 is really hard to launch smoothly from a dead stop. Then I feel a flat spot just before the 1 to 2 shift. So...this is normal for this car? Just changed timing belt and plugs and I was hoping that would make a diference, but it's excactly the same.

Well........... making some progress here ........... :rolleyes:

Over the weekend, I changed the trans fluid (full flush), changed the rear diff oil, changed the PCV valve and air filter.

Seems like my gas mileage has increased nicely. and the lurching from a dead stop is less or more controlled.

It could be that I am just getting used to it as well, and feather touching the gas pedal!