Transmission Issue?

Im looking at buying a 95 SC400 from a local dealler and i had a few questions about it. I took it for a test drive today and i noticed a few problems... One, the most severe i think, whenever you put the car into drive from any other gear, it kicks super hard. Also, in first it doesnt seem to want to go...has a little whinning noise and doesnt seem to want to shift to second. Another problem, the telescope doesnt go down? Ive looked at 2 local SC400's and neither of them will go down, only in and out. Any information would help, i dont have a lot of money and i really want to get something i wont have to but a lot of cash into. Thanks for your time.

100mgbluepill, It sounds like there is a problem with the transmission, if the car is not shifting properly from 1st to 2nd. I would not purchase this vehicle or a SC for that matter, if you don't want to put a lot of cash into the car. The maintenance and parts etc. are expensive with any Toyota/Lexus car purchase. Good Luck, with your car search.

My concern isnt really with the shifting first to second since i only stayed in the parking lot but rather the car kicking really hard when i put it into drive. If its an easy fix then i will buy the car since its the best price i can do around my area. Also, if the telescope barely moves or doesnt move at all, how much would that cost to get repaired?

My 93 SC has the same problem (pops into gear when shifting from park to reverse or drive, slight whining sound, and takes a long time to shift out of the the low gear when driving), but all these symptoms go away and the car works like a champ once the engine/tranny has warmed up. One mechanic told me was that it could be either a clogged valve or the clutch plates are worn. Another told me that it could be the hyrdaulic pump crapping out. Bottom line, the transmission is worn and needs to be replaced. I called around for a couple of quotes to install a rebuilt tranny... $2.3-3.5K. In the meantime, I've added tranny additive and it seemed to help a little but the symptoms are still there.