Oil Changes.........lexus Or A Your Neighborhood Cheap Place?

I am just wondering since I purchased a 2000 Lexus GS with 63,000 miles, do you have to take it to Lexus to get the oil changeed and pay $100.00 dollars or would you pay at least over $30.00 dollars at a cheaper place? Or do you have to do at the Lexus dealership? I would appreciate the responses because I am not familiar with any type of Lexus vehicles.

I just sold my '00 with 107k and for the most part used Walmart Supertech oil changes. I suppose you could get some good arguments going pro and con. I used Walmart mainly because it was convienent. You can find some excellent mechs and good advise at cartalk.com. By the way, I never had a problem with the engine because of oil or anything else-- just lucky maybe.

I purchased my 1999 GS300 19 months ago with 52k miles and took it to the Lexus dealer for the first 9 months, but since then I've been taking it to my local (and trusted) Goodyear shop and saving the money.

On the same note, I too just became owner of a 2000 GS300 and noticed that the manual and gas cap say premium unleaded only. Is it terribly important to only put premium in and when I say premium I refer to 91 octane or higher? Is there anyone out there that has always used regular unleaded and has been just fine? On the other side is there anyone out there that has experienced problems with using regular unleaded? I am new to Lexus so I wanted to ask some owners with experience.

Thanks,

RS

I would suggest to stick with premium unleaded. You have a high performance car. I have put regular unleaded for a couple of months and noticed a drop off in acceleration. Went back to super unleaded. My GS 400 is back was back in business runnng like a high performance car.

On the same note, I too just became owner of a 2000 GS300 and noticed that the manual and gas cap say premium unleaded only. Is it terribly important to only put premium in and when I say premium I refer to 91 octane or higher? Is there anyone out there that has always used regular unleaded and has been just fine? On the other side is there anyone out there that has experienced problems with using regular unleaded? I am new to Lexus so I wanted to ask some owners with experience.

Thanks,

RS

I have an 06 GS and I use 89 car runs perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I figure if you own a Lexus like myself, you can afford to put 93 Oct in your gas. It's just a few dollars more than regular unleaded, and your car will run much better.

In my world comparing regular gas to premium in your lexus is like running a Packard Bell 486 Processor with a 52x CD Burner =O

• 3 weeks later...
I am just wondering since I purchased a 2000 Lexus GS with 63,000 miles, do you have to take it to Lexus to get the oil changeed and pay $100.00 dollars or would you pay at least over $30.00 dollars at a cheaper place? Or do you have to do at the Lexus dealership? I would appreciate the responses because I am not familiar with any type of Lexus vehicles.

I have 98 GS300 and have never taken to the dealer for oil change. Go to Jiffy Lube or those places who carry oil filter for Lexus. Many times, local shops don't carry and they don't even tell you and still charge. It happened to me. I pay $23 at Jiffy Lube and it is worth it.