Front Main Seal Leak?

mrhanky172

Hi, my cousin recently purchused a 91' ls400 with about 170,000 miles. It has recently developed a nice oil leak. We found the leak and it looks like it is coming from this area. (front main seal maby?) The oil is leaking right where the arrow is pointing. The picture shown is taken from the front bottom of the engine. Does the motor need to be pulled to repair this? How involved is the fix? I really dont want to have to take this to a shop in I dont have to :(. Thanks for any and all help!!!! -Mike

lexusleakhh9.th.jpg

The arrow points to where the oil pump seals to the block.

You would have to perform the steps for replacing a Water Pump and then remove the #1 oil pan, oil pan baffle plate, oil pickup screen, #2 oil pan and finally the oil pump. Not having done this, I don't know if you'll have to drop the crossmember or not. If you do, then you'll need to support the engine with an engine hoist - but you won't have to pull the engine. :rolleyes:

hanky:

Scott is correct, it is not for the faint of heart. Read the link that Scott provided. It's a very good representation of what needs to happen. No, the engine does not have to be pulled (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). The cross member doesn't have to come out.

It is essentially the same procedure as replacing the timing belt, but only slightly more involved. The bulk of the expense is from the labor to get everything torn down to the point where things like the water pump, timing belt, idlers (& main seal) can be replaced. $1490.00 in labor & $10.00 for the main seal. I did mine (1995) entirely from the top down (no hoist) & it was a complete PITA. Nothing that 6 months of physical therapy wouldn't/didn't cure.......

If your cousin is going to go for it, he should bite the bullet, find a GOOD independent mechanic (we call 'em "indie's"), & have him do it. In addition to everything else, also have him do the front camshaft seals while he's in there.

• 2 months later...

I just posted something about what I thought was leaking tranny fluid, and it seems to be leaking exactly where it is in the top picture. However, I am using Mobil 1, and I can't figure out why the stuff leaking out has a reddish tint to it. It isn't leaking much oil, but I am wondering how much it would cost to fix this leak... If it is the oil pump seal, and it is dripping a little, what sounds reasonable for an indie mechanic to charge to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated... As a college student I am not looking forward to a huge repair bill......

p.s.- While it isn't tranny fluid, because of the reddish tint I thought it could be the coolant, but it has an oily feel to it... so am I correct in assuming it is oil?

I just posted something about what I thought was leaking tranny fluid, and it seems to be leaking exactly where it is in the top picture. However, I am using Mobil 1, and I can't figure out why the stuff leaking out has a reddish tint to it. It isn't leaking much oil, but I am wondering how much it would cost to fix this leak... If it is the oil pump seal, and it is dripping a little, what sounds reasonable for an indie mechanic to charge to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated... As a college student I am not looking forward to a huge repair bill......

p.s.- While it isn't tranny fluid, because of the reddish tint I thought it could be the coolant, but it has an oily feel to it... so am I correct in assuming it is oil?

I would not assume it is oil until proven. I have heard that synthentic oil is notorious for finding the smallest cracks. So, I would keep a careful

eye on all fluids, especially the oil and coolant to determine if levels are decreasing. Also, clean the offending area well and make sure you are

not being fooled by something flowing down from above. The good news is this is not 'life' threatening to the engine...yet.

Now, what's a college student doing driving a Lex? I had a beat-up old Mustang in college. I am jealous!! Life just aint fair. :cries:

Well, I took the car to the shop today, and found out it was my thermostat that was leaking down the front of the engine, which would explain the red stuff on the drip pan. Talk about relief... the mechanic said it looked like the wp was leaking, but it was just dripping down the front... my only question is, they used green coolant to refill the system, and it is still a little low. I have a gallon of the red Toyota stuff, but after looking on some other posts it looks like mixing the coolants is a bad idea... should I flush out all the green stuff or just add distilled water... I'd prefer to keep my radiator functioning properly! Thanks....