"certified" (cpo) Standard?

alnn123

Newbie first post.

I just purchased a CPO '03 GX from a local dealer. The black exterior had no dents, but many scratches and paint blemishes.

I raised the issue presale and the dealer agreed to "wet sand" the entire exterior to remove as many imperfections after we closed the deal. I agreed, bought the car and they are in process of fixing these exterior issues under a "We Owe" slip.

My understanding was that a CPO car exterior should be reconditioned to "like new" with no dents scratches, chips, blemishes etc. so i expect the dealer to recondition the car to "like new" under the CPO standard.

Here is my question, what exactly is considered "like new" under the CPO policy?

I understand it is likely subjective but should i expect a pristine exterior or settle for some minor imperfections?

I'm trying to set my expectations accordingly.

Thanks.

Unless the scratches are HUGE and deep, they wont re-paint etc. They will use touch up paint and buff etc, but that's about it unless the damage is really bad. A lot of dealers re-paint bad areas before they put it up for sale. I tried to get my dealer to re-paint my mirror because of a few scratches before i purchased my rx300 cpo in 05 but they said all they "needed" to do for their standards was use touch-up.