R12 To R134

NikolinaJ

Hi,

Can somebody please tell me how expensive is a kit to do a retrofit on my 1992 Lexus LS400, and also Is there a special one just for lexus or is this same in every car? Thanks

Strange you should ask that question at this particular moment in time...

I just returned from Memphis where the A/C in my brother's 91 LS400 had suddenly stopped working.

It didn't take long to discover that there was NO refrigerant in the system. 16 year old car, 150,000+ miles and SUDDENLY the refrigerant (assume freon) has gone missing.

Just after a visit to GoodYear for an oil change.......

I looked the system over for leaks and the only thing I found was that the top of the EPR valve was oily and dirty from dust sticking to the oil. removed the cruise control to have a better look and low and behold there lays a red straw very much like attached to a can of WD-40.

So I called around to get prices/quotes for checking the system and converting to R-134a. First call was to Lexus of Memphis who told me that on a car that old they would simply start by replacing all of the major components since installing only the "failed" one would undoubtedly overstress other components resulting in them also failig. "Don't call me, I'll call you" was my response.

Second quote, yellow pages, was $450. Third quote, Hacks Cross area, was for $150. I paid $125 in Bellevue WA last year to have my LS converted.

Converted the system to R-134a (48 ounces??) with no repairs whatsoever and a week later it is still holding the charge.

I understand GoodYear pays their mechanics/techicians 30% of any "upselling" they do, but....

You can buy a kit and enough R-134a for ~$50. Legally you should have a shop pump down the system, remove all the freon for recycling, before installing R-134a and the system will need a few ounces of oil and only the A/C shop can do that for you.

Several sites discuss that the original flex (typically rubber covered) hoses for an R-12 system will leak more than hoses specifically designed for R-134a, so you may want to replace those along with the conversion. The shop doing the conversion can probably make or acquire appropriate hoses for you. If the shop can't pull a vacuum during the conversion, you will know there is a significant leak that also needs to be fixed. The alternative to replacing the hoses is to purchase a few additional cans of R-134a and a refill kit, before individual use of R-134a is also banned (California is talking about that).