Need Advice On Buying Rx300

BBLexus

I have an opportunity to buy my Mom's 2002 RX300. It has 60K miles and has been very well maintained by a local Lexus dealer. I have read there is a known or common reference to problems with transmissions on 02 RX300 models. In reviewing the maintenance records for the vehicle, the transmission fluids were changed as per the regular maintenance intervals recommend. At 30K miles/April '04 the service records indicated that the solenoid and transmission pan gasket were changed due to 'valve malfunction'. 30 miles and 3 days later a check engine light was on and the problem was identified as a torque converter lock up clutch. The dealership replaced the transmission at no cost.

Having read some of the complaints about tranmission problems with this model, I don't want inherit a potential major expense. By replacing the tranmission, did Lexus provide a replacement that won't have the problems that other RX owners have complained about? Or did the transmission replacement essentially give me a 30K mile extension before a future failure may occur?

I have an 93 ES300 that I have been driving and I'm loyal to the brand and would love to step up to a newer/different model but I am concerned about a potential problem that seems to resonate from the RX300 community.

I've got an opportunity to get the vehicle at trade in value to the dealer, about $15k, is this vehicle a great buy? Will the tranmission problem still be a concern down the road? Are there other problems that other RX300 owners know about that I should be aware of?

I have an opportunity to buy my Mom's 2002 RX300. It has 60K miles and has been very well maintained by a local Lexus dealer. I have read there is a known or common reference to problems with transmissions on 02 RX300 models. In reviewing the maintenance records for the vehicle, the transmission fluids were changed as per the regular maintenance intervals recommend. At 30K miles/April '04 the service records indicated that the solenoid and transmission pan gasket were changed due to 'valve malfunction'. 30 miles and 3 days later a check engine light was on and the problem was identified as a torque converter lock up clutch. The dealership replaced the transmission at no cost.

Having read some of the complaints about tranmission problems with this model, I don't want inherit a potential major expense. By replacing the tranmission, did Lexus provide a replacement that won't have the problems that other RX owners have complained about? Or did the transmission replacement essentially give me a 30K mile extension before a future failure may occur?

I have an 93 ES300 that I have been driving and I'm loyal to the brand and would love to step up to a newer/different model but I am concerned about a potential problem that seems to resonate from the RX300 community.

I've got an opportunity to get the vehicle at trade in value to the dealer, about $15k, is this vehicle a great buy? Will the tranmission problem still be a concern down the road? Are there other problems that other RX300 owners know about that I should be aware of?

BUY IT, NOW, QUICKLY...!!!

Buy it, it is a nice car, get the tranny fluid changed once a year or every 15k miles, and if it breaks get it repaired at a good independent transmission shop. The Car is a great cruiser, and you will love it.

[bUY IT, NOW, QUICKLY...!!!

I cant second that sentiment enough. If you read through the archives thoroughly there arent nearly as many 01-03 transmission problems as there seem to be in the 99/00 years, and at this point the mileage differential between years isnt a significant factor any longer. I'd personally feel perfectly fine in buying this vehicle at a higher price than its being offered to you.

• 3 weeks later...