Warning Messages

jweiss

Today, the VSC(Vehicle Stability Control, VSC OFF, and Check Engine warning messages came on simultaneously. Checked for usual suspects (low fuel, gas cap loose) and called Lexus. They can't see me for two days, and the customer service rep didn't seem too concerned about driving it till then. He's a nice guy, but I think being on this bulletin board makes me more knowlegeable about the car than he is.

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what codes they'll likely find? Since it's on warranty I'm not concerned about what it will cost (but come to think of it, they'll probably find something that they'll claim is wear and tear).

BTW, I suggested to the sales guy who sold me the car (who's really quite decent and very much unlike the image of car salesman) that if he really wants to understand the car and his customers, he should check out this site.

sk,

Went to Scarborough Lexus yesterday, and they cleared the code. Service rep said it was an emissions function, and if it comes on again, they'll do further investigation.

A couple of points. I made this appointment 2 days ago, and when i arrived the guy was gruff and said that he'd have to make an appointment for me since they were too busy. I reminded him that this WAS an appointment time. He took the car with some misgivings (my wife was also surprised about his behaviour, since this was my first dealings with them). He told me it would take awhile because they were so busy, and I said that was fine since I wanted to get it right. So we settled in the wait room with our yellow lab, and he got me in 15 minutes to give me the news. I inquired about the inconvenience of having to come back again, if they really didn't know what caused it. He was a little better now, softened by having Montana there since he has a dog of his own.

My question to you is, could this be a function of having used regular gas in the last 2 tankfulls? (First because it was only grade available on Thruway near Buffalo since they were running out of gas, and the second time was because of the outrageous price at the pump, 82.9/litre for regular at Loblaws No-Frills).

I should say that the warning lights didn't come on this AM, and I put mid-grade fuel in the car.

Thanks.

Its very possible that it wasn't the regular but you just got some bad gas. My family is from the mountains of West Virginia, and you have to be careful where you get gas because bad gas thats been sitting a long time, full of water etc makes the car drive like hell, warning lights etc are not uncommon.

sk,

He didn't have time to get the paperwork from technician, so he said he'd send it. I asked him to fax it, but didn't hear from him.

Unfortunately I have to drive to NYC this weekend for funeral, so hopefully it won't reappear.

Downtown Toyota is very close to my house- I don't like their salespeople (my daughter bought a car from them), but would that be an option if they're good with service and lexus would honour the warranty?

sk,

Just spoke with scarborough lexus. The code is PO440, an evaporation code, that might mean that the air flow sensor was a little clogged, suggesting dirt in gas, or an oxygen sensor, which could have been responding to regular gas. Since it hasn't come back in over 48 hours, it probably is ok.

Followup- no warning lights have gone and its been over a week, so that's good news.

However, anyone got a clue as to why both VSC lights trigger off the cel, especially when it's an Evaporation code, PO440?

Owners manual gives no hint of this.

it just sounds like a problem related to over filling the gas as when you fill the gas to the top with some cars

it leaks dow into the active charcoal canisters to store the fumes to later be released into the system

as it is an emmision control device to not pollute th air with raw fuel

so when the car starts it increase the pressure and some how send more gas coming up the neck for the tank causing it to drain in to the catch system