Tiptronic Bad Or Good?

My lexus IS 250 is just 2 months old and i dont feel that the tiptronic is performing that well... It seems that it is inconsistent and has a huge delay for some shifts. Are there any solutions or explanations to this problem? got any tips?

Thanks.

My lexus IS 250 is just 2 months old and i dont feel that the tiptronic is performing that well... It seems that it is inconsistent and has a huge delay for some shifts. Are there any solutions or explanations to this problem? got any tips?

Thanks.

Have you driven manual shift before?

It's not the greatest system. My TL's sport shift was better. The Lex system overrides the manual control too often--like if you give the car a little gas, it downshifts. It shouldn't autmatically down shift unless you are going so slow, the car just won't go.

It's not the greatest system. My TL's sport shift was better. The Lex system overrides the manual control too often--like if you give the car a little gas, it downshifts. It shouldn't autmatically down shift unless you are going so slow, the car just won't go.

YES! Thats exactly what happens, i want to feel in control when i am driving manual, but it changes gears for you way to often even when its not necessary. I guess its not really me because i have heard some feedback that the system isnt responsive and is kind of slow..

thanks.

If the car downshifts, then you haven't selected the proper gear in the first place. If you're shifting for performance, then you should have already downshifted.

Correct :cheers:

If it's changing down then your not being serious enough and may as well leave it in auto, otherwise keep the revs up so your always in the power zone, same as you would with a spirited drive in a standard manual. :whistles:

If the car downshifts, then you haven't selected the proper gear in the first place. If you're shifting for performance, then you should have already downshifted.

Yes, that's correct. That's also called an "Automatic" transmission. If I wanted it to automatically select another gear for me, I wouldn't put it in manual mode. If I'm not hurting the engine, and I give the car a little gas (I stress "a little"), in manual mode, the car should not downshift. Ever. Manual mode is not solely for "performance", it's to have full control over shifting the transmission. I serioulsy doubt Audi's DSG would do that.

YES! Thats exactly what happens, i want to feel in control when i am driving manual, but it changes gears for you way to often even when its not necessary. I guess its not really me because i have heard some feedback that the system isnt responsive and is kind of slow..

thanks.

I owned a VW Passat with tiptronic (that is the official name for the Audi, VW and Porsche system, not the Lexus), it overrode the driver's attempt to manual control in both downshifting AND upshifting. I test-drove the new Passat with DSG, it overrode the driver in downshifting just like the IS. However, in both cases of DSG and the Lexus, if the gearbox overrides, the rev has already been too low beyond the powerzone. Most cars will override the drivers rather than stalling the engines. So, I agree with Bluey and bartkat that if you experience overriding shifts, you may not be working hard enough to keep yourself in gear.

<_<

I drove my IS through winding hilly roads using the "manual" S mode shifting among 2-3-4, it worked perfectly and kept me alway in 2500-4500 rpm. Under such spirited driving, I never experienced any overriding changes (unlike the Passat which occassionally upshifted for me). Given that the IS S-mode is actually a top gear limited automatic, the gearbox performance is really very satisfactory. The only thing I hope is that the engine gives more audio clues about what revs it is doing.

:rolleyes:

The S (sequential, I think) mode can be used as an economical mode. If one uses S and upshifts to 6 and keeps it there, the gearbox will be in an automatic mode which maintains the tallest possible gear (upshifts at the earliest possible moment and refuses to downshift until the last moment) and boosts economy (while, of course, limits performance).

:geek:

Yes, that's correct. That's also called an "Automatic" transmission. If I wanted it to automatically select another gear for me, I wouldn't put it in manual mode. If I'm not hurting the engine, and I give the car a little gas (I stress "a little"), in manual mode, the car should not downshift. Ever. Manual mode is not solely for "performance", it's to have full control over shifting the transmission. I serioulsy doubt Audi's DSG would do that.

Never mind.

Yep i figured it all out guys... if im riding in gear 3 and at about 3 rpm's and i want more power i just down shift and give it some gas... the engine sounds amazing when in S mode ... the sound is really nice, and it seems like the manual has a little more power because u can keep it in the gears longer, in the power zone

later

Yep i figured it all out guys... if im riding in gear 3 and at about 3 rpm's and i want more power i just down shift and give it some gas... the engine sounds amazing when in S mode ... the sound is really nice, and it seems like the manual has a little more power because u can keep it in the gears longer, in the power zone

later

question...is the active steering still on when you are in S-mode? Just bought an 07 is350 - and the handling feels a little squishy in automatic. thanks.

question...is the active steering still on when you are in S-mode? Just bought an 07 is350 - and the handling feels a little squishy in automatic. thanks.

YES.

Other than unpluging the fuse of the system, I can think of no simple way of disabling the power (electrical) steering assistance. But you may get all the warning blinking and beeping if you unplug the fuse.

I do not find the steering "squishy". Although it does not give you the kick and bump kind of "feedback" of a BMW (I consider it more a problem of the McPherson strut suspension), it is nevertheless sharp and accurate. With the Lexus double wishbone, irregularities of the road do not affect pointed direction and there is no need to do minor adjustments based on such "feedback". However, if you find the steering too loose, you may need to check the tire pressure.