Check Engine Light

last thursday san antonio got drenched with like 4" of rain in one hour. anyways i was on my way home home as it started, and i had to drive thru some water. wasn't that deep, probly up to the fog lights, but i was going about 20-30mph thru it for like a 500 foot stretch. anyways, as i was approaching home, my car starting acting wierd. the revs would go up and down. like they would drop from 2k to 1k back to 2k back to 1k. then the check engine light came on. i got home fine and i let the car sit for the rest of the day. car's been acting normally since then, but im still kinda scared that something might be wrong. i dunno if i got water in the engine or what. if i did, will it hurt my engine a lot? how much does it normally cost to get this check engine light checked out?

just go to autozone.. Free

At Autozone, they're not allowed to clear that code (but still kiss !Removed! and they'll do it), but that should go away after a Drive Cycle which is about 80-100 miles. But you can go to AutoZone and they'll tell you the code.

It could be a few things. That doesn't seem too bad however. The water probably went into the exhaust system and probably a sensor issue.

i should also note that while the rpms were fluctuating, i could feel the steering column vibrate and the gas pedal. now the steering column only vibrates a lil bit at highway speeds sometimes.

thanks for input guys.

i should also note that while the rpms were fluctuating, i could feel the steering column vibrate and the gas pedal. now the steering column only vibrates a lil bit at highway speeds sometimes.

thanks for input guys.

one thing i would do is to change out all the fluids.. . .power steering, transmission, oil. just in case water got mixed with the fluids.

i suspect your exhaust system was soaked in water for a bit. you can take the chance of keep driving your car and hope the water will burn itself out, but not recommended.

i went to advanced auto parts and it came up with codes that i think are p101, p103, and p105. which he said were cylinder misfires for cylinders 1, 3, and 5. he said i might wanna replace the spark plugs and cables(or whatever he called them). does that sound right?