Number On Windshield & Rear View Mirror

klopez3709

Hi, all - couple of things I noticed on my new GX 470:

The windshield has a number imprinted on it that only shows up when the glass is wet, i.e, rain and early in the morning (dew). This is NOT something that can be wiped off inside or out. My husband thinks maybe it was written with some kind of invisible marker.

I asked the guy who sold me the car (I felt so dumb) and he has never heard of it before. The number is 8110 (better than 666 :rolleyes: ). I would like it off, but I don't want to compromise the glass. And the Lexus dealer I got the car from is 45 minutes away, so its not that easy to bring in (however there is another dealer closer.)

My second thing is probably dumb - well, yeah, it is....we had some good rain (we need it in FL) and when I backed out this morning, I noticed the rear-camera display was pretty murky / foggy - in fact it had some orange blobs on it. It seemed to mostly clear up a little later this morning, but I noticed there was still a foggy mark on it. Is this something that happens from the rain, and nothing to be concerned about it?

Thanks for all your patience with me. If you have any ideas, please respond.

Hi, all - couple of things I noticed on my new GX 470:

The windshield has a number imprinted on it that only shows up when the glass is wet, i.e, rain and early in the morning (dew). This is NOT something that can be wiped off inside or out. My husband thinks maybe it was written with some kind of invisible marker.

I asked the guy who sold me the car (I felt so dumb) and he has never heard of it before. The number is 8110 (better than 666 :rolleyes: ). I would like it off, but I don't want to compromise the glass. And the Lexus dealer I got the car from is 45 minutes away, so its not that easy to bring in (however there is another dealer closer.)

My second thing is probably dumb - well, yeah, it is....we had some good rain (we need it in FL) and when I backed out this morning, I noticed the rear-camera display was pretty murky / foggy - in fact it had some orange blobs on it. It seemed to mostly clear up a little later this morning, but I noticed there was still a foggy mark on it. Is this something that happens from the rain, and nothing to be concerned about it?

Thanks for all your patience with me. If you have any ideas, please respond.

Where is this number imprinted???

8110 sounds like the batch number of your GX. Don't hold me accountable on that, but it's just a good guess. I havent noticed that because I dont use my GX in rain, plus when I leave her to sleep outside during the night, I have a car cover so I never really noticed! lol. Where and how big is the number imprinted on the windshield??

I just happened to take a picture this morning - and also noticed another number towards the top of the window - that's a little clearer. Hopefully I can import the photos correctly - here goes. FYI: To see this correctly, you'll have to click on the pictures and scroll. Thank you for your help. I wonder what they used to write this with and how this could ever be taken off.

post-46410-1183203987_thumb.jpg

post-46410-1183204148_thumb.jpg

hmmm, that seems really strange. This obviously only shows up when the windshield is kinda foggy or a little icy, like in the pictures right?? Will it show up if, let's say you go out right now and wash the GX?? I don't quite remember seeing any numbers on my windshield during the one time, or couple times that I left my GX outside overnight w/o a car cover (only happens when it's raining that night, and the GX is the dirtiest, or it's her turn to sleep outside) but have you tried a simple glass cleaner and see if it'll go away???

hmmm, that seems really strange. This obviously only shows up when the windshield is kinda foggy or a little icy, like in the pictures right?? Will it show up if, let's say you go out right now and wash the GX?? I don't quite remember seeing any numbers on my windshield during the one time, or couple times that I left my GX outside overnight w/o a car cover (only happens when it's raining that night, and the GX is the dirtiest, or it's her turn to sleep outside) but have you tried a simple glass cleaner and see if it'll go away???

Thanks again for your wonderful responsiveness. I just received a response (edited for length below) from the salesman ( a quick response, I may add) (FYI: I'm not going to attempt the method suggested myself - will bring it in to the dealer closest to me):

After talking with the Service Dept., Body Shop, and Detailers the consensus is this. We believe that the markings were made from a grease pen. This is normal. They are used all the time on windshields for inventory and shipping purposes.

When I brought the car to the detailers, there were no markings on the window. This leads me to believe that the writing was scraped off prior to us having seen it. We can fix it for you. At your earliest convenience, bring it in.

If it is impossible for you to come in, our solution is this. We use a fine grade steel wool and glass cleaner. With some gentle elbow grease it will come off..

Well there you go! I would bring it to them and have them do it on your next oil change or something, at least if anything wrong happens they are responsible for it. ;)

Anytime, if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask them! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Update - took in to Lexus and they tried to get out the #s and it didn't work - they said it would fade in time. Guess there's no other solution and I'll have to live with it. Could be worse things, I guess. :)

Maybe you can take it to an automotive glass repair shop. They have ways and means to polish out fine scratches and may be able to get those numbers off.

How about Acetone? I dont know if it may harm the windshield, but I know that stuff really takes out literally ANYTHING...

Thanks to all for the write-backs! Don't think I'm going to attempt anything on my own. I'm out of town now - on my annual mommy-money-marathon (2 kids :D ) and was talking to the people at Firestone (trip involves taking kids cars in for State of Mass. safety inspections) and my advice was to let Lexus (not the dealer who I bought the car from) know about the "problem" and see if they can replace the glass. For the price of the car, this shouldn't happen - everything should be close to perfect. I want to make sure that its the factory glass - since I have the rain-sensoring wipers, etc. Its funny - if this happened to me, shouldn't this be more of a wide-spread issue? Also, the Lexus dealer I bought it from is 90 minutes from me and I don't want to waste another trip there.

Thanks for listening to my rants.

-Kathie

How about Acetone? I dont know if it may harm the windshield, but I know that stuff really takes out literally ANYTHING...

Thanks to all for the write-backs! Don't think I'm going to attempt anything on my own. I'm out of town now - on my annual mommy-money-marathon (2 kids :D ) and was talking to the people at Firestone (trip involves taking kids cars in for State of Mass. safety inspections) and my advice was to let Lexus (not the dealer who I bought the car from) know about the "problem" and see if they can replace the glass. For the price of the car, this shouldn't happen - everything should be close to perfect. I want to make sure that its the factory glass - since I have the rain-sensoring wipers, etc. Its funny - if this happened to me, shouldn't this be more of a wide-spread issue? Also, the Lexus dealer I bought it from is 90 minutes from me and I don't want to waste another trip there.

Thanks for listening to my rants.

-Kathie

No problem.. That's what we're here for. ;)