Questions From A Newbie Pondering An Ls

lawguy

Hey guys (and gals?) -

A newbie here. Just discovered your forum today...its solid. You guys have a really nice community going here.

I'm really pondering an '04 LS and wanted to get the thoughts of those of you who have many miles behind the wheel. As for history, I came from a 2001 BMW 740iL, sport package, etc. I really liked the car, but late last year, it started having some of the typical BMW issues (electrical problem, radiator, etc) so I got rid of it while it still had its CPO warranty. Great car, and i still miss it.

I went for an '07 BMW 550i, with sport package and manual transmission. Its a great car, and a real rocket, but hoenstly, I am missing having a full size sedan, like a 7 series or an LS. I've had an ES300 before and thought it was amazingly reliable.

So, with only 5 months and 7000 miles on the 550i, why would I sell it? I suppose that for the money ($64k), I was expecting to LOVE LOVE LOVE the car, and while I think its a great car, I dont adore it. That, and I miss a full size sedan more than I thought I would. At the time, I thought going from a 7 series to a 5 series would be fun & sporty - which it is - but I miss the luxury ride. I spend a lot of time on the interstate for work, and I miss a cruisemobile.

So, with that being said, if you will indulge me for a few questions, I would appreciate it.

1. Am I right that between '04 and '06, there are minimal changes? Thus, getting an '04 isnt missing out on anything profound?

2. I drove an LS once, with a salesman, so I didnt really get to play with it much, but as far as handling goes, is it "responsive" enough? I sort of recall it being super luxusious - kind of like a large marshmallow. I realize it wont be as "performance oriented" as the BMW cars, but does it handle well enough on curvy roads not to feel like my grandfather's car?

3. The "Sport Suspension" option - does it really change the handling? The Sweet '04 that I found doesnt have it - and I cant really find one nearby that does. Just wondering if its something I should really look hard to find.

4. Is Mark Levinson stereo everything they say.....as in, amazing?

Any other thoughts to ponder and share in my search?

I looked back through many pages of posts so as not to repeat anything previously posted, so forgive me if I am asking the regular newbie questions.

Many thanks...

- lawguy aka Pete

A few responses to your questions:

I have an '01 LS430 with the 'Ultra' package, and there are very few changes on the models since then, until the new generation LS460. I think that the only thing that may be 'missing' from my '01 vs. the '04 & newer would be the bluetooth capability. There are also a few more items that you get with the 'Ultra' package: heated and COOLED front seats, reclining back seats, driver adjustable suspension (Sport/Norm), ride height (High/Norm), and adaptive cruise control (I think that this may have become standard now).

As for the responsiveness, a lot of that 'marshmallowy' ride may be due to the tires. I have since upgraded to 18" wheels and 'summer performance tires', and I feel that it is an excellent compromise between the incredibly smooth & quite ride that the LS is renowned for and a more of a 'performance' ride that you may be used to in the BMW.

There is a definate difference between the 'Sport' and the 'Norm' settings, as this adjusts the damping of the shocks which will give less 'body roll' through the twists and turns.

The ML sound system is incredible - you just have to listen to it to appreciate it. If you are one of the people that must have their bass cranked up so high that the windows are vibrating, this may not be the system for you, but for 'balanced' listening, you will be able to hear the entire range of what is being played (you may even catch some sounds from cd's that you hadn't even been able to hear before).

These are just a few responses to your posed questions - not to mention the incredible reliability that you will come to appreciate. I purchased my LS used with 75,000 miles it now has over 105,000 and the only things I have done have been regularly scheduled oil changes (the timing belt was scheduled for 90K, but I have put that off until 120K, when I will get a major service done (timing belt, water pump, new plugs, wires etc..).

Good luck in your quest for your new Lexus & consider the 'Ultra' package option for the '01' to '03' years also.

Disclaimer: The following does not represent the opinions of this website, its management, and nobody with the screen name NC211. However, it is expressly conveyed that screen name SWO3ES shall be held accountable for all punitive damages due to misguided advice given by such therefore and/or thereof hereto foresay, NC211.

Lawyers.....deal with them everyday, gotta watch your back!!! Hahaha :cheers:

Welcome to the club!

Now, to the irrelevant and objective testimony aka..test-ur-money.

The 04' - 06 LS430 is the last model runs for that series, and in many people's opinion, the best looking, I agree. Me being the owner of what has now turned into performance wise, a glorified camry with a V8 "mine has problems, but is 12 years old with 133k miles", I can say that it is very very tough to beat the LS for it's cruise-ability. I have never owned a more comfortable highway cruising vehicle in my life. I think you would be very happy with the LS, especially if you're in the car alot. Will it perform up to your standards in terms of cornering and such? No, probably not at first. It's no BMW, that's for sure. But it ain't no wollowy caddy either. In fact, it's quite supprising how well they do handle, considering their image an reputation. You mentioned that your 7 series began to have problems, so you sold it. That indicates to me that you're not one to spend time in the waiting room at the repair shop....with that being said, I would stay away from the air suspension setups. Granted, they'll last far longer than most, usually around 80-100k miles, but once they start to act up, it's open season on your wallet. They're such smooth cars anyway, that adding the air suspension really is an over-the-top item, if you ask me. Problems that LS's have are usually related to the suspension control arms, wheel balancing, etc.... The problem I don't like, and have been battling for years now "which has driven me to decide it's time to get rid of it" is that they're sooo smooth, that one tiny little imperfection in the set up, and you'll know it. If your steering wheel shakes a little, if you tossed a very tiny weight off the back wheel, if you've got a minor flat-spot...you'll know it, and it'll drive you insane. Their whole benefit, and reason for ownership is their smoothness. As where a BMW is a driver's car, and that's the appeal, the Lexus is a passengers car, including the driver. But other than that, they're great cars!

The information in this posting and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message or attachment is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have read this posting in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this posting and all of its attachments. Or, sue SW03ES as I'll say I was drunk when I wrote this, and therefore cannot be held accountable. Hense, the hillbilly grammer.

Disclaimer: The following does not represent the opinions of this website, its management, and nobody with the screen name NC211. However, it is expressly conveyed that screen name SWO3ES shall be held accountable for all punitive damages due to misguided advice given by such therefore and/or thereof hereto foresay, NC211.

Lawyers.....deal with them everyday, gotta watch your back!!! Hahaha :cheers:

Welcome to the club!

Now, to the irrelevant and objective testimony aka..test-ur-money.

The 04' - 06 LS430 is the last model runs for that series, and in many people's opinion, the best looking, I agree. Me being the owner of what has now turned into performance wise, a glorified camry with a V8 "mine has problems, but is 12 years old with 133k miles", I can say that it is very very tough to beat the LS for it's cruise-ability. I have never owned a more comfortable highway cruising vehicle in my life. I think you would be very happy with the LS, especially if you're in the car alot. Will it perform up to your standards in terms of cornering and such? No, probably not at first. It's no BMW, that's for sure. But it ain't no wollowy caddy either. In fact, it's quite supprising how well they do handle, considering their image an reputation. You mentioned that your 7 series began to have problems, so you sold it. That indicates to me that you're not one to spend time in the waiting room at the repair shop....with that being said, I would stay away from the air suspension setups. Granted, they'll last far longer than most, usually around 80-100k miles, but once they start to act up, it's open season on your wallet. They're such smooth cars anyway, that adding the air suspension really is an over-the-top item, if you ask me. Problems that LS's have are usually related to the suspension control arms, wheel balancing, etc.... The problem I don't like, and have been battling for years now "which has driven me to decide it's time to get rid of it" is that they're sooo smooth, that one tiny little imperfection in the set up, and you'll know it. If your steering wheel shakes a little, if you tossed a very tiny weight off the back wheel, if you've got a minor flat-spot...you'll know it, and it'll drive you insane. Their whole benefit, and reason for ownership is their smoothness. As where a BMW is a driver's car, and that's the appeal, the Lexus is a passengers car, including the driver. But other than that, they're great cars!

The information in this posting and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message or attachment is strictly prohibited. If you believe that you have read this posting in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this posting and all of its attachments. Or, sue SW03ES as I'll say I was drunk when I wrote this, and therefore cannot be held accountable. Hense, the hillbilly grammer.

:lol::lol::lol: Nc, Your a kick :lol::lol::lol:

I think you'll be very happy with an LS, whether you get an '04 or newer. Just keep in mind, though, that there were a few recalls on the '04 model (fuel pump and transmission, I think). Make sure that recall work was done if you're going to buy the car.

I just traded my '03 LS for an '05 LS, and couldn't be happier. There are minor changes between the two, other than the exterior design enhancements, which are the most obvious. The newer (generation 3.5 models from '04-06) have the six speed transmission with sport shift. I missed the sport shift on the '03, and am glad to have it now. You don't have to have the Ultra to have some of the nice features. My '03 had heated and cooled front seats, plus the parking sensors. My '05 has the same, plus a back-up camera. I didn't want to deal with the air suspension on the Ultra, although I don't tend to keep cars very long.

I'd look for an '05 or '06 if I were you. You should be able to find some pretty good deals out there now. The only reason I upgraded is because I felt that I was getting a good deal (although it's still costing me more).

I used to drive Audis, and the handling of German cars in general is much better (IMO) than American or Japanese, i.e. Lexus. However, I definitely wouldn't say that my LS has poor handling. I would never complain about it. The Audi was fun to drive, however the Lexus is fun to ride in. It is very comfortable, very quiet and very solid. Much better than the newer Cadillacs, I think, which are also a big, usually powerful car (DTS).

Good luck, and be sure and let us know what you decide (and post pictures)!

I've owned both a BMW and a Mercedes prior to buying a LS 400. Both of those cars were money pits.

IMO, the LS 400 is the best production car ever built with the perfect combinaton between power and fuel economy. It really gets down to what your preference is. I'm on the road a lot and I have absolutely no desire to "feel the road" or to "choke em on heel dust" with speed. I don't want to feel nothing but smoothness and comfort. I don't want to hear nothing except the jazz from my sound system. I want to cruise at 90 mph and feel like I going 50 mph. I want to spend hours enjoying my vehicle as opposed to spending countless hours in a repair shop with a frontal assault being made on my wallet.

The LS exceeds my requirements in this regard and I won't be purchasing any other make of vehicle.

Hey guys (and gals?) -

A newbie here. Just discovered your forum today...its solid. You guys have a really nice community going here.

I'm really pondering an '04 LS and wanted to get the thoughts of those of you who have many miles behind the wheel. As for history, I came from a 2001 BMW 740iL, sport package, etc. I really liked the car, but late last year, it started having some of the typical BMW issues (electrical problem, radiator, etc) so I got rid of it while it still had its CPO warranty. Great car, and i still miss it.

I went for an '07 BMW 550i, with sport package and manual transmission. Its a great car, and a real rocket, but hoenstly, I am missing having a full size sedan, like a 7 series or an LS. I've had an ES300 before and thought it was amazingly reliable.

So, with only 5 months and 7000 miles on the 550i, why would I sell it? I suppose that for the money ($64k), I was expecting to LOVE LOVE LOVE the car, and while I think its a great car, I dont adore it. That, and I miss a full size sedan more than I thought I would. At the time, I thought going from a 7 series to a 5 series would be fun & sporty - which it is - but I miss the luxury ride. I spend a lot of time on the interstate for work, and I miss a cruisemobile.

So, with that being said, if you will indulge me for a few questions, I would appreciate it.

1. Am I right that between '04 and '06, there are minimal changes? Thus, getting an '04 isnt missing out on anything profound?

2. I drove an LS once, with a salesman, so I didnt really get to play with it much, but as far as handling goes, is it "responsive" enough? I sort of recall it being super luxusious - kind of like a large marshmallow. I realize it wont be as "performance oriented" as the BMW cars, but does it handle well enough on curvy roads not to feel like my grandfather's car?

3. The "Sport Suspension" option - does it really change the handling? The Sweet '04 that I found doesnt have it - and I cant really find one nearby that does. Just wondering if its something I should really look hard to find.

4. Is Mark Levinson stereo everything they say.....as in, amazing?

Any other thoughts to ponder and share in my search?

I looked back through many pages of posts so as not to repeat anything previously posted, so forgive me if I am asking the regular newbie questions.

Many thanks...

- lawguy aka Pete