Is 350 Washing Issues

Hello!!

Let me tell you what I have done for the past two and only washes on my car. I purchased some car soap basically, mixes with water.

1) I rinse the car from top to bottom, everywhere.

2) I start at the top of the car and soap the top

3) I then proceed to soap the hood, door panels, and back.

4) I last do the front & back bumpers

At this point, I proceed to rinse the car again and make sure I have rinsed everything. Lastly, I take my shami and dry off the car with any spots of water I see.

My questions are:

1) Am I doing this horribly wrong??

2) I notice I still see spots on my car after the drying, how can I dry this properly?

3) (maybe associated with 2) but, I can never get my shami super dry, I ring it out like crazy, but when I wipe it on the car, it still leaves water, I got to the point where its pretty dry, but damn, I dunno.

4) My windows are bad with the water spots too.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for some help, my car gets sorda clean, at least all the visible dirt is gone, but I see water spots if I look really close. One problem, I'm only 1 person, so by the time I rinse the car, and dry one area, I go to the next and the water's already gone!!

This is my first attempts at washing cars, I have never done it before so any suggestions will help, maybe more shami's, maybe different drying materials, maybe I'm washing wrong.

Thanks for any help!

Jeff.

I would rinse each area as you wash it instead of soaping the entire car and then rinsing. That may be part of your spotting problem.

I personally don't like chamois, I prefer waffle weave microfiber for drying. What type of wash mitt are you using?

I would rinse each area as you wash it instead of soaping the entire car and then rinsing. That may be part of your spotting problem.

I personally don't like chamois, I prefer waffle weave microfiber for drying. What type of wash mitt are you using?

Wash mitt? I am using a big soft sponge to basically apply the soap, I use a mitt only to wash the rims which work good. Should I use a mitt to apply the soap?

Also, what about drying, is there anything other than a shami I could use, cause I just can't seem to figure out how they work, because it just seems to spread the water not really dry the car.

thanks!

Jeff.

He's referring to Microfiber waffle-weave towels for drying. Superior softness and absorbsion--available locally, and online. (You get what you pay for)

Perhaps spraying each panel with a quick-detailer before you dry--this should help remove any new spotting on the spot, and provide some lubricity for your drying medium.

Good luck!

What type of sponge is it? Nothing wrong with a sponge, what matters is the material its made out of.

Yep, I'd try a microfiber waffle weave drying towel. I reccomend www.pakshak.com but there are other good merchants as well. I think your issue is two fold, one you probably have pretty hard water, two you're leaving behind water as the chamois wipes by.

What type of sponge is it? Nothing wrong with a sponge, what matters is the material its made out of.

Yep, I'd try a microfiber waffle weave drying towel. I reccomend www.pakshak.com but there are other good merchants as well. I think your issue is two fold, one you probably have pretty hard water, two you're leaving behind water as the chamois wipes by.

Thanks guys so far for your help. I am going tommorrow and see what cleaning supplies a local napa has, or maybe I'll try another auto place. I'd rather not order, but if I dont get anything this weekend, I will order stuff for next weekends cleaning :)

By the way, you said I have pretty hard water, what do you mean by that? I get water from the hose, and I put that on spray so it's not full blasting on the car. If that's what you meant. Also, I know I might be leaving water behind with the chamois wipes, I will DEFINATELY get a microfiber waffle weave towel, If nothing else, that will help dry this thing much better.

One more question, what about the windows, is there a special way to clean the outside OR inside of the windows? I just use the same soap on the panels on the windows, is there any special window cleaner I can get?

thanks

Jeff.

SW-am a newbie!just purchased a 05' RX330 any suggestions for general routine exterior cleaning?pls give me a list of products-u sound like a wealth of knowledge on detailing.also have a few minor paint chips on the hood-any suggestions?thanks

Thanks guys so far for your help. I am going tommorrow and see what cleaning supplies a local napa has, or maybe I'll try another auto place. I'd rather not order, but if I dont get anything this weekend, I will order stuff for next weekends cleaning :)

Sadly enough you really have no choice but to order. The best products are not available in local stores.

By the way, you said I have pretty hard water, what do you mean by that? I get water from the hose, and I put that on spray so it's not full blasting on the car. If that's what you meant. Also, I know I might be leaving water behind with the chamois wipes, I will DEFINATELY get a microfiber waffle weave towel, If nothing else, that will help dry this thing much better.

Water only spots when it has a mineral content to it, the water evaporates and the minerals are left behind on the paint which causes a spot. "Hard water" refers to water that has a large concentration of minerals in it and spots easily.

One more question, what about the windows, is there a special way to clean the outside OR inside of the windows? I just use the same soap on the panels on the windows, is there any special window cleaner I can get?

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass

SW-am a newbie!just purchased a 05' RX330 any suggestions for general routine exterior cleaning?pls give me a list of products-u sound like a wealth of knowledge on detailing.also have a few minor paint chips on the hood-any suggestions?thanks

Hey Rah, I got your PM too. Look around on here for some products to use, I and others have discussed so many of them any list I would give you would be incomplete.

As for the chips, really no choice but to touch those up.

• 1 month later...

I have used the Mr. Clean car wash kit for several years. I don't like the soap but the filtered final rinse water gets rid of water spots...the filter lasts about 7-10 washes. No need to squegee or wipe down. Consumer Reports tried it and gave it a good report.

I have used the Mr. Clean car wash kit for several years. I don't like the soap but the filtered final rinse water gets rid of water spots...the filter lasts about 7-10 washes. No need to squegee or wipe down. Consumer Reports tried it and gave it a good report.

Speaking of water spots...

has anyone ever installed one of these?

Or, how bout one of these???

It's a lot of money, but if it works....