Navigation - No Guidance Out Of Detailed Coverage Zone (is The Oem Nav

Background - this is a long posting, sorry...

In-laws have an '04 ES330 with navigation - I do not know the version of their DVD disc, but it is the original that came with the car.

Problem: they reside and travel frequently outside the 'detailed coverage' area in their home state of WI. Whenever they use their system, the "voice" tells them that guidance is not available and they need to proceed to the highlighted route to begin guidance. Sometimes the highlighted route is quite a distance away, or in the wrong direction. They have expressed their frustration with the system to the dealer, and to my wife and I. This last week I experienced the lack of guidance firsthand, and tried some troubleshooting while on vacation with them in northern MN. Can those familiar with the Lexus OEM nav systems comment on the following that we experience when using their OEM navigation system:

- If you begin your trip from a location that is not in a detailed coverage area, the navigation system will not give you audio guidance until you reach the route it has planned for you. So, you have to find your way to the beginning of the route it has planned for you - hopefully you have a co-pilot to read the screen while you are driving. Sometimes the beginning of the planned route is not in area of the map displayed after it has calculated a route - which only adds to the confusion.

- If you begin your trip, or have a destination that is not in a detailed coverage area, the calculated route will only plan a route that consists of Interstates, US Hwys or State Hwys. You must find your way to the highlighted blue route to begin guidance.

- There is no county road or city road audio guidance available in the non-detailed coverage area, even though the correct map and current location information is being displayed as you drive

Questions:

- does the newer DVD increase the covered area?

- is their navigation system defective?

- what are their options for a navigation system that will provide guidance in the non-detailed coverage areas?

Needless to say, this $2K option has not been helpful AT ALL for about 90% of the trips they take. Thanks for any comments...

Background - this is a long posting, sorry...

In-laws have an '04 ES330 with navigation - I do not know the version of their DVD disc, but it is the original that came with the car.

Problem: they reside and travel frequently outside the 'detailed coverage' area in their home state of WI. Whenever they use their system, the "voice" tells them that guidance is not available and they need to proceed to the highlighted route to begin guidance. Sometimes the highlighted route is quite a distance away, or in the wrong direction. They have expressed their frustration with the system to the dealer, and to my wife and I. This last week I experienced the lack of guidance firsthand, and tried some troubleshooting while on vacation with them in northern MN. Can those familiar with the Lexus OEM nav systems comment on the following that we experience when using their OEM navigation system:

- If you begin your trip from a location that is not in a detailed coverage area, the navigation system will not give you audio guidance until you reach the route it has planned for you. So, you have to find your way to the beginning of the route it has planned for you - hopefully you have a co-pilot to read the screen while you are driving. Sometimes the beginning of the planned route is not in area of the map displayed after it has calculated a route - which only adds to the confusion.

- If you begin your trip, or have a destination that is not in a detailed coverage area, the calculated route will only plan a route that consists of Interstates, US Hwys or State Hwys. You must find your way to the highlighted blue route to begin guidance.

- There is no county road or city road audio guidance available in the non-detailed coverage area, even though the correct map and current location information is being displayed as you drive

Questions:

- does the newer DVD increase the covered area?

- is their navigation system defective?

- what are their options for a navigation system that will provide guidance in the non-detailed coverage areas?

Needless to say, this $2K option has not been helpful AT ALL for about 90% of the trips they take. Thanks for any comments...

First, not every part of the US is mapped. Second, the navigation system is working normally. Route guidance is available only on roads that are black (surface streets), red (interstates), and blue (high speed roads). You will not receive guidance on roads that are yellow since they have not been verified by the mapping company. Third, you can purchase an update for $300 from your local Lexus dealership. Prior to doing so please check anothe brand new vehicle with V6.1 to see if the areas that do not have any info have been updated. If you check an 07MY ES350, RX350, GS350 or GX470 they should have V6.1 installed. Good luck.