Should I Let The Mr2 Spyder Go?

:unsure:

I keep my cars up pretty nice, actually I am obcessive about my cars. I have 3, too many. I bought a 2005 RAV 4 before Toyota messed the RAV up. L, leather, moon roof, every option. It is the most practical car I ever owned. I don't hate it but I don't like it either.

I have a 1990 celica all trac. It is in 2 show condition. I drive it. It has no rust and it drives well. Only 95K miles on it. I have replaced the turbo, done the valves and seals a few times, but other than that, maintenance. It likely has another happy 60K miles on it. AWD, so I have a winter car.

I factory ordered a 2000 Mr2 spyder once they were available. Got one of the first made and imported. I have the hard top. It has just over 10K miles.

Spyder is very light, and in this angry SUV world, it has low miles because people seem to just want to intimidate little cars.

Today, I got an offer to buy the spyder. Good offer. Just a few thousand less than what I paid for it new. I am thinking I should let it go.

I have thought about this before, and I don't think I could part with the spyder unless I can have a 430.

From what I have read, the 430 is very much like the all trac but not good to drive in winter.

All trac is the stock car from the Tokyo races, and is very heavy, about 3900. It is not fast off the line like the spyder, but it is quick enough and has a good stable "sporty" ride.

I have my eye on a 2002 with less than 8000 miles.

I want a nice ride, an distinctive appearance, and reliable. I like convertible, but it sounds nice to be able to push a button to have the top open and close.

I will appreciate advice from those of you who own these cars and can tell me how it is to have this car.

I think the 430 is much safer and more solid than the spyder. I think the 430 has as much if not more safety crash features as the RAV.

The car I currently feel the most safe in is the all trac. It is all steel except for the bumper covers and while it takes me about a minute to get into 3rd gear, once there, I am out of the way of the hummers, expeditions, fj cruisers, you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Alison

I keep my cars up pretty nice, actually I am obcessive about my cars. I have 3, too many. I bought a 2005 RAV 4 before Toyota messed the RAV up. L, leather, moon roof, every option. It is the most practical car I ever owned. I don't hate it but I don't like it either.

I have a 1990 celica all trac. It is in 2 show condition. I drive it. It has no rust and it drives well. Only 95K miles on it. I have replaced the turbo, done the valves and seals a few times, but other than that, maintenance. It likely has another happy 60K miles on it. AWD, so I have a winter car.

I factory ordered a 2000 Mr2 spyder once they were available. Got one of the first made and imported. I have the hard top. It has just over 10K miles.

Spyder is very light, and in this angry SUV world, it has low miles because people seem to just want to intimidate little cars.

Today, I got an offer to buy the spyder. Good offer. Just a few thousand less than what I paid for it new. I am thinking I should let it go.

I have thought about this before, and I don't think I could part with the spyder unless I can have a 430.

From what I have read, the 430 is very much like the all trac but not good to drive in winter.

All trac is the stock car from the Tokyo races, and is very heavy, about 3900. It is not fast off the line like the spyder, but it is quick enough and has a good stable "sporty" ride.

I want a nice ride, an distinctive appearance, and reliable. I like convertible, but it sounds nice to be able to push a button to have the top open and close.

I will appreciate advice from those of you who own these cars and can tell me how it is to have this car.

I think the 430 is much safer and more solid than the spyder. I think the 430 has as much if not more safety crash features as the RAV.

The car I currently feel the most safe in is the all trac. It is all steel except for the bumper covers and while it takes me about a minute to get into 3rd gear, once there, I am out of the way of the hummers, expeditions, fj cruisers, you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Alison

Keep the Spyder, Store it, Or whatever you have to do to keep it. Get yourself a LS. :cheers:

I have people asking me about buying my mr2 all the time. I have worried about this, but I think keep it and if something has to go, it should be the RAV.

Good choice :cheers: Mr2's are great cars if you can get in and out of them :lol::lol::lol: The only drawbacks with an sc430 are #1 no spare tire #2 the back seat is useless ( for storage only IMHO ).

I'm a "new" 2002 SC430 owner (17K miles) and love the car! It is classy, fun, and fast too! I have the runflats...no need for a spare but sacrifice the ride with the runflats. One button up/down is real nice. Back seat is ok for pre-teens but not much else. One thing that you may want to consider is the NAV DVD will be dated. IF you are thinking of selling the MR2 can you send me specifics on it? rjmblaha@hotmail.com

Thanks Russ B

I get my mr2 serviced at the dealer, same dealer I bought it from. Good relationship with the writer. He asked me Saturday if I would consider selling it because he has a customer looking for one, mr2. He knows how I keep my cars. So no I wasn't necessarily looking to sell it. What I had been thinking of was trading the RAV for something else. Then I saw the 2002 sc430, and to buy it, would have to let the mr2 go.

I think I will just not do anything about selling or buying for now.

Alison

I'm a smaller person. 5'3" so it is a my size car. I think that Toyota stopped importing it because hand built and not much room for profit. Because it is mid engine, taller drivers don't fit very well, and you can't move the seat back very much. That is okay for me.

It is rattle free and uncomplicated. I sold my '87 mr2 to buy this one. I cried when I let the '87 go. It has 29000 miles on it. A guy came from California to buy it.

SC seems to be a very special car. I again won't consider giving up the mr2 unless I had the SC430 to replace it.

Alison

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance.

Alison

Keep the Spyder, Store it, Or whatever you have to do to keep it. Get yourself a LS. :cheers:

Nicely said :D

• 3 months later...

i agree, but just my opinion, that's all.

i have an 89mr2 myself, first car i bought... dont' drive it much and needs some body work but still runs well and i don't want to regret if i donate it / sell it..

i had a 91 mr2 turbo and regret selling the car..

seems you have great taste, the all-trac celica is a very nice car. i wanted one but was hard to find the one i wanted.

about ready to sell my rx8 for the sc430. keeping my mr2 though..