Windshield Replacement

HankJ

My windshield on my LS430 has become cracked.

The glass company wants $1500 for a genuine Lexus window vs $400 for an aftermwrket made at the same plant, but with ppg instead of Lexus on the window.

My question is are they the same qulity? Do they have the same coatings? etc. Since they are made at the same glass plant, are they the same specifications?

has anyone else been though this?

Thanks, the $1100 is significant. :cheers::rolleyes:

PPG makes excellent windshields, superior to many OEM's. I don't know how they could make for Lexus built in Japan, but more than likely they make them for the RX and others built in North America.

If you are paying for it, get the PPG. The more important aspects are that the fit of the trim and the glass in the opening is perfect, and that the shop guarantees their work against water leakage for lifetime.

Out of curiosity, where is yours cracked? Mine cracked at the base where the windshield wipers are so it's not really all that noticable...

Yep, that is where mine is cracked as well, looks like a piece of christmas tinsle across.

Out of curiosity, where is yours cracked? Mine cracked at the base where the windshield wipers are so it's not really all that noticable...

Yep, that is where mine is cracked as well, looks like a piece of christmas tinsle across.

I was told that the rain sensor might not work properly if I replaced the windshield with anything other than Lexus glass. Given the cost difference you were quoted (and the cost difference between a Lexus windshield with and w/o the sensor) you may have the same problem, I am not sure (is the rain sensing only after '04?). The cost I was quoted was about $500 w/o the sensor and about $1100 with. The list price was about $600 and $1200 respectively. All prices are for Lexus glass. They also talked about some subcontractor they use that uses non-Lexus glass and warantees all the work, but I don't remember the details. Sorry.

I was also told that the crack was the result of a "stress fracture" and that it probably wasn't worth replacing because of the trouble getting a good fit on the new glass (this by a lexus dealership). Granted, my crack is not visible when in the driver's seat... so I don't know what it's worth to you.

Anyways, good luck.

I was told that the rain sensor might not work properly if I replaced the windshield with anything other than Lexus glass. Given the cost difference you were quoted (and the cost difference between a Lexus windshield with and w/o the sensor) you may have the same problem, I am not sure (is the rain sensing only after '04?). The cost I was quoted was about $500 w/o the sensor and about $1100 with. The list price was about $600 and $1200 respectively. All prices are for Lexus glass. They also talked about some subcontractor they use that uses non-Lexus glass and warantees all the work, but I don't remember the details. Sorry.

I was also told that the crack was the result of a "stress fracture" and that it probably wasn't worth replacing because of the trouble getting a good fit on the new glass (this by a lexus dealership). Granted, my crack is not visible when in the driver's seat... so I don't know what it's worth to you.

Anyways, good luck.

Yes, my heart wants to go with the OEM glass (if I do replace it as fencera commented above), but my head says to go with the aftermarket. I'm working with the local Lexus bodyshop and they are steering me towards the aftermarket, since it is coming out of my pocket.

The glass guy that the body shop uses told me that the OEM and the aftermarket replacement glass, both come from the same ppg plant in the US. According to him, sometimes when he has ordered aftermarket glass, Lexus glass showed up.

As far as the crack goes, I do see what appears to be two very small points of impact from which the crack grew. The points do not starburst, but could the the root cause of the crack.

Thanks for the comments,

Yep, I've been told that too. Still, haven't ever seen a peice of aftermarket glass that was as distortion free as the OEM glass. In fact, my neighbor just had a side window replaced with PPG aftermarket glass, all you have to do is look at the reflection in the outside of the glass to see the aftermarket glass is MUCH wavier.

Just had mine replaced with PPG glass. Very good quality with no distortion whatsoever. The OEM glass has a light bronze tint which I don't see on the PPG. Water seems to bead better on OEM. If you pay out of your pocket then I would definitely recommend aftermarket PPG glass.

Just had mine replaced with PPG glass. Very good quality with no distortion whatsoever. The OEM glass has a light bronze tint which I don't see on the PPG. Water seems to bead better on OEM. If you pay out of your pocket then I would definitely recommend aftermarket PPG glass.

So, is this a crap shoot? Other than forking out a grand, or so, is there any other way to assure quality and perfromance?

Thanks to all y'all who did give input,

Hank

So, is this a crap shoot? Other than forking out a grand, or so, is there any other way to assure quality and perfromance?

Hank

So what do you want - a guarantee from us? I've used PPG glass on at least two cars in the past, so has Tropheus, and PPG is a industry leader so there's the quality for you. Performance is what I said in the beginning as the variable ain't the glass it's the installer. THEY are the ones that can mess up the job, not the part.

Now it's up to you.

Hank

So what do you want - a guarantee from us? I've used PPG glass on at least two cars in the past, so has Tropheus, and PPG is a industry leader so there's the quality for you. Performance is what I said in the beginning as the variable ain't the glass it's the installer. THEY are the ones that can mess up the job, not the part.

Now it's up to you.

Yea, whatever, SRK. A guarantee is always nice, isn't it?

In this thread, there are opinions both way, OEM or aftermarket. So, given that, I do see it as a bit of a crap shoot. However, with those who did have a good experience with PPG and using the glass guy that the Lexus Body Shop uses, I'm feeling somewhat safe in going that direction.

If not, maybe I can reboot the whole thing.

Thanks to all for inputs and thoughts

:cheers:

Hank

Now it's up to you.

In this thread, there are opinions both way, OEM or aftermarket. So, given that, I do see it as a bit of a crap shoot. However, with those who did have a good experience with PPG and using the glass guy that the Lexus Body Shop uses, I'm feeling somewhat safe in going that direction.

• 8 months later...

Does your rain sensor work with the new windshield? The 2004 LS 430 I bought appears to have a new windshield and the rain sensor does not work? Any thoughts?

Hank

Now it's up to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced the WS on my '04 LS430 twice in a month. Both times, insurance paid (stone damage), and both times a Pilkington WS (OEM supplier for Lexus, Mercedes, et. al.) was used. The bill to the insurance company was under $500 installed. Retail is probably higher, but there you go.

I replaced the WS on my '04 LS430 twice in a month. Both times, insurance paid (stone damage), and both times a Pilkington WS (OEM supplier for Lexus, Mercedes, et. al.) was used. The bill to the insurance company was under $500 installed. Retail is probably higher, but there you go.

Also, with this windshield the rain sensor works just fine, so that isn't an issue.