Custom Pinstriping

I have a friend whose father does custom pinstriping. He'll give me a good price (we haven't discussed specifics), but I'm kind of on the fence as to whether or not I should have it done. On one hand, the striping will give the car a "custom" look, but on the other hand it might be a little juvenile and tacky (I'm not a kid anymore). Figured I'd get the opinions of some forum members before I make my decision. What say you???

Also, if I get it done, what color might work best with my Black Sapphire Pearl IS 250? I was thinking either white or a lighter shade of blue...

I have a friend whose father does custom pinstriping. He'll give me a good price (we haven't discussed specifics), but I'm kind of on the fence as to whether or not I should have it done. On one hand, the striping will give the car a "custom" look, but on the other hand it might be a little juvenile and tacky (I'm not a kid anymore). Figured I'd get the opinions of some forum members before I make my decision. What say you???

Also, if I get it done, what color might work best with my Black Sapphire Pearl IS 250? I was thinking either white or a lighter shade of blue...

I am sure it can be done in good taste, It is 100% a personal decision. Can you post some pic's of your friends father work ?

It's your call, but IMHO the IS is not a car you want to do that on. "Tacky" comes to mind. Hey, I'm over 40.. so take that into account. :D

It's your call, but IMHO the IS is not a car you want to do that on. "Tacky" comes to mind. Hey, I'm over 40.. so take that into account. :D

I'm under 40 and I agree with you.

:P

I'm under 40 and I agree with you.

:P

I'm over 40 and think pinstriping is just too 1978 for me. Also I have to say I was reading on other threads about owners of these cars being between 18 and 23! That's amazing - I had to wait to be 44 to own a $40,000 car. My son is 18 and he drive my 1998 Volvo 850. I am sure he would be thrilled if I just threw him the keys for my 2007 IS and said it's all yours.

I'm over 40 and think pinstriping is just too 1978 for me. Also I have to say I was reading on other threads about owners of these cars being between 18 and 23! That's amazing - I had to wait to be 44 to own a $40,000 car. My son is 18 and he drive my 1998 Volvo 850. I am sure he would be thrilled if I just threw him the keys for my 2007 IS and said it's all yours.

My first thought on the pinstriping was "tacky". Consensus here seems the same. I think I'll pass on the offer. The IS 250 is my "mid-life crisis" car, but I don't want it to look like a kid's car.

As for the 18-23 year olds owning these cars - there was a time when I would've been jealous of them. Not anymore. I figure if anyone that age can afford that car (or whose parents can afford to buy it for them), then more power to them. I know that there will always be people both better and worse off financially than me. I feel fortunate that I'm now able to afford a $40,000 car, even though it took a while. I know that there are plenty of people my age who are struggling to afford ANY car, so I thank my lucky stars...

The IS 250 is my "mid-life crisis" car

You and me both. This "will" be my first ever decent car. I said "will" because it's still on order. I ordered it April 14th, still have about 2-3 months to go. I've been driving a company car (Ford Sable) for the past 15 years, and before that a Tercel, Corolla, and a Previa as a family car. So I think I deserve it! :cheers: