Rear Camshaft Seal

nightrain

Hi guys I just bought my LS 400 a couple of weeks ago and when I was getting it inspected,my mechanic told me the rear seal was leaking.He completely cleaned it and told me to drive it on the weekend,since the oil level was full.Anyway when I went back on Mon. it was of course leaking for sure.My big question is this, how would you know when theoil gets to low,without putting it on a lift, and can you just live with this problem.I read some guy said his was leaking for 2 years.Thanks

Hi guys I just bought my LS 400 a couple of weeks ago and when I was getting it inspected,my mechanic told me the rear seal was leaking.He completely cleaned it and told me to drive it on the weekend,since the oil level was full.Anyway when I went back on Mon. it was of course leaking for sure.My big question is this, how would you know when theoil gets to low,without putting it on a lift, and can you just live with this problem.I read some guy said his was leaking for 2 years.Thanks

Check the oil level using the dipstick in the engine bay.

dcfish, I thought that was a differant oil source?

There is a dipstick for the engine oil and there is one for the transmission oil, Both under the hood. That's it.......... How much is leaking ? A drop of oil spreads out pretty far and is deceptive.

I did about 300 miles before he rechecked it,where is that other dipstick located? there wasn't much leakage after the 300miles but it cocerns me as I love this car.Its even better than my Lincoln Mark 8 I loved for 5 years.Thanks for your help dcfish

I did about 300 miles before he rechecked it,where is that other dipstick located? there wasn't much leakage after the 300miles but it cocerns me as I love this car.Its even better than my Lincoln Mark 8 I loved for 5 years.Thanks for your help dcfish

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=19816 http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=20616

Read these threads ^^^^^^

Thanks again,I did read that yesterday and its more along the lines of my problem.Can I live with this leak just by checking the dipstick for the tranny,and can I fill without being on a lift.The sight you sent me to was awesome, but there is absolutely no way I could do that job.And if I can't live with the problem do you know the cost to replace the rear seal.Thanks dcfish you've been very helpfull

Thanks again,I did read that yesterday and its more along the lines of my problem.Can I live with this leak just by checking the dipstick for the tranny,and can I fill without being on a lift.The sight you sent me to was awesome, but there is absolutely no way I could do that job.And if I can't live with the problem do you know the cost to replace the rear seal.Thanks dcfish you've been very helpfull

Yes, You can add transmission fluid down the tranny dipstick tube. You will need a funnel with a flex hose to stick in the dipstick tube.

Hi,

If it's the camshaft seal that is leaking it is the engine oil level you need to check not the transmission fluid level so it's the dipstick nearer the front of the car.

Make sure the car is on level ground and has been stood for at least an hour, pull out the oil dipstick and wipe it clean.Reinsert it into the tube and push fully in, remove again and check the level on the markings add good quality oil if it is low.

Steve thats the rear camshaft seal,I can't tell you how confused i'm right now,dcfish says tranny fluid and you say engine oil,thanks for your help,I think i'm still in need of more imfo.thanks guys

Let's clear this up. Can you post a picture of the leak ? Then we can give the proper direction to this topic. :cheers: