Treating Certain Types Of Trim?

There are a couple of areas on the my ES that I am not sure how to protect/dress. The first area is the spot that holds the top 2 air vents that has a black matte finish. I always get streaking with optimum protect plus (great stuff by the way). Here is a link that shows the area: http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/4157/console2ty8.th.jpg

The second area is the matte? black trim above the rear doors. Same thing--just a lot of streaking. Couldn't find a link.

Also, the weatherstripping on the door is badly faded. Only 303 will make it shine again and only for about a week or until it rains. Is this a replacement part or can I polish it somehow?

Last but not least--the wood grain. What polishes have been the most effective for you guys. I tried optimum compound then polish by hand but got little results? Is this just going to be one of those PITA job that takes hours?

Thanks for any help guys.

I personally would use the OPP, and then wipe the area down with a damp cloth to even out the finish.

As for the seals, they can be replaced fairly inexpensively.

For the wood I use ordinary lemon pledge ;)

Thanks for the response. Does the pledge have fillers? I actully have quite a few scratches on the console wood. I tried NXT wax with so-so results--minimum filling. I think I'm going to buy some OTC Meguiar's glaze and see how that works.

Sweet avatar by the way.

The scratches in the wood clear have to be rubbed out with a heavy compound. Not even Meguiar's ScratchX is aggressive enough...

Which area of wood has the scratches? It would be great if you could take the piece off. It's hard to buff out in such a small area.

Pledge does have fillers. How bad are the scratches?

The clear coat on the wood is very hard and very thin, I agre with LexKid it will have to be removed to be worked on.

It is the center console by the shifter, but I'm sure all the panels could use polishing. Only swirls--not deep scratches or gashes and only visible with in direct light.

The lesson I learned from this: only clean wood trim with a wet rag. My gauge cover, ac display, and radio display all suffer from the same problem.

aybe Old English or a wood filler pen? the wood fillers (home depot) may work well of they deep if you can get the color close. Try alternating the brown and black to get that burled look.

good luck

aybe Old English or a wood filler pen? the wood fillers (home depot) may work well of they deep if you can get the color close. Try alternating the brown and black to get that burled look.

good luck

this wont work. the scratches he's speaking of aren't deep enough for this stuff to collect in.

The wood trim in most vehicles (some Mercedes Benz model’s use real wood) is protected with a urethane clear coat, polyurethane or a thin lacquer, which is very easily scratched. Remove scratches with a fine polish (Groit's Fine Hand Polish) clean /protect with a chemical cleaner (Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-AIO) and then buff with a clean 100% cotton towel

Note- If your finger nail catches in the scratch then it’s too deep to remove

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have some time off work in about a month. I'm going to VERY CAREFULLY tape of all of the vinyl and plastic trim and try my PC with the 4" pads--I think. I'll have to be very careful.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will have some time off work in about a month. I'm going to VERY CAREFULLY tape of all of the vinyl and plastic trim and try my PC with the 4" pads--I think. I'll have to be very careful.

Oh God- DEFINITELY revove the wood trim first...

Not only will the tape get ripped up, you'll get compound sludged up around the buttons etc, and splashed all over the interior...

just be careful taking it out, not to crack the thin veneer.