Odd Problem With 95 Ls400 - Need Some Help

nll714

I have a 95 LS400 and every time I go to turn the car off, the key stops dead at the position where it allows the radio and some other electrical features to stay on......it wont turn any further than that and allow me to remove the key from the ignition. HOWEVER, if I very quickly turn the key to the right, barely hear the engine fire, then even quicker, turn it back to the left...it will go all the way to the left and allow me to remove the key.

This is just maddening to me and for me and would like to know if anyone has encountered a similar problem in your Lexus (doesnt have to be an LS400 model) and what causes this or how it can be fixed.......and for how much!!!! Thanks very much.

Had a similar problem with my Land Cruiser, no it doesn't have a similar key whatsoever, just a cheap key but it did keep the key in the ignition and made removal generally impossible. I eventually had to wait for the pins to move out of the way and it eventually released it. Had a locksmith come by and fix the ignition, for the lexus on the otherhand, since it's laser cut, you're going to have to get that repaired by them.

• 2 weeks later...
Had a similar problem with my Land Cruiser, no it doesn't have a similar key whatsoever, just a cheap key but it did keep the key in the ignition and made removal generally impossible. I eventually had to wait for the pins to move out of the way and it eventually released it. Had a locksmith come by and fix the ignition, for the lexus on the otherhand, since it's laser cut, you're going to have to get that repaired by them.

You should be able to fix this problem yourself if your mechanically inclined. You need a new ignition lock cylinder or switch sometimes they come as one unit.

I have a 95 LS400 and every time I go to turn the car off, the key stops dead at the position where it allows the radio and some other electrical features to stay on......it wont turn any further than that and allow me to remove the key from the ignition. HOWEVER, if I very quickly turn the key to the right, barely hear the engine fire, then even quicker, turn it back to the left...it will go all the way to the left and allow me to remove the key.

This is just maddening to me and for me and would like to know if anyone has encountered a similar problem in your Lexus (doesnt have to be an LS400 model) and what causes this or how it can be fixed.......and for how much!!!! Thanks very much.

Are you sure its not a fault with the inhibitor solenoid or the activation switch on the shifter that stops the key being put into the "lock" position unless the auto shifter is in the "park" position?

Try applying some forward pressure to the shifter while trying to turn the key into the "lock" position.

• 8 years later...