Steering Rack Replacement

nc211

I'm probably going to buy a Maval reman rack for the car. Steering is a new area for me. Has anyone replaced their rack on their own? Is it hard to replace the rack, especially with car on jack stands and not on a lift? Are we talking about a few nuts and bolts, or is it a more intense process that requires a lot of time/effort/pain, like getting at the starter?

Thanks guys.

I'm probably going to buy a Maval reman rack for the car. Steering is a new area for me. Has anyone replaced their rack on their own? Is it hard to replace the rack, especially with car on jack stands and not on a lift? Are we talking about a few nuts and bolts, or is it a more intense process that requires a lot of time/effort/pain, like getting at the starter?

Thanks guys.

n:

My Maval Pump is hanging in there just fine. It's 17 months old.......no leaks, no groans. So, a Maval rack is probably a good choice. I'm trying to remember where I saw pictures of the rack and possibly the replacement procedure. I have seen it, but I don't remember where right now. It did strike me that there wasn't much to it. I think there are two clamps w/four nuts (for the body of the rack), two hoses (in & out), one electrical connector (for your friend, Mr. solenoid), one Pittman arm (or reasonable facsimile thereof), and your tie rod ends. I'd mark the spacing/placement/location of everything before starting, particularly the Tie rod ends. Obviously, get it aligned after you replace the rack. Given the amount and complexity of the work you've done. I don't think you'd have much of a problem.

I'll keep looking, but I bet you'd "ace the test".........

Also, FWIW, I flushed my P/S fluid yesterday and everything was in good shape after 60k miles. there was a bit of crap on the solenoid screen, but not bad overall. Maybe most of the "shedding" of the interior of the hoses happens in the first, say 100K. I was mildly surprised that there wasn't more gunk on the screen. It's relatively easy to completely flush the P/S system, so it's fairly easy to keep up with.

Oh, and make sure you disconnect your battery before you start so you don't di*k up your airbags.

Thanks guys.

Does this mean that you will be keeping the LS ?

Great point about the battery Thread, I would of never thought about that, and I bet pulling the rack off could very well trigger the airbags. Now THAT would be a mess, and make me quite upset! It steers like new again, except for the blow up steering wheel. hahahaha...

DC, I'm still selling it, but not in a big hurry too. I already bought a "lists until it sells" add on cars.com, so I'm just gonna leave it up, and see what happens. If it sells, then it sells. But if it takes it a few months, so be it. This car is meant for someone looking for an LS400 specifically, not for someone looking for a car in general. And I think it'll have to sell to someone like that. If it doesn't sell by the time we have the house projects closure to done, then I'm probably going to eat the lost equity of selling it myself and trade her in, or put it on a consignment lot. It's a great car, but I really want to try something else for a while. There can't just be the LS400 that's so good out there, otherwise we'd all be driving one. In the long run, I'll be back to the 430's, but they're still a bit out of my reach, and I don't have the funds nor the patience to rehab another LS.

From what I've read on the bmw forums, I can completely rehab a 325 wagon with about 50k miles for around $800 - $1,000. That includes waterpump, control arms, all fluids, etc..... That's pretty darn good! I don't know what it is about those 325 wagons, but the sport models just look so dang sharp to me, and I really like the way they drive. Not as smooth as the Lexus, not as quiet either, but not bad either. Although I'm still on the fence about the sport seats and the normal seats. Almost too much side bolster for me, but that's also coming from an LS driver....aka...living-room on wheels. One thing I won't really miss though is the lost converstations with my passengers. It's almost a guaranteed promise that anyone who rides in my car, is usually sound a sleep within 10 miles, or drolling and in a state of comatoast due to it being so quiet and smooth. hahahaha.... kind of boring for the driver sometimes!

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys.

Does this mean that you will be keeping the LS ?

tcpaul

Please advise on the cost of the reman rack from Maval. Did you order and they ship, or did you locate it from a local source?

they would never call me back, so I said "screw it", as it is nearly certain this car will be replaced in the coming month or two for either a 3 series wagon or Infiniti QX4. I'm not even sure if it is the rack in my car and not a lower control arm bushing gone bad, again. I think it might be by strut rods, because i bought them online, and had the dealership install them under protest. I have a thread on here about proper install methods, as I don't think they did them right and have prematurely worn out. But to answer your question, I don't have an answer, they would never give me one.