Ecm Issue Or Else?

EAGLE33

My problem came back after a few weeks....stalling engine while driving.

Recently I've done timing and changed ECM. Shortly after, instead of being better, my car don't want to drive like it use to.

First it started at 80mph down the freeway...my gages went down with a jerk like its dead (but it didn't stall), but in a couple of seconds went back to normal, next day the same for a few seconds, and nothing for two weeks after that. I went to a dealer to check it out and they didn't find anything wrong said it could be bad gas or an effect from Seafoam that I put in it). Now on Tuesday it started while driving in the city traffic....it did actually stalled a few times, but started normally. Wed morning stalled right after start, but worked fine all day. Thursday morning again....Could it be that my new (or should I say used, and I don't know where its been) ECM gives me this problems? Could it be something wrong with a timing setup? Any other things? it does it one day but its fine the other. It just becoming very unsafe to drive, specially if it quits on me at highway speed (I have two small kids in the car).....Please help!!! :cries:

it could be. Seems very easy to change. I'll be changing mine this weekend because my Lex feels just a bit sluggish. If that doesn't solve it, then on to other diagnostics....

Let me know how it turns out.

I'm confused....I will swap my ECU again to the old one and see what happens. I'd rather have low idle and stalling off of ramps, then car shutting down on me at freeway speeds :censored: I will post result later

The 95-96's had problems with some of the ECM's that have caused probs like your describing. They had a recall at one time, but that's long gone by now I'm sure. On the ECM itself there is a part number. The problematic one is p/n 89661-50302. The upgraded fix p/n is 89661-50303. Check your original and replacement and see what you've got. Who knows maybe you got one of the bum ECM's when you ordered the replacement.

When under warranty, they replaced the ECM, Cruise Control Computer and Plugs.

Mine is 02 like you said and I replaced myself to 03 (I did some research). But now its worth than it was with 02. I think it needs to be programmed specifically for the VIN# or it will give you problems. Besides I got 03 off of Ebay....so who knows where it came from (looks like from the junk yard). :censored: Meanwhile I will do software update on my old 02 and see what happens. Thanx for the info. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

This is just an update....I didn't do anything (I did upgraded ECM but never installed it) and my car seems to be normal for the past few weeks. No problem at all. It's really strange, but I still think that cause of the problem was Seafoam...I could be wrong, but so far no one knows what went on :chairshot:

• 2 weeks later...

Small point. Probably don't need to bring it up but did you check your battery cables to make sure they're tight? I've done a lot of things in the past only to find that the battery cable was intermittently losing contact.

Yo