Germans Are Cheaper?

nc211

I've been doing some comparisons of part prices and such for the 01+ 3 series BMW's. And to my shock, my complete and total shock, they're parts are MUCH cheaper than ours!!! OEM strut mounts for $34 bucks, v. $75 "lexuspartsonline". OEM brake rotors, $50 bucks, v. $108 for Lexus "lexuspartsonline.com".

I gotta' tell ya, the prices of our parts are making it tougher and tougher to think of the old LS as a DIY friendly option. I've been in a couple 3 series over the past few weeks, and I won't lie, I really like it. It's kind of nice to be reminded what "sporty" feels like. And if those are the real prices for parts, it's tough to dog on the 3 series anymore. I spoke with a german mechanic this morning about them, and he said the only thing to watch out for are the ones with the GM transmissions. Some have GM tranny's, and some have the ZF tranny's. The GM's burn up bands and are crap, but the ZF's are bullet proof. And he said "if you know how to use a screwdriver, you can fix a 3 series in your sleep."

Mine is going in the shop in the morning for the state inspection, and of course, to diagnoise what's causing it to wiggle around. Sure AM GETTING sick and tired of it too.

OOPS, I thought I was in the General Converstion section.... Mod's please move me. Thanks!

OOPS, I thought I was in the General Converstion section.... Mod's please move me. Thanks!

You're in the right forum. :)

I've been doing some comparisons of part prices and such for the 01+ 3 series BMW's. And to my shock, my complete and total shock, they're parts are MUCH cheaper than ours!!! OEM strut mounts for $34 bucks, v. $75 "lexuspartsonline". OEM brake rotors, $50 bucks, v. $108 for Lexus "lexuspartsonline.com".

I gotta' tell ya, the prices of our parts are making it tougher and tougher to think of the old LS as a DIY friendly option. I've been in a couple 3 series over the past few weeks, and I won't lie, I really like it. It's kind of nice to be reminded what "sporty" feels like. And if those are the real prices for parts, it's tough to dog on the 3 series anymore. I spoke with a german mechanic this morning about them, and he said the only thing to watch out for are the ones with the GM transmissions. Some have GM tranny's, and some have the ZF tranny's. The GM's burn up bands and are crap, but the ZF's are bullet proof. And he said "if you know how to use a screwdriver, you can fix a 3 series in your sleep."

Mine is going in the shop in the morning for the state inspection, and of course, to diagnoise what's causing it to wiggle around. Sure AM GETTING sick and tired of it too.

That doesn't surprise me much. I've never considered Lexus parts cheap....at all. The only part that I bought for the Lexus and thought it was surprisingly cheap was the gauge cluster lens for $20. Yesterday, I changed the O2 sensor in my Buick for $20...now that's cheap!
That's because I already moved it! ;)

• 4 weeks later...
The only part that I bought for the Lexus and thought it was surprisingly cheap was the gauge cluster lens for $20. Yesterday, I changed the O2 sensor in my Buick for $20...now that's cheap!
That's because I already moved it! ;)

dude those cluster lens are not cheap anymore. $160 for a clear piece of plastic! i checked with 2 dealers.

You guys are scaring me. My 'ol Benz was like owning an old Chevy when it came to buying parts. Cheap. So life's gonna change now, eh?:(

You got that right! :whistles:

Oh well. I bought the Lexus because you're not SUPPOSED to ever need to fix anything, right? ;)

Wrong. It's only a mechanical device that can break down just like any other appliance, but the Toyota Motor car Company has a better reputation for durability and reliability than most other manufacturers. :)

Boy. I wish there were more like you over at the Mercedes forum. They think those cars "walk on water". I've used that same logic, that is, they're just machines. Nothing more. Machines break. Period. Welcome to real life. :rolleyes: