I Live In Snow Country ...

And after watching An Inconvenient Truth I am inspired to buy the 400h instead of yet another Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am (as usual) planning on going to Consumer Reports for a buying (price) guide, but don't know which options to choose for this particular AWD car. I know I want the navigational system and whatever else will add to the resale value (no rear seat entertaiment system for me though.) Which other options should I be thinking of checking on the Consumer Reports "wish list"? Is there a package that will get me the upgrades which will qualify my 2007 AWD 400h as "loaded'?

Tires? Headlights? Wood?

Thanks!

i would get the Premium Plus Package - Luxury Value Edition and then just add the navigation as an ala carte option. And i see for 600 bucks, you can get heated seats (good for the snow) and rain sensing wipers which are a godsend.

dont forget to college your tax credit next year in april!

Leather-trimmed interior

Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column

Lexus Memory System to control power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel

Illuminated entry system

Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close and sliding sunshade

Roof rack with rails [4]

Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto-leveling

Most important option you will need in snow country, is Full Blown Winter Tires... like the Bridgestone Blizzaks. So, you might want to invest in an extra set of rims. I picked up a set of 400H rims on ebay, so this way the summer tires and winter tires do not need to take a beating every year as they are mounted and remounted on the oem wheels. Also, you will save in the end since the cost of unmounting, mounting and balancing 2x a year is not cheap.

Cheers,

MadloR

P.S. rain sensing wipers in the winter simply (in my case, anyways) do not work very well.

Jim's right on target about the Blizzaks. They're awesome in the snow and I do have mine mounted on their own rims. You can tackle almost any snow condition with the 400 provided you have snow tires. As far as options go, I'd make sure you get the NAV, heated seats, Rain-sensing wipers, AFS headlights, and moonroof. The wood interior option is really up to you. Some folks want this(not originally available on the hybrid) and some don't so you really can't go wrong. I think XM radio is a plus and perhaps the Lexus hitch just in case you ever want to pull something. I can't speak to the ML sound system and therefore don't know if it's worth the premium. As I recall, there wern't alot of options on the 400, it come's fairly loaded. Happy Hunting!

After watching the great global warming swindle I am convinced that An Inconvenient Truth is pure BS. However I don't care about global warming and feel it is part of the normal cooling and heating cycle of the earth, 20 years ago these same scientists were predicted an upcoming ice age. Don't forget Gore's house uses 20 to 30 times more energy than the average home uses. He claims to make up for it my buying carbon offset credits. But the credits he buys is from a company that he owns and all the profits go into his pocket. reguardless of the issue of warming I feel the RX is a wise choice strictly for fuel savings plus the fact it produces less emissions. I dont believe in the warming BS but I do think it is nice to drive something that doesn't pollute as much, plus the technology is cool and it is fun to watch the NAV screen to see when you are driving with the engine completely off (PS not all hybrids are able to turn the engine off when you are stopped at a traffic light). I happen to have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, and I also just acquired a RX400H last October. I have a house in TX ans a house in NY. I planned on keeping the Jeep in NY and the RX in TX but I may have to change my plans.

The Jeep Overland comes loaded and other than the power adjustable pedals it has almost every option that the RX has. The RXS has pretty much the same room and power as the Jeep but so far it seems to have more than double the gas mileage. I brought the RX back from TX for the summer and now the jeep just never gets used. I love the NAV system but I am very disappointed that a lot of the features can't be used when the car is moving. If I had it to do over again I would still get the NAV but I still wish I could use it while I am driving. At the very least Lexus should put a sensor in the passenger seat that would allow a passenger to operate the NAV while the car is in motion.

I haven't had any experience with the RX in the snow but I have read mixed reviews, some people are very unhappy with it while others seem to have no problem in the deep stuff. I suspect a lot has to do with drive technique and a lot of people seem to feel snow tires will help a lot. As soon as I sell my house in NY I am going to sell the Jeep and stick with the RX. 93 octane is selling for $3.29 in NY so switching to the RX from the Jeep is almost getting gas for $1.50.

I would look around and shop for prices. The dealers in TX wanted hundreds of dollars more per month than the dealers in NY so I bought in NY. You may be able to find a dealer in a nearby state that could save you hundreds a month and it may be worth while to fly out to a out of state dealer and drive it back. I got a very good deal on my car but I heard that someone in California did even better

And after watching An Inconvenient Truth I am inspired to buy the 400h instead of yet another Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am (as usual) planning on going to Consumer Reports for a buying (price) guide, but don't know which options to choose for this particular AWD car. I know I want the navigational system and whatever else will add to the resale value (no rear seat entertaiment system for me though.) Which other options should I be thinking of checking on the Consumer Reports "wish list"? Is there a package that will get me the upgrades which will qualify my 2007 AWD 400h as "loaded'?

Tires? Headlights? Wood?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that all RXes are first and foremost FWD vehicles. In the case of the AWD versions, including the RXh, so heavily front torque biased as to make no difference over FWD. Additionally absent owner modification tire chains CANNOT be used on the rear due to poor tire/suspension clearance. Going from a Jeep to an RX with FWD torque bias can be an interesting experience on ice or packed snow unless you already have wintertime FWD experience.

My own 2001 AWD RX300 has 1.5" wheel spacers all around so rear tire chains can be used initially and the front added if conditions warrant. I also run on nice quiet and comfortable riding Bridgestone Turanza summer only tires all year around here in the Seattle and rely on the tire chains on those rare occassions of need. For winter snow skiing we use the old reliable AWD Ford Aerostar.

There is also the issue of the flawed climate control design with regards to windshield fogging in cool or cold and humid weather. Google for wwest, demist, and denso for more info on that.

Personally were I you I wouldn't buy the AWD version, keep the RX in TX where it will be most happy, and the Jeep in the northern reaches where its AWD/4WD system will be more than adequate.

We retired our second Jeep, a 1992 AWD/4WD Jeep Cherokee Limited, to a cattle and wheat ranch in north central MT in 2001 when we bought the first RX. It's still doing stellar duty there, winter and summer.

After watching the great global warming swindle I am convinced that An Inconvenient Truth is pure BS.

Rather than buying into right wing talking points that have an obvious bias and agenda, I would suggest you view the Inconvient Truth movie yourself and make up your own mind.

This isn't about a political agenda... its about our collective moral obligation as the top life form on the planet.

I am still somewhat amazed that Jeeps are still selling, given their less than stellar repair history (according to Consumer Reports and neighbors who had them). I guess their two advantages are their off-road ability and their cost. Still, I will always remember my neighbor's comments about his Grand Cherokee: "Every time I look underneath it, I see another leak!"

The RX400h is light-years ahead as far as fuel economy, quality, and reliability - well worth the extra cost, IMO.

I am still somewhat amazed that Jeeps are still selling, given their less than stellar repair history (according to Consumer Reports and neighbors who had them). I guess their two advantages are their off-road ability and their cost. Still, I will always remember my neighbor's comments about his Grand Cherokee: "Every time I look underneath it, I see another leak!"

The RX400h is light-years ahead as far as fuel economy, quality, and reliability - well worth the extra cost, IMO.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because my Jeep has been trouble free and unstoppable in the snow. However there is no contest between the Jeep and the RX the RX is a better car than the Jeep.. I can't tell you how the RX does in the snow because I have never driven it in the snow, but as I said before Drivers technique can go a long way in overcoming the shortcomings of any vehicle.

I apologize for getting off topic with the global warming statement but I felt that it should be pointed out that not everyone that buys one of these things believes in global warming. As much as I disagree with your point of view I still respect your right to express your opinion.

To me the RX is an amazing bunch of technology all rolled up into one car. Make sure you get the NAV option so you can watch what is going on with the drive train. It is amazing how the computer switched from battery to engine (ICE) to ICE and battery. I was stuck in typical Long Island rush hour traffic today and I loved how the engine turned itself off and when it was my turn to creep up 5 or 10 more feet I was able to do it on battery power alone.

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because my Jeep has been trouble free and unstoppable in the snow. However there is no contest between the Jeep and the RX the RX is a better car than the Jeep.. I can't tell you how the RX does in the snow because I have never driven it in the snow, but as I said before Drivers technique can go a long way in overcoming the shortcomings of any vehicle.

I apologize for getting off topic with the global warming statement but I felt that it should be pointed out that not everyone that buys one of these things believes in global warming. As much as I disagree with your point of view I still respect your right to express your opinion.

To me the RX is an amazing bunch of technology all rolled up into one car. Make sure you get the NAV option so you can watch what is going on with the drive train. It is amazing how the computer switched from battery to engine (ICE) to ICE and battery. I was stuck in typical Long Island rush hour traffic today and I loved how the engine turned itself off and when it was my turn to creep up 5 or 10 more feet I was able to do it on battery power alone.

silvercorvette' post=I am still somewhat amazed that Jeeps are still selling, given their less than stellar repair history (according to Consumer Reports and neighbors who had them). I guess their two advantages are their off-road ability and their cost. Still, I will always remember my neighbor's comments about his Grand Cherokee: "Every time I look underneath it, I see another leak!"

I know. I swear by Consumer's Reports and they have really never rated the Jeeps very highly. I guess I've been lucky also, since I am driving my fourth one and haven't had all that much trouble to speak of. Anyway, I am ready to buy myself a really nice car this time, and after much thought and research have decided on the RX400h; it's expensive, but it appears to be a great quality hybrid -- also, Consumers Reports loves it.

I very much appreciate all of the feedback. Please, may I have some more?

(I am going to assume that this isn't the time nor the place get into a heated discussion about global warming. All I have to say is that I want to be able to look my great-grandkids in the eye and say: "I did what I could, honey."

silvercorvette' post=I am still somewhat amazed that Jeeps are still selling, given their less than stellar repair history (according to Consumer Reports and neighbors who had them). I guess their two advantages are their off-road ability and their cost. Still, I will always remember my neighbor's comments about his Grand Cherokee: "Every time I look underneath it, I see another leak!"

I know. I swear by Consumer's Reports and they have really never rated the Jeeps very highly. I guess I've been lucky also, since I am driving my fourth one and haven't had all that much trouble to speak of. Anyway, I am ready to buy myself a really nice car this time, and after much thought and research have decided on the RX400h; it's expensive, but it appears to be a great quality hybrid -- also, Consumers Reports loves it.

I very much appreciate all of the feedback. Please, may I have some more?

(I am going to assume that this isn't the time nor the place get into a heated discussion about global warming. All I have to say is that I want to be able to look my great-grandkids in the eye and say: "I did what I could, honey."

PS

What's the best price y'all have paid for a 2007 with all the bells and whistles? I was quoted $40K on the phone by one dealer, but he also said, "Good for today ony!" which always makes me want to hang up the phone and run. I'm certain that he would have found a few extra charges that weren't included in that quote when the time came.

After watching the great global warming swindle I am convinced that An Inconvenient Truth is pure BS.

Rather than buying into right wing talking points that have an obvious bias and agenda, I would suggest you view the Inconvient Truth movie yourself and make up your own mind.

This isn't about a political agenda... its about our collective moral obligation as the top life form on the planet.

I decided not to go with a third Jeep for two reasons, Chrysler, and the traditional Jeep "box" was discontinued.

I decided not to go with a third Jeep for two reasons, Chrysler, and the traditional Jeep "box" was discontinued.

I'm not familiar with "the traditional Jeep "box" . What is it?

I did have a Jeep GCL w/ Quadradrive and the 4.7L engine. It was impressive in the way it handled snow, mud and slippery road conditions. The Quadradrive system was more mechanical than electronic so it was a little delayed in the way it responded (nothing like Stability Control)... I ran it on the factory GoodYear SR-A tires. As impressive as the Jeep was, the 400H on blizzaks is more than up to the task to handle foul weather and snow.

Obviously, I wouldn't go offroad with it or choose the 400H to drive in Costa Rica (trust me, if you want to test 4wd, book a trip to Costa Rica), but for urban assault it is more than a capable vehicle. Also, the 400H is Front wheel drive even if you opt for the rear motor option (they call it 4 wheel drive / AWD, but let's get serious, it isn't), but this vehicle suffers from severe torque steer if you floor it. Now, this vehicle wasn't intended to be driven foot to the floor from stop light to stop light, but it's a fact that cannot be denied... a 45K plus vehicle that suffers from torque steer.

My GCL was every bit as roomy and comfortable as the 400h, I never experienced any leaks or mechanical break downs. The engine was solid, powerful and smooth, as was the tricked out 5speed shift sequence (not 5 gears, but Jeep employed the gear down gear in the 1-2-3-4 sequence to enable a "5 gear"). The only gripe I ever had with the GCL was when Jeep issued a mandatory service bulletin concerning emissions, the ECU flash literally killed the engine. The 4.7L after the flash felt lethargic and fat cat like compared to prior being flashed, many on the boards complained and warned other owners not to have the mandatory flash at there local dealer when bringing in the Jeep for service. It was the main reason after 3 years of ownership that I sold it and vowed never to purchase another Jeep product again. How can a vehicle with such a wonderfull engine be marketed and sold and then have the carpet pulled from under the very owners who purchased one? Outrageous (ok, I'm getting off topic and my blood is beginning to boil again)!

400h ordering suggestion / opinion...

...AWD, NAV w/ bluetooth capability, HID AFS, Heated seats, Rain sensing wipers, factory Trailer Hitch, Wood Interior, Lexus m/s mats including rear cargo area.

...Aftermarket route, get the ipod radio adaptor (if your into music), winter tires (get oem rims they look the best and look right for this class of vehicle), tint the front windows to better integrate with the rest of the rear passenger and cargo area windows, upgrade the High beams to 4300K halogen bulbs, and upgrade the fog/driving lights to HID retro kit.

ML and rear DVD... Hmm, I'm not sure if the ML is THAT much better than the factory premium radio. As for the rear DVD player, hmm, more and more are into the Ipod Video or mp3 portable device that is Mpeg2/4 with built in screen. Oh, one nice thing would be the cargo area dc to ac outlet that comes with the rear DVD player.

Cheers,

MadloR

Is there a package that will get me the upgrades which will qualify my 2007 AWD 400h as "loaded'?

I recommend the ML sound system. The upgrade is worth it if you enjoy music and want audiophile reprodcution. I've driven the 330 loaners with the std stereo and it does not comprare to the ML. The sound stage of the ML is stable and elevated with clear highs and mids for excellent vocals and acoustics. The bass is far more powerful and desparately needed in the cavernous interior of the 400h. Coupled with the Vias iPod interface (which is easy to install yourself) the ML makes the time spent in the 400h even more enjoyable.

I'm not familiar with "the traditional Jeep "box" . What is it?

Jeep (lack of) "styling" prior to the Grand Cherokee.

I cannot agree more. From a global point of view based on hard, scientific facts, and even many of Mr.Bush's allies agree, Global Warming is very serious and very real. The people that do not agree with Global Warming are far and few between. We, as Americans, one of the top polluters (if not the top polluter) have a moral obligation and responsibility to protect our planet for our children & their children, etc..

Gore is all talk and no action. I might have believed him if he practiced what he preached

Warming may be real but I doubt if it is caused by man, if it was how do you account for warming on other planets?

Link to story about warming on other planets

http://motls.blogspot.com/2006/05/global-w...on-jupiter.html

How many people are old enough to remember back in the 70s and 80s scientists were just as sure that we were headed for another ice age

Bush's Ranch House 'Far More Eco-Friendly' Than Gore's

By Randy Hall

CNSNews.com Staff Writer/Editor

March 01, 2007

(CNSNews.com) - George Bush may be a nemesis of the global green movement and Al Gore its hero, but the president's home is arguably far more environmentally-friendly than the home of the man he defeated in the 2000 election.

Bush's "Western White House" in Crawford, Texas, has been praised as "an eco-friendly haven" while the former vice-president's home in Nashville, Tennessee was criticized this week for heavy power consumption.

"In politics, people don't always practice what they preach," Marlo Lewis, Jr., a senior fellow at the conservative Competitive Enterprise Institute (CEI), told Cybercast News Service on Wednesday.

Bush has been criticized harshly by environmentalists for his opposition to the Kyoto Protocol and its mandatory cuts on emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases blamed for global warming.

By contrast, Gore on Sunday won an Academy Award for his documentary focusing on the impact of climate change. He recently announced a series of music concerts on seven continents in July to drew further attention to the cause.

"It's interesting that Bush seems to actually practice conservation, while Gore seems to want to buy his way out of his obligations," said Lewis, referring to the purchase of offsets for carbon emissions attributed to the high power use in Gore's 20-room mansion.

An April 2001 article in USA Today described the president's 4,000-square-foot single-story limestone house in Crawford as an "eco-friendly haven."

"Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into purifying tanks underground -- one tank for water from showers and bathroom sinks, which is so-called 'gray water,' and one tank for 'black water' from the kitchen sink and toilets," it said. "The purified water is funneled to the cistern with the rainwater."

In addition, "the Bushes installed a geothermal heating and cooling system, which uses about 25 percent of the electricity that traditional heating and air-conditioning systems consume."

As Cybercast News Service reported earlier, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research (TCPR) charged on Monday that Gore's mansion in Nashville "consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year."

"As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use," said TCPR President Drew Johnson.

David Roberts, staff writer for the online environmental magazine Grist, Wednesday criticized the analysis by the TCPR, which he described as an "attack group from Tennessee."

The center's report had been "thrown together purely for the purpose of attacking Al Gore after the Oscars," Roberts told Cybercast News Service.

It was unfair, he said, to compare Gore's electrical consumption to the national average, which "includes apartments and trailer homes and is an average across all climatic zones, some of which are quite temperate."

Gore and his wife, Tipper, "both work out of their house" and "have special security measures for an ex-vice president, all of which naturally increases the electricity use in the home," Roberts added.

Moreover, Gore "pays almost a 50 percent premium to buy the 'green power' offered from his electrical company," which generates its voltage from hydroelectric and nuclear power rather than coal, he said.

"If every national leader did as much as Al Gore does to ameliorate their impact on the climate, the world would be a much better place."

Nevertheless, Roberts conceded that the energy efficiency of the president's home in Crawford is "fantastic."

"I wish that George Bush would back public policy that is in line with what he does on his ranch," he said.

'Elitist'

Johnson of the TCPR defended his group's report against criticism from Gore's supporters.

He acknowledged that the information was obtained from the National Electric Service the day after Gore won his Oscar, but argued that "it is fair to compare Gore's [energy] use to what most Americans are used to."

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Pag...L20070301c.html

"All of the niceties he may have and all the extra people he may have running in and out of his house still shouldn't mean that the person leading this environmental charge should have 20 times the electrical consumption of the average American," Johnson charged.

The CEI's Lewis said the disparity between Gore's message on global warming and his power consumption reflected an "elitist mentality."

"The average soccer mom can't afford to plant trees in the rainforest in order to remain carbon neutral," he said.

"All these jet-setters' lives consist of going to conferences in other countries by burning jet fuel and staying in posh hotels where they keep the lights on all day and so on in order to tut-tut about how wasteful the rest of us are in our use of energy," he stated.

"They always make an exception for themselves because what they're doing is so important."

For more info check this link to snopes

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

Okay, let's not get too far off-topic here. Debating whether global warming is real or not can easily get out of hand, so why don't we back away from this issue - at least here. The gas prices here are expected to go up to $4.00 or more, this Summer and I think that's reason enough to have a hybrid SUV.

Thanks,

Dave

Okay, let's not get too far off-topic here. Debating whether global warming is real or not can easily get out of hand, so why don't we back away from this issue - at least here. The gas prices here are expected to go up to $4.00 or more, this Summer and I think that's reason enough to have a hybrid SUV.

Thanks,

Dave

If I could buy an FE "conscious" SUV I certainly would. In the meantime I guess I'll stick with the Prius.

Can only imagine how good the FE would be if the Prius team built an SUV.

Supercharged Miller cycle I4...?

AC electric motor driving the supercharger via the hybrid battery...?

Smallish I4 producing STELLAR FE for just cruising along and INSTANT HP, but within reason, for acceleration.

I guess the possibilities are endless and we may see some or all of what you mention, W. For an efficient, yet somewhat powerful sedan, the Camry Hybrid is stellar, IMO. Ah, but we are getting a bit off-topic again. What happened to the snow country comments. Maybe the original poster received enough information......

Dave

OK here is what I think of fully loaded. Even a stripped RX400H without options is really loaded. And getting an R400H with every option that make may get options you may never need or use. I suggest you go to the Lexus site and review the options

http://www.lexus.com/models/RXh/features/pricing.html

You may discover the car has everything that you may need with out buying the extras. I personally don't want an entertainment system and I don't need a fancy radio because I mainly listen to AM talk radio along with (CD & DVD) of old radio shows that were recorded in the 1930s and 1940s

(EDIT to CDs and cassette tape)

Also keep in mind that you may not find the exact car you want in stock and ordering one may take longer than you want to wait. I was able to find a car with the color and options I wanted with one exception. I wanted the laser cruise control but they didn't have a single car with that option so I couldn't wait and took the exact car I wanted without the laser cruise control.

There may be a lot of people that may not agree with this but some of my best memories as a kid on a long vacation trip was looking out the window and seeing new places. I feel that having an entertainment system to keep the kids quite is really depriving them of a great learning experience and the opportunity to see places they don't normally see. A while back my cousin mentioned that they bought a portable DVD player so their son could watch movies. I didn't say anything but I thought to myself about how sad it was for the kid to make a long trip and never look outside to see other parts of the country.

PS I did wind up with the better radio (Mark Levinson® 11-speaker 210-watt) because it was part of the NAV package that the dealer ordered as an inventory car

sorry rx400h, im tempted to go off topic again ;) i promise not for long

Ah-ha! Trying to stip up the pot, are we, RX330? Seriously, we already know that some of us feel very strongly, one way or the other, so why light a match? ...another time and another place, perhaps...........

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks,

Dave

If I could buy an FE "conscious" SUV I certainly would. In the meantime I guess I'll stick with the Prius.

Can only imagine how good the FE would be if the Prius team built an SUV.

Supercharged Miller cycle I4...?

AC electric motor driving the supercharger via the hybrid battery...?

Smallish I4 producing STELLAR FE for just cruising along and INSTANT HP, but within reason, for acceleration.