Returned '04 Rx330 - Got '06 Acura Mdx

Guest dms666

Guest dms666

So the lease was up on my '04 RX330...what to do? With the relatively high residual and my growing family, I decided to look into other vehicles. I was looking at SUV's with three rows of seats. I found a beautiful '06 MDX, fully loaded with navigation, backup camera, etc. so I jumped on it.

I am very impressed with this vehicle, even more so than the RX330. I had forgotten what a smooth shifting transmission felt like! I have no regrets with the RX but I am even happier now with the MDX.

So the lease was up on my '04 RX330...what to do? With the relatively high residual and my growing family, I decided to look into other vehicles. I was looking at SUV's with three rows of seats. I found a beautiful '06 MDX, fully loaded with navigation, backup camera, etc. so I jumped on it.

I am very impressed with this vehicle, even more so than the RX330. I had forgotten what a smooth shifting transmission felt like! I have no regrets with the RX but I am even happier now with the MDX.

If your '06 has SH-AWD you have just made a STELLAR improvement in wintertime AWD capability.

Great choice - I wanted the MDX, she wanted the RX330. Guess who won?

I'd really like that extra room...and personally I like the 2006 MDX much better than the 2007, at least in terms of styling.

Congrats and enjoy.

I agree - the MDX is a better vehicle than the RX330. Good luck with yours....

Well...

Wait just a gosh durn minit...!

If the MDX does have the SH-AWD system then its AWD capability will be head and shoulders above the RX, "ANY" RX.

But, overall, I think I would choose the RX over the MDX.

Now start comparing the RX and the RDX and that's where I get more indecisive...

If the RDX dash weren't so busy and my current RX were ready to be put out to pasture...

I like details on advanced features described by Honda on 2G MDX. Something Lexus probably will never do.

Don't you love power gained from superior design, not just from bigger displacement?

Dual stage intake manifold is not new, but how about a dual stage (variable flow) exhaust?

How about MDX's modular catalytic convertor? If it ever goes bad, there is no need to replace the resonator, and exhaust pipe to the mufflor (guess which car REQUIRES the owner to do so?)

Now SH-AWD, all I can say is Wow!

Here is the link and some quotes:

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/712/releases/3758

Compared to the previous generation MDX, the new powerplant gained 47 horsepower and 25 lbs.-ft. of torque. Of that horsepower gain, 20 horsepower came from an increase in displacement and a new 11.0:1 compression ratio and 15 more horsepower are due to new intake port shape, valve design and VTEC® tuning. The final 12 horsepower is credited to the new MDX's high-flow induction and exhaust systems. Although more powerful, the engine is actually 17.2 pounds or 3.7% lighter than the engine it replaces and offers six percent more displacement
2-PIECE DUAL-STAGE INTAKE MANIFOLD

The MDX uses a dual-stage intake manifold that is designed to deliver maximum airflow to the cylinders across the full range of engine operating speeds. The 2-piece cast-magnesium manifold is also very light. Compared to the 1-piece, dual-stage unit used on the previous generation MDX, the new manifold weighs 53% less and saves 8.0 lbs. Combined with the new exhaust system, induction flow improvements contribute 12 horsepower to the new MDX's 300 horsepower total.

The induction system significantly boosts torque across the engine's full operating range by working in concert with the VTEC® valvetrain. Internal passages and two butterfly valves are operated by the powertrain control module provide two distinct modes of operation by changing plenum volume and intake airflow routing.

At lower rpm these valves are closed to reduce the volume of the plenum and effectively increase the length of inlet passages for maximum resonance effect and to amplify pressure waves within each half of the intake manifold at lower rpm ranges. The amplified pressure waves significantly increase cylinder filling and torque production throughout the lower part of the engine's rpm band.

As the benefits of the resonance effect lessen with rising engine speed, the butterfly valves open at 3800 rpm to interconnect the two halves of the plenum, increasing its volume. An electric motor, commanded by the powertrain control module, controls the connecting butterfly valves. The inertia of the mass of air rushing down each intake passage helps draw in more charge than each cylinder would normally ingest. The inertia effect greatly enhances cylinder filling and the torque produced by the engine at higher rpm.

Downstream of the close-coupled catalyst, a hydroformed 2-into-1 collector pipe carries exhaust gases to a single secondary converter under the passenger cabin. This high-flow unit has a revised shape and a large 62mm outlet (up from 55mm). Downstream of the underfloor catalyst, the system splits flow into a pair of underfloor chambers (the previous MDX used a single chamber) to give the exhaust note a more refined sound. Dual silencers near the rear fascia incorporate an exhaust pressure-activated valve to balance the engine's need for proper exhaust back pressure at low speed and free flow at high speed. With the valve in each silencer closed, the exhaust sound level is muted for quiet cruising. When exhaust flow increases sufficiently due to high rpm and a large throttle opening, the silencer valves open and provide a secondary exit path inside the silencer chamber. In total, the MDX's exhaust system refinements improve flow potential by 18%.

wow, this is the bashing RX thread.

i chose my RX over the MDX for several reasons that i will list, that i suspect will get a lot of flaming, cough...

1) looks: the MDX is so bloated looking (old one) and its not as sleek as the RX. It looked too butch and not classy.

2) Prestige, acura vs lexus

3) interface/dash, not liking the placement of the nav screen etc.

4) i have never driven the MDX, but i dont imagine the old one being any more sporty than the RX. the new one is all the crave yes, but the old one didnt have low profile tires, air suspension etc.

dont worry guys, you made the right choice with the RX, lol

• 1 month later...

I don't think anyone can really knock down the MDX, but then again no one can really knock the RX either... they are just different preferences. One thing I've noticed with my experience with Acura and Lexus is that Acura tends to be more sport/performance oriented with luxury touches and great gas mileage. Lexus on the other hand is more luxury oriented with some sport touches and decent gas mileage.

Back in the mid 90's I was comparing a GS300 and a Legend LS and trying to make a decision. I liked the styling of the GS, but it was kind of slow and smooth and lifeless... where the Legend was just such a performer, but not as comfortable and relaxed to drive. Over the years things have changed, both companies have made improvements where they had deficienies, and now they are both incredibly impressive... one just needs to choose what they prefer. I prefer the RX.... for now.

wow, this is the bashing RX thread.

I don't see anyone bashing the RX, I see people reasonably and respectfully voicing opinions. Bashing the vehicle by saying things like "The RX sucks" blah blah blah is one thing, but nothing wrong here.

MDX's have always been good vehicles, I never liked the old styling and I didn't want the extra size or the stiffer ride so I went with the RX. I personally like the new MDX styling and might consider one todayif I were in the market. I hope they did away with the plastic wood, at least with the Lexus you got real wood. Thats gotta be worth something, right?!! :D