Clunking Into Gear

I have an LS 460 purchased in the end of December, 2006 that now has about 5,000 miles on it. I have generally been happy with the car but not 100%. After all, a car that advertises "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" is going to attract perfectionists...

I have been disappointed in the new 8 speed transmission. The biggest surprise is the abrupt "clunk" into fist gear when taking off from a prolonged stop. When I contacted the dealer regarding this issue, of course they were clueless. After two months of phone calls to Lexus, I find out the transmission is designed to "...go into neutral at a prolonged stop to save gas...and the clunk into gear is normal operation". Needless to say, I am disappointed. 70,000 dollar cars should not clunk into gear! If you are experiencing this problem and it annoys you as much as it does me--please contact Lexus and let them know. Evidently, if enough people contact them, they will consider revising the transmission programing...

And don't get me started about the "unsmooth downshifts" at highway speeds!

Thank you!

Are you using the brake hold feature when you're stopped for long periods?

I've never heard of a transmission going into neutral when stopped...

I have never heard of a transmission doing this either. It seems to me to be a good idea in theory but is not enjoyably in the real world.

When you use the brake hold feature, you do not have the same clunk because the transmission engages before you start to move. If you use the snow mode, it does not go into neutral--presumably because Lexus realized a jerky transmission in the snow would likely break traction.

So I am sure it is a programming problem rather than a mechanical malfunction--and that is why I am asking fellow Lexus enthusiasts for help in getting Lexus to see the light.

8 gears is too many for a passenger car if you ask me. In all honesty, this has been my main area of interest with the new LS, on how people will accept the 8 speed tranny, all the shifting around, and how it will hold up. I'm sure many will like it, and being Toyota in general, I'm sure it'll last forever, but I honestly think if you need 8 gears on a passenger car, then you might as well have the CV transmission instead. I think 5 is the sweet spot, maybe even 6. I have 4 in mine, and I have no complaints until about 80mph, then I start to hear the engine hum a little, which is normal, and just so happens they changed it to a 5 speed right around the same time the government upped the speed limits to 70mph and so forth.

I hope the 8 speed tranny doesn't turn out like the GX's driveshaft problem, that most people have complainded about.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Lexus LS460L yesterday, and I have noticed sort of a clunk sound. Usually at low speed, and not really that obvious, but I can notice it. I also think it could be the reason provided by blkls....car going into neutral to save gas.

Will pay more attention, then if it is really noticeable, then I will talk to my Lexus sales guy to see what he will say.

I doubt this issue has anything to do with the car having 8 gears though. I haven't heard any complaints about the shifting pattern when moving.

Mine is as smooth as silk...

Is it really "smooth as silk"? I have not been impressed by the smoothness of this transmission. The downshifing at highway speeds is poor at best. With a modest push on the gass, the car clunks into a lower gear. Try using your cruise control lever to accelerate from 55 to 65--at least two shifts/clunks...to get up to speed.

Just got my Lexus LS460L yesterday, and I have noticed sort of a clunk sound. Usually at low speed, and not really that obvious, but I can notice it. I also think it could be the reason provided by blkls....car going into neutral to save gas.

Will pay more attention, then if it is really noticeable, then I will talk to my Lexus sales guy to see what he will say.

After you are stopped for about 20 seconds or so, try to take your foot off the break and on the gas quickly and accelerate smoothly when the car is warmed up...

i think i know what clunk sound your getting. we over at the RX forum know about poor transmission designs. Obviously, under quick aceleration, your going to get harder shifts. The car is meant to be driven by old men and women. Acelerate slowly and see if you can feel the shifts/hear the clunk

I haven't noticed clunking during stop and go at traffic stops. However, I notice it more when I am parking on an incline, between shifting in and out of R & D. On the highway, I did not notice anything "rough" during acceleration, but then again I am just breaking-in the car, so I am not going to thrash it around too much.

I doubt this issue has anything to do with the car having 8 gears though. I haven't heard any complaints about the shifting pattern when moving.

Mine is as smooth as silk...

Is it really "smooth as silk"? I have not been impressed by the smoothness of this transmission. The downshifing at highway speeds is poor at best. With a modest push on the gass, the car clunks into a lower gear. Try using your cruise control lever to accelerate from 55 to 65--at least two shifts/clunks...to get up to speed.

I drive my LS aggressively hard both on acceleration, and coming out of hairpin turns (I drove my MT Rx7 for fourteen years, fishtails, handbrake turns and the like, Honda Accord Coupes & Acura 3.2 CL-S ATs also both very hard), and my driving style has not changed; the tranny has been as I described. I even had one AT replaced in the Accords. I don't hear or feel any clunking on my new LS as described above.

I bet you money the issue blkls is having stems from the drive by wire throttle system characteristics that have existed since Lexus rolled it out in 1998. Does it get better if you leave the transmission in ECT PWR?

I bet you money the issue blkls is having stems from the drive by wire throttle system characteristics that have existed since Lexus rolled it out in 1998. Does it get better if you leave the transmission in ECT PWR?

I've used ECT PWR sparingly as I "tried" to behave during the first 1K, but I still couldn't resist, especially when my son who drives a mod RSX Type S asked me to take him out for a spin. But the change was quite noticeable. The shift points and suspension were more aggressive.

It certainly is no F40, but it holds its own quite well.

It does not change at all in ECT PWR mode--but it goes away entirely in SNOW mode. When others are in the car, I end up driving around in SNOW mode to smooth things out. It is unfortunate when passengers notice the SNOW light on the dash and ask why it is on...and I have to explain that this 70,000+ car has a jerky transmission...

• 5 months later...

I don't know how the staff feels about bringing an old topic back, but I have two questions:

1. Has anything changed for the 08 model regarding this transmission clunk issue?

2. How severe is the clunk? Is it a gentle sort of pull or push, or one that's harder like you'd find in a civic or corolla, or a bone-jarring thud that transmits through the entire car?

I have an LS 460 purchased in the end of December, 2006 that now has about 5,000 miles on it. I have generally been happy with the car but not 100%. After all, a car that advertises "Relentless Pursuit of Perfection" is going to attract perfectionists...

I have been disappointed in the new 8 speed transmission. The biggest surprise is the abrupt "clunk" into fist gear when taking off from a prolonged stop. When I contacted the dealer regarding this issue, of course they were clueless. After two months of phone calls to Lexus, I find out the transmission is designed to "...go into neutral at a prolonged stop to save gas...and the clunk into gear is normal operation". Needless to say, I am disappointed. 70,000 dollar cars should not clunk into gear! If you are experiencing this problem and it annoys you as much as it does me--please contact Lexus and let them know. Evidently, if enough people contact them, they will consider revising the transmission programing...

And don't get me started about the "unsmooth downshifts" at highway speeds!

Thank you!

I have an 07L and brought it to the dealer for a definite hesitation (hicup) or clunk when taking off from a complete stop. They updated the transmission coding TC009-07 TC7007 TI-04/T2-99 FPN 8953550012. and it works fine now. I also have a flare between 1st and 2nd gear which they said was normal but I am still not happy with it.

I have an 07L and brought it to the dealer for a definite hesitation (hicup) or clunk when taking off from a complete stop. They updated the transmission coding TC009-07 TC7007 TI-04/T2-99 FPN 8953550012. and it works fine now. I also have a flare between 1st and 2nd gear which they said was normal but I am still not happy with it.

I have also had the transmission update and it resoved the dis-engaging torque converter issue. I agree that the transmission is still not as advertised. It definitely has a flare between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. It is much worse when the engine is cold but improves after running through the gears once and the engine starts to warm up.

It is odd that I read this forum again tonight because of several of the previous comments about improving the transmission's performance by putting it into pwr mode. I was about ran over when trying to merge at highway speeds today. There are times when the transmission hesitates so long that it is a safety risk. As I was accelerating onto the highway at a moderate pace I noticed a car rapidly approaching. I floored the car (past the downshift switch on the gas pedal) and it took at least a second for the car to downshift into the right gear. It first tried 5th or sixth and then jumped down another gear.

I have been very disappointed with this transmission. I doubt it is entirely the mechanics to blame--at least 80% programming. Even if the car is programmed for "old people" to drive, one would expect nearly instantaneous acceleration for a 380 hp car. On the rest of the way home, I tried the car in pwr mode and the transmission downshifted to the lower gear directly--much improved over the "regular mode".

The dealer performed the "wind noise fix" successfully. If we could just get the transmission to behave and shift smoothly between gears Lexus would be much closer to their "Perfection goal".

There is a warranty fix for this. Tell your dealer to see TSIB (Technical Service Information Bulletin) TC009-07 and get them to install it for you. Here's a link to other bulletins: http://www.lambros.net/2007LS460L/tsib/

Thank you for your response but as stated, I have already had that update completed. It only helped with the "jerk" when accelerating from a stop--not downshifts at highway speeds and the other transmission issues I have outlined...