Possible New Owner With Questions

LS400_Fan

Hello everyone

I'm looking to pickup a mint 96 LS400 with roughly 85k miles as long as it checks out okay. I have orginally completed a "quick" lookover of the car and so far the only problems i can tell of is the radio LCD isn't quite working but i know it's a commom problem.

I was also concerned about how high the cold start idle was BUT have recently found out that they just idle high cold before it comes out of cold start mode. So no big deal, i can live with that.

Can anyone give me some good estimates for changing the following:

timing belt

water pump

tensioners

idler pulleys

I have called a few local Lexus dealerships and it seems it will be around the $1200 range everything. Sound about right?

Also any new buyer tips or things to look for would be helpful. I have already been doing a lot of searching and reading and am excited to possibly buy my LS400.

Last question:

A local Lexus dealership said they could do an inspection for $120, do you think it's worth it?

Thank you

Hello everyone

I'm looking to pickup a mint 96 LS400 with roughly 85k miles as long as it checks out okay. I have orginally completed a "quick" lookover of the car and so far the only problems i can tell of is the radio LCD isn't quite working but i know it's a commom problem.

I was also concerned about how high the cold start idle was BUT have recently found out that they just idle high cold before it comes out of cold start mode. So no big deal, i can live with that.

Can anyone give me some good estimates for changing the following:

timing belt

water pump

tensioners

idler pulleys

I have called a few local Lexus dealerships and it seems it will be around the $1200 range everything. Sound about right?

Also any new buyer tips or things to look for would be helpful. I have already been doing a lot of searching and reading and am excited to possibly buy my LS400.

Last question:

A local Lexus dealership said they could do an inspection for $120, do you think it's worth it?

Thank you

Fan:

Some may argue the amount, but I would highly recommend paying the $120 IF you are seriously considering this car.

Would probably be some of the best money you ever spent.

Just one person's opinion.......

Definitely get the inspection. $1200 sounds good for the timing belt package. You might want to look up an independent shop in your area that specializes in toyota and lexus (usually n yellow pages). Talk to someone there and get a feel for them. They should be answer all of your questions and give you an idea about the condition of the car.

$1200 is a lexus stealer price. Find a good local guy, and I bet you anything he will do that for $700 or less. By the way you want to replace water pump with it (another $100 for the part)

Stereo lcd is a common issue, and so is the stereo light, but if you can live with it (like I do) it works just like it was the first day.

You might want to check for any strange sounds, because EGR tube issue is very common on 95-97, and it will cost you a bundle to replace (specially at the Stealer).

Otherwise you will enjoy this car like I'm doing for the past 4 years (mine is 96 also)

Oh, and paying $120 to check....it worth it!!! :cheers:

Eh I don't know, I've read posts from plenty of members who have found the indy shops cost in the neighborhood of $1k+ for the timing belt and water pump including new plugs etc.

$1200 is a lexus stealer price. Find a good local guy, and I bet you anything he will do that for $700 or less. By the way you want to replace water pump with it (another $100 for the part)

Stereo lcd is a common issue, and so is the stereo light, but if you can live with it (like I do) it works just like it was the first day.

You might want to check for any strange sounds, because EGR tube issue is very common on 95-97, and it will cost you a bundle to replace (specially at the Stealer).

Otherwise you will enjoy this car like I'm doing for the past 4 years (mine is 96 also)

Oh, and paying $120 to check....it worth it!!! :cheers:

Thank you for all the kind responses, also that $1200 includes the water pump.

Thank you.