Upgrades...?

I'm by no means looking to race my ES but I would like to know what are some good performance mods that I can add to my car. I'm looking for something that will give me the greatest power output; horsepower, torque, ect. I just want a little more power than what the engine puts out...I'm just not satisfied. I know the usual, intake, headers, blah blah blah, but I know there's got to be something else. Could anyone help me? Plz.?

Y-pipe will add 15-20bhp depending on cat/no cat /high flow cat.

Intakes can add acouple. Cat-back doesn't really do much of anything. About like an intake, afew peak horsepower & alot of sound.

You can adjust the ignition timing & A/F ratio for about 10-15bhp give or take how far off yours is.

Clean out the intake & combustion chambers, grind down some of the ACIS smoothe. That's some throttle responce.

Port the heads, unshroud the valves & get a good 3 angle valve job. That's abunch. 20-30bhp.

Run a 75-125 wet shot of n2o. Quickest thing for $500.

A good set of long tube headers w a proper y-pipe will also make good gains.

The crap TRD S/C can be ground down to fit.

And let's talk custom turbos. :)

Self-pimpage. I make 3vz-fe y-pipes. :D About finished with 1 right now. Also making a set of long tube headers, and probably going to make a boy a bolt on turbo kit later this year. (Winter)

Funny thing, Toysrme. I go to Google and I try searching "3vz-fe y-pipes" and the first thing I see is the Toyota Nation forums with one of YOUR posts OFFERING your 3vz-fe y-pipes. Now, that I see these posts, I'm planning on starting with an intake; what do you recommend?

And now that you mention y-pipes, how much would one run for on my '92? Or whether or not they're dependant on engine.

A good set of long tube headers w a proper y-pipe will also make good gains.
; Where would I get these? I want something high performance and it looks as if these Y-pipes and headers will significantly increase HP.

I just have so many questions, like, how I can adjust the ignition timing & A/F ratio?

...Help...?

LoL! I know. I love it! Long tube headers must be custom built. So anywhere that builds custom long tube headers. Me tehehe, I'm building a set now, but IDT I'll ever do any more again for under 800-900usd. There is waaay too much effort involved in it. :\

Y-pipe. $340usd without a cat, $400usd with a cat. Prices shipped ups lower 48 states.

The timing can be adjusted with a timing light & the distributor. The AFM you cut the top off & loosen the cog 5clicks, sometimes 10clicks. Depends. For an intake, I'd personally just build one using an AFM adapter & a pod filter. They really only give a couple of horsepower, so no reason to go haywire spending lots of money on one. The sound is spectacular, and replacement filters are cheap as sin.

Y-pipes by themselves give 15-20bhp over stock. (If your cat is trashed it'll give 20+ easily at say redline/fuel cut.) Unofficially, from a test drive I took on these headers b4 I had to change them up abit. I'm expecting 20-30bhp out of them over stock. Definately an increase in power of just a y-pipe in a broader rpm range, but I won't say it doubled the power gain. I'm not sure. We'll find out later when they get on the guy's car. I'm sending him my gtech pro/comp so we can get some form of opinion on them.

So do Y-pipes have to match the engine (i.e. my 3vz-fe)? I don't mind paying for a cat or y-pipe at all, actually, I was windering if anyone sold y-pipes and cat as a combo or something like that. And if they did, would the cat have to match the engine as well?

Also, about the long tube headers, since they're custom built, would I really need one? I don't think so. $1000 is alot of money to spend for for performance, again, I'm not looking to race but add a few HP's here and there, so my best option to increase HP would right now be the y-pipes and cat. To be sure, as I'm new to modifications, are we talking about a cat back or a catalytic converter?

Adjusting the timig seems a little too complicated for me to do at this point in time.

For this car all you can do is go dealer (sucks & expencive). Go Bosla (Just as bad design wise with cheaper pipe), or custom. You can't swap a y-pipe from another engine/car no. The cat just has to be 2.25-2.5". The OEM cats are not bad, they're 2.5". They're just old & get restrictive with age.

The cat convertor itself. The cat back is 2.25". A nice resonator, and the OEM muffler. It's not like perfec,t but it's not particularly restrictive, so it'd be small horsepower gains from changing the cat-back.

The best mod N/A is a y-pipe. Especially for the money.

The timing you just set the car in diagnostic mode (Jump TE1 & E1). Hook the timing light to the #1 spark plug wire. Loosen the two 12mm nuts holding the distributor in place. Point the gun at the crankshaft pulley & see where it's at on the scale. Stock should be 10*btdc. You'd want to adjust it to 15-17*btdc for more throttle responce & alittle more power. Once the dizzy is set where you want it. Tighten the bolts back.

will advancing the timing effect fuel consumption? Also, will premium be needed as a result? 200 hp sounds so much better than 185.

I needa get my es300 running, toysrme, you wanna help me diagnose it? please...

my es300 has less than 9000 miles on it. I'm pretty sure then engine is mint. I'm definatly puttin Mobil 1 in it from the start.

Just to explain, i found a rare non running manual :D es300 in tampa.

It was a pre production car used by automotive journalists for comparos and articles (who knows it might be in an old motor trend!). I'm pretty sure the story is true because there is only 1 record on carfax and lexus.com doesn't recognize the vin.

Me and my dad picked it up and tinkeredd a bit with it but its pretty much sat for 15+ years. Original everything, even the crappy Goodyear eagle GA's. Now i just need to figure out why the engine won't catch. Its cranks but won't start. I'm thinkin it might have a clogged fuel filter. maybe I'll clean out the tank, make sure the pump is pumping and add some more fresh gas. That should do it...hopefully.

I'm pretty sure once i get it running and cleaned up, i won't ever drive my LS. I love my LS but its starting to feel ponderous and cumbersome around town. ooh and i love manual trannys!

Ooooh i can't wait to here that engine start! Once i get it running i want to add a HID kit, get some 16s or 17s (lexus or toyota rims only, i hate most aftermarket) to replace the tiny 15's and some new tires. The only other mod i would want to do is advance the timing. Everything else can stay stock.

Its purple with a dark taupe interior. Not my fav color combo, but unique nonetheless.

Timing won't affect fuel consumption. It simply dictates when the start of the combustion process occures. (and when the fuel injectors work in our case.) Most of the power gained is by leaning the engine out via the AFM cog. Which... Would only change fuel consumption in open-loop mode. (Greater than 75-80% throttle.) But timing contributes afew.

The engine is so detuned, no. You don't need premium in it.

The TRD supercharger exists for the 97-01 Camry. It can be modified to fit any of ther other transverse 3.0-3.3L engines. I hate the things, but alot of people do them.

Don't need new headers if you just want to change the Y & cat.

The effective compression ratio does drop with age on the rings & how the valve seals (among the head gasket also). But compression is worth relatively little power at the amounts people are talking about.

OmarG wierd car. Start a new thread hehe.

Do you have to get a cat-back? No. Only if you want one. Just find you a good sounding muffler if you do, and use a resonator of some kind. Even if it's just a long $16 cherrybomb.

For N/A Power A y-pipe, high flow cat (if you have emessions, or want a cat), intake, and exhaust.