4 Runner V Gx470

ramblnman

I'm pretty sure this one's directed towards me.

The main difference between the 4Runner and GX is the size. To me, a 6 foot guy, size means a lot to me. That's one of the reasons why I sacrificed the moonroof in my 4Runner to get that extra inch or two. Quality is about the same, although the 4Runner feels about one or two levels lower in "insulation" than the GX but maybe that's all in my mind.

Secondly, the dials and instrumentation setup. I personally like the GX470's instrument setup and colors. I have to admit, I hate the orange dials and colors, and how cheap the setup of the a/c controls of the 4Runner. Plus i prefer the handbrake setup in the GX compared to the foot brake (American car style) of the 4Runner.

As for engine performance, if you want a comparison between a V8 4wd 4Runner and the V8 4wd GX, I can't say anything about that.

Attention? Obviously there's a little more attention with the GX no doubt. Personally I like driving the 4Runner around because it feels more handy, gives the guys the more "macho" look (at least in my area because the women drive the GX because it's a Lexus!). But I do admit my 06 4Runner gets me a lot of attention due to the DRLs (daytime running lights). It seems attractive for some reason?!?!?! :whistles: ^_^

IF you want to know anymore comparisons between the two, please let me know in what areas of the two vehicles you want a better comparison.

myspaceDSC01085.jpg

What trim of 4runner are you driving now?

A 2004 Sport Edition 4WD, V8 with 22,000 miles.

Driven by a little old man (me!).

I'm pretty sure this one's directed towards me.

The main difference between the 4Runner and GX is the size. To me, a 6 foot guy, size means a lot to me. That's one of the reasons why I sacrificed the moonroof in my 4Runner to get that extra inch or two. Quality is about the same, although the 4Runner feels about one or two levels lower in "insulation" than the GX but maybe that's all in my mind.

Secondly, the dials and instrumentation setup. I personally like the GX470's instrument setup and colors. I have to admit, I hate the orange dials and colors, and how cheap the setup of the a/c controls of the 4Runner. Plus i prefer the handbrake setup in the GX compared to the foot brake (American car style) of the 4Runner.

As for engine performance, if you want a comparison between a V8 4wd 4Runner and the V8 4wd GX, I can't say anything about that.

Attention? Obviously there's a little more attention with the GX no doubt. Personally I like driving the 4Runner around because it feels more handy, gives the guys the more "macho" look (at least in my area because the women drive the GX because it's a Lexus!). But I do admit my 06 4Runner gets me a lot of attention due to the DRLs (daytime running lights). It seems attractive for some reason?!?!?! :whistles: ^_^

IF you want to know anymore comparisons between the two, please let me know in what areas of the two vehicles you want a better comparison.

myspaceDSC01085.jpg

The ride, is there a difference in the ride? I find

the 4-Runner a bit tiresome to drive on long

trips.

Ride? First off, since you do have an SE, does it have X-REAS? I don't know how the X-REAS rides so I can't tell you if the GX is different or similar because I only have an SR5. But if you don't have X-REAS or it rides about the same as the SR5 w/o X-REAS, I would say the ride is a little softer and smoother with the GX. It's bigger which kinda gives it a softer ride on long trips. I've only used my 4R in one out-of-town trip so I haven't really noticed if it's rough, truckish ride but they're pretty much similar.

Any more questions??? :)

I believe all 4runner Sport Edition comes with the XRES. I test drove one of those a year ago, unlike KDSS, the ride is rougher. You will find the ride in the GX much softer than the Sport Edition. The GX is much quieter and more comfortable. Of course the soft ride on the GX means that it will not handle as well as the Sport Edition, unless you get the KDSS. Not sure if care about handling at all.

I believe all 4runner Sport Edition comes with the XRES. I test drove one of those a year ago, unlike KDSS, the ride is rougher. You will find the ride in the GX much softer than the Sport Edition. The GX is much quieter and more comfortable. Of course the soft ride on the GX means that it will not handle as well as the Sport Edition, unless you get the KDSS. Not sure if care about handling at all.

Well see that's why I'm asking. I wasn't too sure if the older 4th gen 4Runners have XREAS on all SE models.

Anyways, comparing the ride of a 4Runner w/o XREAS, I'd say it's about, or very close to the ride of the GX. ;)

Well see that's why I'm asking. I wasn't too sure if the older 4th gen 4Runners have XREAS on all SE models.

Anyways, comparing the ride of a 4Runner w/o XREAS, I'd say it's about, or very close to the ride of the GX. ;)

Sounds like I may as well save $$$ and get a new 4_Runner if the rides are similar.

Sounds like I may as well save $$$ and get a new 4_Runner if the rides are similar.

You're call. As I said, I'm not familiar with the X-REAS ride so it's up to you but all I can say is that the GX and 4Runner (w/0 X-REAS) seem to have a similar ride feel.

Personally the 4Runner feels more handy to drive around town too. It may be cramped for a guy like me, but the feeling of it feels a little more handy especially if you're mainly an in-town driver.

Plus I never mentioned, there are small differences you have to get used to with the GX. First, this one's a biggy to a lot of people, but the side openning rear door. I dont know if that's a problem with you, but that could be one reason why you would opt to get a new 4R instead of a GX. But there are a lot of features the GX has that not even the loaded LTD 4Runner has (real wood grain, reverse tilt side mirrors,auto tilt & telescopic steering wheel, etc.)

Btw since you mentioned you had a V8 4WD SE, it doesn't by any chance, have the clunk issue, does it? I've heard from the 4Runner forums that the V8 4WD 4Runner starting from 03-some 06s still have the clunk. The V8 4Wd setup of the GX and 4Runner are similar so that's why both vehicles had it during the same time period when Toyota/Lexus were still trying to find a fix for it.

You mentioned that you been driving the 4runner for 6 years, so you drive the 2nd generation 4runner? The ride between a GX and a 2nd generation 4runner sports is like night and day.

You mentioned that you been driving the 4runner for 6 years, so you drive the 2nd generation 4runner? The ride between a GX and a 2nd generation 4runner sports is like night and day.

It's a 4th Gen, he mentioned 2004 SE. Secondly, yes 4Runner SE w/XREAS is different from a 4Runner w/o X-REAS. As I said, the 4Runner like mine W/O X-REAS rides similarly to a GX. Maybe he had a third gen then traded for a 4th gen 4Runner so that might explain the 6 years