Ls430 Replacement Windshield

JDK

Has anyone had to replace a windshield?

Semi threw a rock into my windshield and put a small 3/4" crack lower middle center. I'm sure it will start to spread eventually and my P&C agent told me I could either get it repaired (not!) or replaced for free, no deductable. I told the local glass shop I'd prefer OEM because of the rain sensor and they explained that there are probably only 3-4 companies that make windshields and after-market or OEM should work the same. My insurance company will only pay for the after-market so if I want OEM it will cost me $500-$600 out of pocket. Any suggestions?

post-38477-1175221749_thumb.jpg

In most states it is illegal for your insurance company to refuse to pay for OEM parts when your vehicle is less than 7 model years old. Push them, they have no choice if you want OEM glass. Who is your insurance carrier? Threaten to file a complaint with the insurance commission.

I would DEFINATELY get OEM glass.

If it's not in line of sight, i'd have it repaired quickly to prevent it expanding further. Murphy's law says as soon as you replace it, another rock will find your windshield. I know you want it pristine, but you may be buying a lot of windshields with the way rocks seem to jump off the road - and they are especially attracted to "virgin" windshields. ;)

Thanks for the replies!

As it worked out I was going to have to pay $1100 out of pocket for OEM so we are going to do the repair for now because the location shouldn't bother me (except for knowing that it's there). If it doesn't hold I'll go after the OEM but as a side note, I'm a fianancial planner and the VP of the insurance company is my client so seeing my name on a law suit would probably be a bad thing!

The local glass company is concerned that anytime you break a factory seal, the replacement (OEM or not) may not be as quiet as it was before so that is something to consider.

I'll let you know how the repair turns out.

I understand your situation per filing a lawsuit and your client -

but if you find out what the State Law is, as SW03ES sez -

you can politely "point out the error of their ways" to the agent/claims adjuster without involving your client -

some laws / companies actually MAKE you use real rather than generic parts, or they won't pay -

not sure if it's a law or company policy -

also -

some states have a State Regulatory Agency for complaints with Insurance companies -

the one time I used them, I was young and it was obvious that it was a rig job, but I have used other Stste Agencies since then and have had VERY good luck with them - the Insurance experience mighta been a fluke -

anyway -

there is usually a toll-free number -

so -

it's FREE -

give it a shot -

$1,100 is worth a few phone calls to ME -

esp. since SOME insurance companies will go to great lengths ta avoid paying out -

I'm with a good company now!! (State Farm - shameless plu!)

~T~

Thanks for the replies!

The local glass company is concerned that anytime you break a factory seal, the replacement (OEM or not) may not be as quiet as it was before so that is something to consider.

I'll let you know how the repair turns out.

I agree with you on the factory installation part. I have seen plenty of replacement windshields poorly installed. You can pay for the best glass made, but you are still faced with the huge variation in skill level of the installers. That's more of a crap shoot than the glass maker for sure.

Repair it and forget about it.

Just curious...............are the non oem's coated ? As the 430 glass is. I love the coated glass as rain just sweeps off of it and I'm sure makes it quieter. Could be the price difference they won't pay and should, because it is a part of the original invoice.

I'm not sure if it's coated or not, when I spoke with the Lexus parts mgr he was only concerned with the rain sensor still working, never mentioned anything else. The rain sensor is a box on the inside so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

My brother is a mgr at the glass repair/replacement company so I'm not worried about a shoddy job and it was the owners wife that was worried about not being able to get a seal as good as the factory. I have a "business" appointment with the owner on Thursday so they are going to pull it inside and take their time on the repair. Her idea was to try the repair and see how it works out and if I'm satisfied, if not we can go after the replacement windshield. I Googled the chip repair and found a site that showed an animation of the epoxy injection. That site even mentioned the problem with breaking a factory seal and not being able to duplicate it with new molding.

Take your time and find a good glass shop, the one the dealer refers business to or your insurance company is probably a good bet.

I have had direct experience with windshield replacements on the Lexus LS 4 times, each time the interior noise levels have remained precisely the same.

As a personal experience...I had a chip and repaired it..came out okay..a month later another about a 1/4 inch from the first..repaired okay...3 month's later another passenger side and decided to repair again since I seem to be a "rock magnet". I would hate to think how I would feel if each time I replaced the windshield. LOL.... Anyways, my point is go ahead and have it filled..if you get another chip then you made a good decision. It seems as if our roadways are getting worse and enforcement on trucks is getting slack..So have the fill repair done and worry about road trash taking out you laser mounted cruise like I did... :censored: $2400...never had it fixed and just use regular cruise. By the way, These incidents happened on roads from Louisiana to Florida.

Well I took my car in on Thursday and had the windshield repaired. Since the spot is in the lower center, it actually almost disappears looking into the hood, and not in my direct line of site this may work out well if it doesn't get any worse.

I did find out that the new '07 ES (and maybe others) have a sound deadening film sandwiched in the windshield just in case any of you run into a problem with it's windshield, just be careful if you have to go with an after-market and not OEM.

• 4 months later...
Take your time and find a good glass shop, the one the dealer refers business to or your insurance company is probably a good bet.

I have had direct experience with windshield replacements on the Lexus LS 4 times, each time the interior noise levels have remained precisely the same.

I need my windshield replaced. I asked the company to order ppg for the front windshield for a 2001 ls 430 ultra. she says she can not get it and she was only able to get LOF. Are they comparable windshields in quality?

• 2 months later...
Well I took my car in on Thursday and had the windshield repaired. Since the spot is in the lower center, it actually almost disappears looking into the hood, and not in my direct line of site this may work out well if it doesn't get any worse.

I did find out that the new '07 ES (and maybe others) have a sound deadening film sandwiched in the windshield just in case any of you run into a problem with it's windshield, just be careful if you have to go with an after-market and not OEM.

I priced the Lexus vs. aftermarket glass for my 04 LS430 and began to assume that all aftermarket glass must be inferior, but I decided to research the specs for the glass. A glass engineer from PPG told me that Lexus does not share the specs for its glass with aftermarket providers and that they had to reverse engineer the glass for my car. Glass places including the ones recommended by my Lexus dealer were no help although both of them seemed to think the aftermarket glass was very comparable. However, I have read the forum entries like we probably all have about wavy glass.

Finally, I ran across an old friend who had been running a glass business in Houston who spent a great deal of their focus on windshield replacement and he told me that Pilkington was the manufacturer of Lexus glass and that their aftermarket product for my car was identical. He said it was very common that aftermarket Pilkington glass also had the Lexus stamp etched on it. Based upon his comments, I expressly ordered Pilkington from one of my Lexus dealer recommended installers. They seemed a bit surprised that I knew to order Pilkington (which they also referred to as LOF). They did confirm that Pilkington supplies Lexus and that their aftermarket glass for Lexas often have the Lexas etching on it, but mine did not. My windshield is as clear any of the brand new Lexus windshields I have owned and all for $210 installed.

At the comparable price of the Lexus glass installed here in Dallas TX, I can have 6 more LOFs installed. I figured it was worth the gamble once I had two sources saying the same thing. Now that I see the clarity and the tint match I am sold. I also have the auto sensing wipers and that all works fine.

Pilkington and LOF are now the same company...i can't remember who bought who. the glass company i use in my shop carries Pilkington and PPG. i've never had a problem with either of them.

i still find it funny that people actually think lexus (or any other auto manufacturer) produces things like glass and paint. PPG, Pilkington, Dupont etc didn't get so sucessful just selling to aftermarket or by creating inferior products.

The LS does too and has since 1998.

To the last poster, if the shop did "OEM" glass and only charged you $250 it was not OEM.

• 3 weeks later...
If it's not in line of sight, i'd have it repaired quickly to prevent it expanding further. Murphy's law says as soon as you replace it, another rock will find your windshield. I know you want it pristine, but you may be buying a lot of windshields with the way rocks seem to jump off the road - and they are especially attracted to "virgin" windshields. ;)

I agree whole-heartedly! I would try and get it fixed immediately, and I sure think you should hold out for the kind of glass you really want. You pay a lot of money to keep your vehicle in the condition you desire, so the insurance companies should support you if you want a certain kind of glass. Another thing it that you may be able to get help by trying a different company altogether. Some windshield places might more readily work with your particular insurance plan. http://www.used-car-resource.com for more information.

I changed front windshield for my 02 Ls430 2 years ago with PPG glass for less than $200 in front of my house. It had the rains sensor and the tint and you cannot tell from OEM.

I did not notice more wind noise and the tint is exactly the same. I just could not justify paying Lexus dealer $1200 for similar product.

My aunts windshield on her 1990 LS400 got hit by a stone on the road about 11 years ago. The car was not that old then. She had it "repaired" upon her insurance companies recommendation... she did and the next morning, it was cracked all the way across! The replaced it then of course. :)