Water Pump: What To Do?

teamer

I recently bought a 90 LS with 108k miles. Previous owner claims that timing belt was changed. I am guessing that the water pump was replaced as well. There are no service records for these items. Is there a way to physically check if the parts are newer or replaced? I know I can probably get away with the timing belt - if it broke, but the water pump is something I do not want to take a chance.

Are there any indications (symptoms) that a water pump might fail or is getting close to that point?

Thanks!

-David

Timing belt usually comes with a decal that is meant to be placed in engine compartment to record mileage at time of change. Check around the strut tower.

You can see some of the timing belt if you remove distributor cover. SHould have been replaced around 90K so you'd be good for another 100+k.

No way to know about the water pump without receipt unless services were done at dealership - in that case you can ask any Lexus dealer to pull the service history. Replaced my water pump at 210K cause it was leaking. It's a pretty simple part so unless the impellers break, a leak around the front of the engine would probably be the first indication it was going bad.

PS. I bought my 91 with about the same miles - been a great car.

• 1 year later...

Might it be possible for the dealer to look up the VIN and at least see any service that was done by Lexus dealers?

My '91 had a T-belt job at around 90k, but they did not replace the water pump. Done at a Lexus dealer, previous owner generally had them do everything they thought should be done. The water pump then failed at 122k, resulting in another T-belt.

So, if you can verify a T-belt change, but no water pump, keep an eye on it and be prepared.

The water pump will start to leak a little as it wears out. Mine leaked about a cup of coolant a week for the few months it took me to get up the nerve to do the pump and timing belt along with getting to my vacation week so I would not be rushed. I could have probably gone another six months without trouble if I had to have IMO. I just kept topping it off with distilled water each weekend when I washed it and it never overheated or gave me any problems.

the water pump should have a stamp on it with two numbers indicating when the pump was produced. my old one said "98" when the 90k service was done and the new one says "06". the numbers will have a circle around them. if the new one i within one year of the timing belt then you should be fine. if not then change it.