Hid Kit Installation Question

UncleOOPS

I just finished installing an after-market HID kit into my 94 LS400. The kit went in pretty much flawlessly. I'm having difficulty locating a suitable location for the right light's ballast though. However, that's not why I'm posting.

After installing the kit I switched on the fog lights to discover that instead my high-beams turned on. This is throwing me for a real curve as I haven't seen it do this before, at least not with the old head lights.

The way the kit is wired in you leave the old headlight connector for the right side un-plugged. The system is only controlled through the left headlight plug. Do the Lexus cars have some weird back-up mode that if a head light is burned out and you turn on the fog lights, it instead gives you high beams?

I checked all my cable runs to make sure there wasn't a chance of interference from the fog light circuit exciting the HID high-beams. That I can tell this isn't happening.

Not a big problem seeing as I've probably used the fog lights two or three times in the 7 years I've owned the car. However, I just like to know that everything is working the way it should. :) I'm sort of OCD about leaving things broken, even if I never use them. :P

Sincerely,

Jonathan Stewart

I just finished installing an after-market HID kit into my 94 LS400. The kit went in pretty much flawlessly. I'm having difficulty locating a suitable location for the right light's ballast though. However, that's not why I'm posting.

After installing the kit I switched on the fog lights to discover that instead my high-beams turned on. This is throwing me for a real curve as I haven't seen it do this before, at least not with the old head lights.

The way the kit is wired in you leave the old headlight connector for the right side un-plugged. The system is only controlled through the left headlight plug. Do the Lexus cars have some weird back-up mode that if a head light is burned out and you turn on the fog lights, it instead gives you high beams?

I checked all my cable runs to make sure there wasn't a chance of interference from the fog light circuit exciting the HID high-beams. That I can tell this isn't happening.

Not a big problem seeing as I've probably used the fog lights two or three times in the 7 years I've owned the car. However, I just like to know that everything is working the way it should. :) I'm sort of OCD about leaving things broken, even if I never use them. :P

Sincerely,

Jonathan Stewart

Jonathan:

Got a schematic & a scanner?

If so, scan the schematic & post it. We'll take a look.

:D

Hmmmm.............actually, I don't think you will be able to post just yet because of your "new" status. Maybe an Admin can step in & help out?...........

Will scan the schematic. If I can't post the images directly, I can upload them to my site and post a link.

BTW, something I just thought to go check was the High-Beam indicator. When the fog lights turn on and activate the High-Beams, the blue High-Beam indicator is off, until I actually turn on the High-Beams.

Yeah. Sorry I haven't gotten any of the information to you guys. Been real busy with college. I'll try to remember to go snap some pictures tonight for you OmarG. I bought them off of eBay through a "reputable" distributor. Price was right around average. As far as them being too blinding to others, I haven't seen any indications of that. My roommates said the lights are brighter, but not blinding to them.

Yeah. Sorry I haven't gotten any of the information to you guys. Been real busy with college. I'll try to remember to go snap some pictures tonight for you OmarG. I bought them off of eBay through a "reputable" distributor. Price was right around average. As far as them being too blinding to others, I haven't seen any indications of that. My roommates said the lights are brighter, but not blinding to them.

I'm assuming you've lost High-beam functionality since it's a 9004 replacement, or are these the ones that claim to "arc" the pattern to high beam?