Tranmission Fluild Amount

Thi

I just drain and fill the transmission fluild on my LX 450. The service manual states that it takes 2.1 qts when drain and refill. I put in 2.5 qts, but it's way below the cold level. I drove it and rechecked, but it's at or little below the cold level when the fluid is hot. I put in the rest of the 3rd qt and it's still not at the full level. Does anyone experience the same symptom?

Thi

I think the transmission fluid has to be checked with the engine running and in neutral, check your manual for the correct procedure. The trans fliud volume is important but the level on the dipstick is the recommended way to determine the fluid level.

Regards

David

Thanks for the info. The thing that concerns me is that the service manual and user manual specify 2.1 qts for "drain and refill". Could it be the info in the manual is incorrect? I also check in the Alldata system.

By the way, I use Mobil 1 synthetic transmission oil.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting ready to change mine out at the next oil change, and also notice the discrepancy in the repair manual.. odd.

Thi- any reasons for upgrading to the synthetic? Manual calls for Dexron II or III.

Also, anyone aware of any difference between the Valvoline, Pensoil or Proline Dexron III products?

Thanks,

Rookie

Rookie,

With synthetic oil, I thought that it would have better viscosity to withstand the extreme temperature hot/cold. In addition, I don't have to change the oil as often.

Just saw a show on TV about the Ferrari Munzo (spell?), it uses a special formulated Shell oil that costs $60/quart .... ouch. The oil change would cost around $700. They said that the manufacturer will void the warranty if not using the particular oil. Well, the car costs $600,000+ and can go from 0-60 in 3+ seconds.

Thi

Thi,

Since you replaced the new oil with synthetic, I suggest you to do flush instead than just drain the old one out, it's not good to have a mixed in there. To get the job done right, you need to have a machine that can do a flushing job. The reason that you are not sure, how much oil need to be filled up because you didn't get all the old one out from a draining.

One more thing to keep in mind, if you have more transfuild that it should be, you will damage your transmittion in the future another word is called "flood"

How to know your transmittion oil is new after replacing new one, the fluid should be "pink" as virgin. After 1000 miles drive should still be PINK.... I REALLY MEANT PINK!!!!