Replace Negative Battery Cable? 1997 Ls400

bensisco

Hi. I hope someone can help me with some good advice. I am seeking information on how to replace the negative battery cable on a 1997 LS 400. The cable has corrosion going through it.

Twice I had to get a jump when the weather was in the low 20s. So, I had the battery and alternator tested both times and both tested good each time. Finally, a gentleman at an auto parts store took his pocketknife and cut into my seemingly normal looking negative cable and that’s when we noticed the white powdery corrosion traveling through the cable. I removed the battery and battery compartment (in the auto parts store parking lot) but stopped when I saw that the negative cable eventually is taped to several other cables and the end of the negative cable is not visible. As a temporary fix, I replaced the negative battery cable terminal end and the car cranks reliably, but could run a little better.

So, if you have any experience with replacing the negative cable in a 1997 LS400 I would appreciate any advice. I could cut the tape (that’s wrapping the negative cable to several other cables underneath the battery compartment) and try tracing the negative cable further; but I don’t want to waste my time if the cable ultimately travels into a wiring harness or is not replaceable. I read one post that talked about a negative cable connecting to the frame near the oil filter, but that poster didn’t say which Lexus model (it’s night time and I haven’t been able to go outside to see if my negative cable ends in a similar location). Can the LS400 negative cable be replaced with a regular auto parts store negative cable? Is there a diagram somewhere or is this a simple enough task where one could be talked through it and just do it? Thanks if you can help or even if you just took the time to read this. :)

How bad is the corrosion? Is it just on the part that mates to the battery?

Hi, 92Lex,

When the guy at Auto Zone cut into the cable, the corrosion appeared to travel down the inside of the cable. If I remember correctly, he cut about an inch or less away from the end of the terminal.

I called a Lexus dealership this morning (in Florida since they offered Saturday service) and they informed me that the negative battery cable on the LS400 feeds into a wiring harness. The Lexus parts person said he estimated the harness costs about $800 (without looking it up). The Lexus parts guy also said this was not an uncommon problem and suggested splicing the negative cable further down pass the corrosion and creating a bridge between the old cable still attached to the wiring harness and a new cable purchased from a parts store using a “block.” I noticed that many of the websites for stores like Auto Zone and Advanced Auto Parts offered a special order splice kit for the car (but no pictures). So, apparently, that is the way the aftermarket parts stores handle this type of problem.

I drove the car today and it drove great. Yesterday I was tidying the trunk and forgot the car was still running because it was so quiet. So, it’s not the worst problem at this point. I’ve been told by several people that the problems I’m starting to have with the car are stemming from not driving the car very often. I probably drive it 12 miles roundtrip to the store every 7 or 8 days (I typically work from home). So, I should probably start at least cranking it up every couple of days. I’ll try doing the cable splice if the problem gets any worst. For now, the new battery terminal end seems to have solved the immediate problem of cold weather starts. I’m definitely going to try to avoid paying the dealership $800 plus labor (even the Lexus parts guy warned against that).

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

They actually sell small packs of terminal lube for a couple of dollars at most auto part stores. But yeah, I guess a thin coat of petroleum jelly would also work.

Thanks, I was just wondering why their was a jar of that stuff in my friends toolbox... i believed him but sometimes you just don't know.