Standard Audio Vs Ml?

I'm looking around at 460s again and was wondering if any of you guys had the opportunity to compare the standard audio for the ML? Of course the ML is far superior, but how is the quality of the stock system? I ask because to get the ML on the SWB model neccessitates adding $7k in options I wouldn't want which makes it nearly $250 more per month to lease. Thats a lot for a stereo...

I'm looking around at 460s again and was wondering if any of you guys had the opportunity to compare the standard audio for the ML? Of course the ML is far superior, but how is the quality of the stock system? I ask because to get the ML on the SWB model neccessitates adding $7k in options I wouldn't want which makes it nearly $250 more per month to lease. Thats a lot for a stereo...

Looking on MSN Autos there is an ML/Nav package (looks like the old Nav/Lev package, code NL) that lists for about $5600, is that the one you were talking about? Unfortunately the ML system doesn't seem to be a stand alone option anymore.

I'm sure the standard system is fine; with 10 speakers I would guess you get single range drivers in each of the 3 dash positions; a subwoofer; and 2 drivers in each rear door and a driver in each front door. The ML system probably has better imaging and more linear response based on the greater number of drivers and possibly better materials (I believe that some of them are metal) and better crossovers; also the DSP processing is probably ML proprietary. The ML system also gives you more formats (DVD-A/V, MP3/WMA etc), XM and surround sound capability.

I'm guessing you will probably have to special order a car to get it without the ML system...so that may or may not give the dealer incentive to try to get you to take something they have in inventory (assuming they have any sitting around) or in their allocation.

My advice to you is to shop for the LS like a fine pair of stereo speakers. Take a couple of fairly well-mastered CDs that you really like and know well; choose the music you listen to most often. If you choose to burn a custom CD use good quality media, rip the songs either in uncompressed .wav or apple lossless compression, and then burn it at 1 or 2x.

If you can find the cars at the same lot with and without the ML listen to them one after another, listen to them again (while driving if possible), and decide for yourself (and of course let us know what you think).

:cheers:

You've got to look at lexus.com, they show you what configurations they actually ship to dealers depending on your region. The only way to get the ML on the LS460 is to order it with the $12,000 executive package which includes the park assist, the power rear seats, etc. Like the old Ultra Luxury package. They no longer sell a "nav/lev" car, they sell the nav system in a $6k package that includes all the stuff I'd want, just no ML. That car stickers at just over $67k while the car with the ML is $73k. Actually, I'd probably have to special order the car TO GET the ML, at least in my region. The 67k nav car is common.

Naa...if I'm not gonna get the ML I don't want to ever hear it lol

well, the ML's on those vehicles didnt make much of a difference because it added like 2 more speakers and other things that an audiofile could not tell the difference.

The ML on this vehicle is 9 more speakers...thats quite a lot more.

You've got to look at lexus.com, they show you what configurations they actually ship to dealers depending on your region. The only way to get the ML on the LS460 is to order it with the $12,000 executive package which includes the park assist, the power rear seats, etc. Like the old Ultra Luxury package. They no longer sell a "nav/lev" car, they sell the nav system in a $6k package that includes all the stuff I'd want, just no ML. That car stickers at just over $67k while the car with the ML is $73k. Actually, I'd probably have to special order the car TO GET the ML, at least in my region. The 67k nav car is common.

Naa...if I'm not gonna get the ML I don't want to ever hear it lol

Yeah they seem to 'front load' a lot of the more optioned cars into the allocation pool early; I remember something like 30% of the LS430s when they first arrived were the UL model.

I put in zip codes for both NY and LA and i got the same 2 price points you got for the 460 SWB, however I put in Coral Gables FL (33133) and was presented with:

Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package with Additional Options $7,435.00

Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package includes:

- Lexus voice-activated HDD Navigation System with backup camera

- Bluetooth® technology

- XM® Satellite Radio and Real-Time Traffic capability

- Mark Levinson® 19-speaker 450-watt @ 0.1% THD 20-20,000 Hz; Reference Surround Sound Audio System with Hard Disk Drive, 7.1 architecture and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc DVD/CD auto-changer featuring DVD-audio and DVD-video playback

Additional Options:

- Comfort Package

- Intuitive Parking Assist

So they still get you for a couple other options but much better than $11k.

The car priced out at $69,150.00; they suggested Lexus of Kendall (which is actually just south of Coral Gables). There is also a HUGE new dealership i think in Homestead or somewhere nearby. Maybe you can get someone to do a dealer trade? Or you can always just do the deal over the phone and have them drop-ship the car to you--that destination charge covers any destination in the US.

I would probably fly down and drive back myself...going up I-95 is actually quite a nice way to spend a weekend. It took me about 18 hours the last time I did it (from DC to Miami).

Good luck! What color are you thinking?

Oh I can tell the difference in the ML in mine vs the standard in other ES'. Since the ML came in an option package I wanted, the navigation package I was happy to pay for it. Same with the new ES, I'd be happy to pay the extra $3k for the UL package to get the ML. With the LS460 though, not only does it increase the cost of the car $7k, it puts it in a different lease class by increasing the payment nearly $200, and its paired with stuff I don't really care about like the power rear seats and rear seat controls and the automatic parking.

jainla, see, I would do that package in a second, whats another $1600? I wonder if they could source me a car spec'd from Florida? I'd definately do the fly down to FL and the drive back, only drawback is it'll be a lease and thats, what, 1000 miles from here? I'd be better off having it shipped as a dealer exchange.

As far as colors, it'll be silver with either a black interior or the grey interior. I'd love to do the smokey granite but one of my goals next time will be to get into an exterior color that stays cleaner longer and requires less careful washing than what I have now. I love black interiors, but I really like the grey wood in the 460's grey interior. It'll probably be silver/black though. I have plenty of time to plan, I'm going to do this in August probably. Might even wait until early September and get an 08, depends on how the lease residuals pan out.

I'm actually thinking I might keep my ES too.

jainla, see, I would do that package in a second, whats another $1600? I wonder if they could source me a car spec'd from Florida? I'd definately do the fly down to FL and the drive back, only drawback is it'll be a lease and thats, what, 1000 miles from here? I'd be better off having it shipped as a dealer exchange.

I don't see why not; if they want the business and they know you are willing to wait. When I lived in PA my mom had a dealer ship a car from Washington DC in the color she wanted. Maybe you can try some dealerships in Atlanta or Savannah. That's a little closer; or just do the deal direct with the dealer and have them drop ship it--my friend's parents bought a car from a dealer in Michigan and had it drop shipped to Hawaii (they live in New York).

As far as colors, it'll be silver with either a black interior or the grey interior. I'd love to do the smokey granite but one of my goals next time will be to get into an exterior color that stays cleaner longer and requires less careful washing than what I have now. I love black interiors, but I really like the grey wood in the 460's grey interior.

The grey interior and wood is quite nice; the overall effect is more like marble than wood. It's exactly the same color/effect as the 01-03 grey UL LS430s. I have silver on black and I love it; but it does get hot if it sits in the sun (despite all those shades). Also a dealer told me it's the most sought-after color combo for the LS so it may be harder to find.

I'm going to do this in August probably. Might even wait until early September and get an 08, depends on how the lease residuals pan out.

They may also offer the ML as a standalone option for '08 if enough people ask; maybe some dealer will want to move an '07 and give you a deal (if there's any left). In the second and 3rd years more stuff seems to be available as standalone options.

I'm actually thinking I might keep my ES too.

Why not?. If it doesn't cost anything I would. Use it as the guest car.

I still drive my old Mercedes to work once a week; and to the grocery store and gym. I feel better parking it in tight spaces...the LS is a BEAST to park in those compact spots. :) I can only imagine the even larger 460 is a tighter fit.

My dad's first LS was silver with black, and mine is garnet with black, the silver makes it a little cooler lol. Anyways its parked inside 80% of the time anyways.

I still haven't even driven one LOL, if I do I know it'll come home with me.

I still haven't even driven one LOL, if I do I know it'll come home with me.

Smart man...so far my only exposure was TOL..with NO sales people.

Also I think Lexus/Toyota have special lease/finance deals at the end of the summer. I will have to remember to schedule my service apts to NOT coincide with that time :).

I'm still curious to drive the hybrid...it's WAY too much money for me right now but it has a certain *it* factor.

You're right, they might. The Lexus year end sales event.

I'm interested in these one pay leases they have now. I'd have to talk to my accountant and make sure it wouldn't impact my ability to deduct the lease over the term, but the thought of paying $30,000 for a 36 month lease that otherwise would have cost $39,000 is pretty attractive.

Eh, I don't know about the hybrid. I drove the 400h and while I liked it a lot (very smooth) the CVT makes the engine drone a little on the highway. Not sure if the LS would be the same way.