Ipod Hookup - 96ls

Harky

FWIW...I know that this topic has been covered before, but I found those threads a little lacking in detail. After reading a few threads in various forums, I thought what the heck, I'll just give it a try and see what happens.

Well, I'm happy to report that with just a little effort, I have a hard wired connection for my iPod that just BLOWS AWAY the sound that I had before with FM transmitters and cassette tape adapters.

It took me about 45 minutes work to do it and it's not difficult if you know the "secrets".

Popping the trim off was easy. I used a clean flat blade screwdriver just behind the shift quadrant to pop off the lower wood trim. Disconnected the ash tray power.

Same for the vents above the A/C controls. It just pops out. Disconnect the 2 display plugs.

The Radio & A/C controls are mounted on a common bracket attached with 4-10mm bolts and 1 "security" screw. Pull it out a little and pop the 4 connectors on top for the A/C module. (They are staggered so it's easy to get them back where they belong.) This will allow the radio stack to be manipulated to expose the CD input connector on the radio. It's the only connector that I touched because I was not sure of what kind of security feature the radio had if I pulled off the power connectors.

The CD input connector is a small 5 pin connector on the far right side of the radio (easiest to reach). I pulled the plug out and cut the wiring going to the CD changer leaving about 2" of wiring attached to the plug.

I used an available 1/8" stereo mini plug - to - RCA patch cable that I had and connected it to the CD connector plug. I cut off the RCA plugs and stripped the ends back a little.

I wired the R (red) and L (white) signal wires of the patch cable to the red and black wires of the CD connector. I connected the R and L shields to the white and green wires. No connection is made to the brown wire. I soldered these connections because it can be easily undone if necessary. I insulated the connections and loose ends with tape and plugged it into the radio. I ran the iPod cable out the lower right side of the the radio stack. I popped every thing back together and it works like a charm. I keep the ipod cable coiled in the ashtray when not in use and the iPod rides in the ashtray holder when I'm using it (I pulled the metal ashtray out leaving the plastic holder.)

I know that the CD does not play back. It runs and it displays as though it's running, but no sound comes out until the iPod is plugged in with the cable. The iPod volume needs to be up all the way to match the radio volume. I figured loosing the CD changer is no big sacrifice because I have much more music on the ipod. Now I just need to figure a way to keep it charged.

It's crude because I need to run the ipod separately. It's not automatic on and off like it was docked. (I'm working on that fix.) ...but for the effort and cost...it was WORTH IT!!

Way to go! I've been reading and trying to figure how to do this as well, and may have a few things to maybe help improve on your set-up.

As SKperformance suggested you should deffinitely put a switch to toggle between your iPod and CD and have both.

Below is what I'm planning on using. As you can see you have power lead to charge the iPod, L&R audio and even video if needed. I thnk you may also get better sound output from the dock instead of the mic and not have to worry about turning volume to max on the iPod. There are many out there similar to this, but this pic is from http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm. It's only like $30.

Let me know what you think.

iPodAVDoc1.jpg

Way to go! I've been reading and trying to figure how to do this as well, and may have a few things to maybe help improve on your set-up.

As SKperformance suggested you should deffinitely put a switch to toggle between your iPod and CD and have both.

Below is what I'm planning on using. As you can see you have power lead to charge the iPod, L&R audio and even video if needed. I thnk you may also get better sound output from the dock instead of the mic and not have to worry about turning volume to max on the iPod. There are many out there similar to this, but this pic is from http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm. It's only like $30.

Let me know what you think.

iPodAVDoc1.jpg

Thanks, Miami...

A docking connector set-up was what I really wanted to do. I had an extra docking-to-firewire cable and I thought I could make it work. I found pin out details on-line and bench tested the connections but could not get my iPod to work properly. That's when I switched to the 1/8" mini plug approach...I know those connections are simple and it was a way to easily verify the connections in the car radio, input levels, audio quality ,etc.

For $30, I think I'll go with your cable.

How did you make the 12v power connection? At the radio? Did you have any security issues with the radio by disconnecting the main plug? I don't know what kind of anti-theft feature this radio uses... In my 96 Accord, you need to punch in a special code to restore operation after a power outage like a battery change or plug disconnect...

I may consider the iPod/CD switch later. At this point, I'd rather listen to the iPod than a CD.

Thanks again for the suggestions and your earlier posts on this topic.

BTW...one of the details that was spooking me about this installation was whether it was OK to run 12V straight into the iPod. I found out that my iPod is OK with a range of input voltages from 5vdc up to 30vdc. Mine is a gen 3 click wheel and the input requirements are printed on the back of the case. I don't know about other generation units, but I would expect that it would be printed on them as well.

I haven't actually done the iPod mod yet. I'm doing the research and watching pioneers like yourself first.

I'm going to go with a 'home' docking station and hide it and convert it for my car. They have some really good ones with remotes with a full display LCD, not just artist, song & track. I don't wany any wires, just a remote.

There's several docking stations that I'm looking at:

http://www.play-ewoo.com/

http://www.alive-style.com/remote.html

http://www.keyspan.com/products/TVI200C/

I think the keyspan is my last choice, quality reviews seem to be poor. I'm sure there are more and I am still researching.

I haven't actually done the iPod mod yet. I'm doing the research and watching pioneers like yourself first.

I'm going to go with a 'home' docking station and hide it and convert it for my car. They have some really good ones with remotes with a full display LCD, not just artist, song & track. I don't wany any wires, just a remote.

There's several docking stations that I'm looking at:

http://www.play-ewoo.com/

http://www.alive-style.com/remote.html

http://www.keyspan.com/products/TVI200C/

I think the keyspan is my last choice, quality reviews seem to be poor. I'm sure there are more and I am still researching.

That's pretty cool technology! Although I'm not sure that these products would enhance a car audio installation where the ipod is at your fingertips anyway. My wife is usually the music director on long trips and it's easy for her to diddle the iPod. I find it distracting to do anything other than advance a track when I'm driving as the click wheel is tricky for me to scroll with one hand.

It would be way cool to get iPod info up on the car radio display, but I know that a H/U change is necessary for that and I don't wanna go there yet..

Yeah, you're right. I tend to go overboard when it comes to the techy stuff. For most people I think the cable mentioned earlier is a great solution.

Theres also a tutorial form PureDrifter coming soon to show how to hook up the iPod to the stock head unit as well. We can all gather our facts from the different members that have succesfully gone down this road.

I just did the MP3 jack install this weekend, and installed switchgear to toggle between CD and MP3 player inside the center console. This way you don't have to burn a blank CD to play during your MP3 usage.

Works great, sounds great!

I just did the MP3 jack install this weekend, and installed switchgear to toggle between CD and MP3 player inside the center console. This way you don't have to burn a blank CD to play during your MP3 usage.

Works great, sounds great!

Did you make your radio connection with a docking cable or a 1/8" headphone cable??

Nevermind...I see from another thread that you used the headphone output.

I tried using a docking cable but could not get line level audio outputs on any of the wires. Must be a problem with the cable I had.

I'll go to my favorite electronics store an see if I can get a docking cable that has the audio outputs rather that the data outputs

• 1 year later...

I have a, new to me, '95 LS400 with Nak and want to add the IPod. Was willing to lose the cd changer but thinking this switch idea with the chargeable cable would be great.

Notice this thread is quite old now. So, what is current hot method for this procedure?

Loving this car. Feels like new. Going to run the sea foam or power foam through it soon. Right at 100k and about to do the timing belt, water pump, tune up but want to blow it out before new plugs go in.

Secondary question in what is good set of easy handling but quite tires? Michelins on it now but NEED replacing.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Mac

I saw on the Scosche website they may be developing an ipod kit for the 95-00 LS. Not sure what the capabilities will be or if it's any good but I know alot of people have been looking for a solution and it's the first I've heard of for the MKII LS. I think it said May '08?