93 Es300 With "modernized" Front Grille

Lexucan

Wow, that's a pretty dramatic effect! Looks good. I bet you are going to have people ask you, "Hey, was that an option?? I've never seen it before."

LOL....yep, she's one of a kind now. I've seen a few gen2 ES300s around here, one of which is usually parked in the same public parking lot where I park close to work. Ima have to keep an eye on that one and make sure the owner doesn't go and get the same thing done after seeing how classy mine looks! :chairshot:

I decided to update the look of my 1993 ES a bit by getting the front grille chrome-plated.

It took 4 days to get it done at a local plating shop and cost about $100

I'm pretty :) with the results.

grille1.jpg

grille3.jpg

Very nice :cheers: I also have a 93 es and was looking to do something with the front grille. I'll look into plating shops in my area. Again, VERY NICE UPGRADE ;)

Very nice :cheers: I also have a 93 es and was looking to do something with the front grille. I'll look into plating shops in my area. Again, VERY NICE UPGRADE ;)

Thanks for the comment.

You'll notice when you remove the grille (just six 8mm nuts) that there is a strip of plastic molding around it on 3 sides. It's attached with contact cement. I was able to peel it off carefully and save it. After the plating was done, I reglued the strip in place before remounting the grille to the hood.

Since I got it done, a few ppl have said I should paint the inner recessed part of the grille (the areas around the openings) either black or the body color. I guess it would make the openings look wider, but I dunno...I kinda like it the way it is. Seems pointless to go through the trouble and expense of getting the factory paint removed and having it chromed to turn around and paint over part of the chrome. What do you think?

Thanks for the comment.

You'll notice when you remove the grille (just six 8mm nuts) that there is a strip of plastic molding around it on 3 sides. It's attached with contact cement. I was able to peel it off carefully and save it. After the plating was done, I reglued the strip in place before remounting the grille to the hood.

Lexucan, The grille is plastic, Is there a specialty shop that did the plating ?

[Lexucan, The grille is plastic, Is there a specialty shop that did the plating ?

The grille isn't plastic on my car, it's made of pot metal.

OK, I will look into it, I haven't looked that close. Had you thought of just taking the paint off and polishing it ?

The grille is made of a tin type alloy to keep it from rusting. It is also impossible to weld on.

I am not really feeling the grille in that way ,maybe painting the insides will make it flow better but the way it looks right now it just sticks out like a sore thumb. If it was only the slots or just the surround it would look better in my style of things.

I am not really feeling the grille...it just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Then it's a good thing that it's on my car and not yours... :P (j/k)

All critiques are welcome. A few others have also suggested painting it, but after mulling it over, I don't think I will. I'll agree it does stand out when compared to the stock grille, but that's why I had it chromed...so it would look more distinctive.

• 2 years later...
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1104629883.html

Look at the pic of the es300 in the ad--nearly identical with the chrome grill and all!

Lexucan, is this your car for sale here in Denver??????

Hmmm....interesting.

It's not NEARLY identical, it IS identical, except the seller has listed it as having a tan interior. It's actually black.

That is my car, but not my listing.

I should take it as a compliment I guess, since the REAL car he is selling is undoubtedly not worth posting a picture of, so he stole a pic of my BEAUTIFUL ES instead! :rolleyes:

The buyer is going to have a hard time finding my car up here in Canada-ville. :P

this is my first post so bear w/ me. I like the grill, looks hot. i am basiclly writing cause i was extreemly happy that the 66 dollar relay fixed my problem w/ the dreadful blinking ac light...oh btw i am the new proud owner of a really nice 02 es 300 got it w/ 94500 and three weeks later i'm due for an oil change.. ya i drive it... ive been a tech for ten years or more and i know my way around a toyota but i do like to bounce ideas off of others for reinforcement.. hence my actuall question... i bought this car used and i am not sure of maint..schedule i will do the T belt w/ the waterpump finaly gets here on the 17th.. is there anything else i should address??i have the plugs and i am thinking of getting a plenum gasket cause that just looks like way to much blood and tears to change them back three w/o just pulling the plenum.... hey thanks for reading and or whatever..lol