2000 Es300 Transmission Fluid Location

amanda

someone (who drove an explorer) thought my vibration could be from tranmission fluid. he claims he had the same problem, poured some ATF and problem solved.

my problem, is, i can't find where the transmission fluid reservoir and the dipstick is on my car. a mechanic says that some newer cars have sealed tranmission that just gets replaced when it breaks. is this true? if not, where is that darn dipstick and reservoir?

also, the battery indicator is pointing somewhere between get-serviced and everything-fine. it's a little closer to get-serviced. is that ok?

while i am at it (to save from posting even more messages), the engine oil is a medium brown. is that ok too?

i sure wish that darn greenwich lexus dealer would get its computer system up. i definitely do not want to take the car into the city.

sorry i am so car ignorant and thank you.

the engine oil is a medium brown

It sounds like you need an oil & filter change! When you have new oil you can hardly see the oil level on the dipstick because it's very clear and transparent. ;)

the tranny dipstick: look for a brick red "T" pull handle. Mine has a safety clip on it that has to be slightly moved aside with your thumb before you can pull up the dipstick. It also has a blue mark on it to align when replacing. The spout that the dipstick comes out of is also where the tranny fluid goes in. If you check the tranny fluid, do it right. Car should be on level ground, warm to normal operating temperature, running and in P or N when you pull the stick. You can't just pull the dipstick out and look at it like you do oil after the car has been shut off. If you can't find it, I will snap a picture to show you.

It did note in my manual ('02) that if tranny fluid other than Toyota Type T-IV is not used in my car it may cause vibrations. The kind that yours requires should be printed on the stick and stated in the owners manual. I wonder if the previous owner had it flushed with the wrong kind. If you haven't had one, a tranny flush (not drain and fill) with the proper type may be something to look into.

As for the battery, if you have any concerns, take it to Autozone. I saw and add on TV where they are now offering free battery inspections and load testing. It goes along with a promo add for Optima Batteries.

As for the oil, it will turn dark over time and use. I just changed mine and it looked like it was supposed to. Like it needed changing. I think Alan meant to say, when it is new you can clearly see the level line on the dipstick, not "hardly".

When in doubt, change it out.

I am a firm believer that when you get a car (new to you) with miles on it, change out all the fluids if you don't have previous maintenance records that are accurate. This way you are starting at square one with all the fluids and it will be easier for you to track.

good luck amanda.

steviej

The automatic transmission fluid dipstick is located next to the battery. It should only be checked when the transaxle is at its normal operating temperature (hot). It is on a "J-shaped" piece of tubing. I am looking at page 1-10 and 1-11 in a Haynes Repair Manual for a Toyota Camry including the 2000 Lexus ES300.

Good luck.

alright, everyone. i am slowly but surely making progress on this vibration business.

i checked the tranmission fluid (thanks for all your help in helping me locate the darn dipstick).

it read about an inch above hot. is that a problem?

i can't be sure the transmission fluid is the correct type, though it looks and smells fine. but it does seem to read too high.