In Keeping With The Oil Filter...

I think Lexus should redesign the location of the oil filler cap and keep it within the same theme and parameters given to where they placed the oil filter. I would like to see the next generation of 400H Hybrid have the oil filler cap location inverted and placed underneath, tucked neatly on the other side of the manifold. I think it would make changing the oil filter as fun as trying to fill the crankcase with oil and having to deal with gravity. :chairshot:

MadloR

I agree with your sarcasm 100%.

I would love to continue to buy the 5-gallon container of Castrol anti-sludge formula 5W-30 oil, but try as I may, I could not pour without spillage, the oil from the large container into a filler funnel. You almost HAVE to buy quart containers to fill the crankcase cleanly.

Dave

I have come across a nifty device that allows you to poor motor oil without spilling or dripping into the Lexus RX 400H crankcase. It adapts to either the quart or 4.4quart containers. You basically screw it on, and it has a clear pvc tube that is about 18" long. You can invert the bottle of oil and no oil will come out, at the base of the bottle there is a twist left or twist right that either turns the flow output on or off. Very nice, I will try to find a picture of the device, or otherwise upload a digital picture.

Costs about $5-6 dollars. Worth every cent. Only con, it takes a while to transfer 4.4 quarts of oil in one shot (about 3 minutes).

Cheers,

MadloR

P.S. here you go... it is the item on the right (not packaged). Company is Flotool and the part no is 10106

gallery_36932_283_213369.jpg

• 4 months later...
BTW, where is the oil filter? I checked the owners manual and it doesn't mention any thing as far as location.

TIA, Nick

I had to search the internet to see where it is. In fact I marked the general location so that I know where to fish around with my hand - it's impossible to see without removing many of the screws that retain the plastic cover, under neath the front end. Once you remove the screws closest to the engine, you can pull the front of the cover far enough away to reach in and find the filter. Getting it off is another challenge, but I now use a K&N oil filter, which has a welded-on nut that you can turn with an adjustable wrench or large box-end wrench. Oil tends to drip all over the place and even after I clean up as best I can, I still see a drop or two on the garage floor for a week after the job is done.

Dave

BTW, where is the oil filter? I checked the owners manual and it doesn't mention any thing as far as location.

TIA, Nick

I had to search the internet to see where it is. In fact I marked the general location so that I know where to fish around with my hand - it's impossible to see without removing many of the screws that retain the plastic cover, under neath the front end. Once you remove the screws closest to the engine, you can pull the front of the cover far enough away to reach in and find the filter. Getting it off is another challenge, but I now use a K&N oil filter, which has a welded-on nut that you can turn with an adjustable wrench or large box-end wrench. Oil tends to drip all over the place and even after I clean up as best I can, I still see a drop or two on the garage floor for a week after the job is done.

Dave

Although you are working more by feel than by sight, I found it not that difficult to remove and install the filter from topside. Easier than my previous RX300. Just need the right length socket extenders.

riwyle

The only reason why I didn't try getting at the filter from the topside is that I would be more likely to burn my arm. You should always change oil when the oil is fairly hot - it drains much more easily than when cold.

Dave

The only reason why I didn't try getting at the filter from the topside is that I would be more likely to burn my arm. You should always change oil when the oil is fairly hot - it drains much more easily than when cold.

Dave

I know that is the conventional wisdom but years ago I ditched that method and drain it cold.

It takes a bit longer to drain out but it is worth it. Plus, if you heat up the oil much of it is

suspended in the engine for a while anyway.

I also pull the EFI fuse and crank the engine to fill the new oil filter before restarting.

I crank it till I see the oil light start to go out.

That gets oil pressue up near instantly and reduces cold start wear with an empty filter.

/Steve

Steve,

The oil filter is facing up (if I recall correctly), so filling it most of the way before installing it prevents a long pressure buildup upon startup. Also, I drive up my RX onto ramps, so even if my goal was to have all the oil in the pan, that cold oil would have to circulate through the engine when I drove up on the ramps. (The engine would start when cold, so hoping that the electric motor would power it up the ramps is futile.)

Hot oil not only drains much more easily, but it also gets to pressure much faster than cold oil. This is why most car magazine mechanics still recommend that the oil be at least warm when it is changed.

Dave