Which "gen" Navigation System Do I Have?

I have a 2000 LS400 Platinum Edition. How do I find out what "Gen" my navigation system is? Trying to update it without going through the dealership. I called the 1-800 Lexus line and they advised me to take it to the dealership.

Thanks for the help.

I have a 2000 LS400 Platinum Edition. How do I find out what "Gen" my navigation system is? Trying to update it without going through the dealership. I called the 1-800 Lexus line and they advised me to take it to the dealership.

Thanks for the help.

you have the first genration navigation system . it has a disc drive. the update goes for around 300.00 last time i checked. if the dealer has to install it for you the hourly charge would apply in addition. the disc drive has to be updated by denso so they are usually ordered FROM DENSO BY A DEALER AND THEN CORE DISC DRIVE SENT BACK TO DENSO. THEY ARE 900.00 WITHOUT EXCAHNGE.

Not worth the money to update for the hard drive based systems. They've stopped updating the hard drives. The most current data for the hard drive system is July 2004.

the 2004 map has 100% more data than the original 2000 wheras the 2006 map has only about 10% more new info than the 2004 map. when the 2000 lexus ls and gs had navigation not one toyota model did and only a few bmw acura mercedes had them . the amount of map data aDDED between 2000 and 2004 was huge. ALSO ALL THE NEW NAVIAGTION SYSTEMS IN JAPAN ARE GOING BACK TO DISC DRIVE and away from dvd MAPS so someday the table may be turned and disc drive update will be easier to get than the by then antique dvd maps.

Not worth the money to update for the hard drive based systems. They've stopped updating the hard drives. The most current data for the hard drive system is July 2004.

the 2004 map has 100% more data than the original 2000 wheras the 2006 map has only about 10% more new info than the 2004 map. when the 2000 lexus ls and gs had navigation not one toyota model did and only a few bmw acura mercedes had them . the amount of map data aDDED between 2000 and 2004 was huge. ALSO ALL THE NEW NAVIAGTION SYSTEMS IN JAPAN ARE GOING BACK TO DISC DRIVE and away from dvd MAPS so someday the table may be turned and disc drive update will be easier to get than the by then antique dvd maps.

I agree 100%

Yes the updates for the hard drive based system on the new LS460 will be easier as the updates will be downloaded at the dealership and there should be plenty of capacity for some time. Unfortunately the first generation has reached the limit of its technology. The system came out in 1998 and had a total capacity of 1.6GB. Current maps and updates are 2.0+ GB.

Maybe someday, the navigation system will be linked to the Lexus Link system so that the map resides on the network rather than in the car, like the way its done with Sprint and Verizon wireless.