2006 Gs300 Diy Oil Change Question

rrr

I have a 2006 GS300 RWD, and it's time for an oil change. I've always changed my own oil, but this car's filter looks very different. I understand it's a canister type of filter, but the replacement filter came with a plastic connector like thing to apparently drain the oil filter before removing it (?)

Does anyone have instructions on doing this? Is there a special tool involved? There is a cap on the filter that looks like it could unscrew, but looks like a special tool is needed to do it...

Any help appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I like the new filter setup, reminds me of a motorcycle filter. Just remove that little cap, find a hose for the plastic thing and you will drain the oil from the filter. See pictures.

post-3960-1177298817_thumb.jpg

post-3960-1177298909_thumb.jpg

what kind of tool do u use to pull the drain plug

are you talking about the drain plug in the oil pan? If so, a 14mm socket on a breaker bar works best.

if you are talking about the plastic drain thingy that you insert into the bottom of the oil filter canister, you push it to the side until it snaps. It will then fall off in two pieces. You get a new thingy with the new filter cartridge.

steviej

I like the new filter setup, reminds me of a motorcycle filter. Just remove that little cap, find a hose for the plastic thing and you will drain the oil from the filter. See pictures.

post-3960-1177298817_thumb.jpg

post-3960-1177298909_thumb.jpg

i im talking the one where u drain the oil from

i im talking the one where u drain the oil from

Dave, you still have not answered my question. You have to drain the oil from TWO places, so here is a quick procedure.

First: There is a plug in the bottom of the oil pan, that must come out and over 6 qts or oil will drain into your collection pan. This takes a 14mm or 17mm socket to remove it (I forgot which at the moment). Be sure to reinstall the plug with a new crush washer before putting in the new oil. The old crush washer can be reused successfully a couple of times if you don't have a new one.

Second: You should drain the oil from the oil cartridge cannister before dropping the cannister to replace the actual cartridge. Use a socket on the small molded nut at the end of the cannister. Remove the end cap and discard the old O-ring. Toyota and aftermarket filters come with new O-rings. There is a plastic hose adapter that comes with the new fitler. Attach a short length of old garden hose to it and then shove the other end of the plastic adapter into the now open recepticle at the bottom of the oil filter cannister. There is a spring loaded valve that this plastic spout pushes open. The small quantitiy of oil in remaining in the cannister will now drain out. Once this is done, just push the plastic spout to the side. It will snap and break, thus falling out of the hole. Put the new O-ring on the end cap and screw it back in, tighten with socker. Be careful, not too tight as this cannister is alluminum and very soft. You can strip it easily. Now using the proper size cap wrench a strap wrench, remove the larger section of cannister and discard the larger O-ring. Remove the old filter, place in the new one, remove the old large O-ring and put on the new one. Screw the cannister back into the housing.

I hope that answers your question.

steviej

• 2 years later...

I have a 2006 GS300 RWD, and it's time for an oil change. I've always changed my own oil, but this car's filter looks very different. I understand it's a canister type of filter, but the replacement filter came with a plastic connector like thing to apparently drain the oil filter before removing it (?)

Does anyone have instructions on doing this? Is there a special tool involved? There is a cap on the filter that looks like it could unscrew, but looks like a special tool is needed to do it...

Any help appreciated!

I just made a video on how to do the oil change on the Lexus using the instructions I found on this forum. Thanks Guys! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Any help appreciated!

Very nice DIY! Personally I never use the plastic small piece to drain oil from the filter - to me its just an extra step, I just remove the canister and drain all oil all together :cheers:

• 9 months later...

I have a 2006 GS300 RWD, and I do not have the nut on the end. I recently purchased this vehicle, and I decided to change the oil myself because after I had the oil changed at the dealer, I noticed that they overfilled the oil and it looked dirty. I was surprised that my vehicle did not have the nut on the end of the filter. anyway I read somewhere that the GS350 did not have the nut, and you have to align the tabs on the canister body to drain the oil from the filter. I used a regular filter wrench and successfully changed my oil. I am now using Castrol Edge syn, and it is at the right level and clean.

There is no nut at the end of the canister.

So yes, you have to buy an SST Special Service Tool from Lexus to remove the oil filter.

Only costs about $20-30.

Or you can buy an aftermarket SST to remove the oil filter, but be sure to get the right size though...

1-1.jpg

toy640a.jpg

2.jpg

toy640.jpg

In this last photo, the SST tool is seen grasping the oil filter cannister...