Who Has Mud Flaps? Should I Get Them?

Going to spring for a white with gray interior tomorrow!

Trying to add on as many goodies to the deal that I can.

What do you all think of Mud flaps?

Any other accessories you can think of for a must have?

Thanks

:cheers:

I got the mud flaps (OEM Lexus) and will probably install them this weekend. They are very low profile with respect to what I was expecting them to be. In other words, they will never get in the way of obstacles like driving through deep snow (like my GCL and Pathfinder). At the same time, I question there effectiveness, being that they are so small. The front mudflaps install without any drilling, seeing as there are already locations for existing screws that fasten the trim and plastic rocker portion to the vehicle. The rear one's are another story, they do require drilling. The plus side is that the rear drill into plastic only (the rear bumper is all plastic), the negative is that I specifically asked the dealer if they required any drilling and the parts guy informed me no (which is not the case).

If I didn't have them and I knew then what I knew now, I would of not gotten them. Because I got them as part of the deal (and I didn't want the dealer installing them) I can't really complain and return them. Perhaps, I will only install the front one's, perhaps I will install the rear one's as well. I will try to post pic's of them on Saturday.

Cheers,

MadloR

I recommened these Lexus accessories:

Tow package

The plastic rear cargo mat w/ the lip (not the carpet one they give away)

Rubber floor mats with the deep grooves (replaces carpet mats)

cargo net for the back area (drilling is req'd)

I bought the "Floorliner" all-weather mats from Weathertech (mats.com) and couldn't be happier. MUCH nicer than any normal rubber mat, and unlike the Lexus ones, come in colors other than black!

I hate the carpeted cargo mat, I'll be buying a rubber one.

Other than that, we're not in love with the aluminum look, might contemplate the wood overlay dash kits. If only I couls easily replace the steering wheel and a few other pieces, I'd do that!

Tow package

Got rubber all around (carpet is silly in the NW)!

Picking up mudguards tonight for a DIY.

Tow package

Got rubber all around (carpet is silly in the NW)!

Picking up mudguards tonight for a DIY.

I recommend the Lexus rear mat because it's not rubber. Rubber would be very heavy and you don't need to carry around the extra wt. The Lexus mat is thin plastic but since it has a rasied lip around the edge it contains spills and wet gear (most resently a leaky foam icechest).

Plus, because its light and thin, you can still access the grocery bag carrier in the very back! I use those all the time.

I recommend the Lexus rear mat because it's not rubber. Rubber would be very heavy and you don't need to carry around the extra wt. The Lexus mat is thin plastic but since it has a rasied lip around the edge it contains spills and wet gear (most resently a leaky foam icechest).

Plus, because its light and thin, you can still access the grocery bag carrier in the very back! I use those all the time.

Great!

I just ordered it with the mudguards!

Mudguards Installed!

Piece of cake. Took about an hour to do all four.

Tools required: jack and stand, impact driver, torque wrench, drill, various drill bits, allen key type bit, phillips bit, alcohol pads, coffee.

Front Mudguards are a snap, seeing as you use the same allen type screws. You only need to drill on additional screw to support the bottom of the mudguard (this part drill into plastic only). Took longer to remove and put back tires than it did to install.

Rear Mudguards requires drilling. Only plastic is drilled into, no sheetmetal. Just requires a little pilot hole so as to find the 3 drilling points. Rear Mudguards are held in place by 3 allen type screws and one phillips type screw (this one fastens from the underside of the mudguard and is a self tapping type).

The alcohol pads I used to clean the rear plastic body molding so that the mudguards would adhere. The rear portion of the mudguards come with a 3m type adhesive strip to enhance and keep the edge of the mudguard up close and tight to the edging and shape of the black portion body molding. A nice touch.

Just need to take a couple of snap shots and upload to some type of picture site.

Cheers,

MadloR

Mudguards Installed!

Piece of cake. Took about an hour to do all four.

Tools required: jack and stand, impact driver, torque wrench, drill, various drill bits, allen key type bit, phillips bit, alcohol pads, coffee.

Front Mudguards are a snap, seeing as you use the same allen type screws. You only need to drill on additional screw to support the bottom of the mudguard (this part drill into plastic only). Took longer to remove and put back tires than it did to install.

Rear Mudguards requires drilling. Only plastic is drilled into, no sheetmetal. Just requires a little pilot hole so as to find the 3 drilling points. Rear Mudguards are held in place by 3 allen type screws and one phillips type screw (this one fastens from the underside of the mudguard and is a self tapping type).

The alcohol pads I used to clean the rear plastic body molding so that the mudguards would adhere. The rear portion of the mudguards come with a 3m type adhesive strip to enhance and keep the edge of the mudguard up close and tight to the edging and shape of the black portion body molding. A nice touch.

Just need to take a couple of snap shots and upload to some type of picture site.

Cheers,

MadloR

I will procede this week!

Thanks

What part of Oregon? Mud flaps on the rainy coast? vs in the much more dry interior?

Thanks

What part of Oregon? Mud flaps on the rainy coast? vs in the much more dry interior?

Eugene! Not as rainy as the coast but more rain then central Oregon.

Captain's Log, Stargate...well, this is Rey in L.A. and we are due to have a rare rain tomorrow,Feb22,2007...so I just put on mud guards that came in the mail a little over an hour ago! They look great and as has been mentioned above, they are a wee bit meager but I like the look and I am now ready for "STORM WATCH '07"!! as the local weathermen go nuts out here when we get over .07 inches of rain. I will battle the upcoming torrnential L.A. storm tomorrow with the confidence assured by my little additional mud guard flaps.

I got them on eBay for about $95, for all four wells and I really like them. They are subtle but other RXers will see them and I see them, which is the important thing. The fronts were very,very easy, using existing allen type bolts already there,matching the holes on the front mud flaps. The rear you'll have to drill. I simply took a Sharpie and dotted the well rim through the holes on the mud guard,that part of the well rim is plasic so I drilled a smaller than usual pilot hole knowing that it's plastic and will need to be snug for the screw...anyway,it took longer but it was still really very easy...even I could do it!

It's night time now but I'll post pictures for the awaiting Lexus world to see tomorrow. The rain may even be enough to activate the automatic windshield wipers! Wow, now that's an L.A. storm! Rey Bustos, wet,well kind of, in L.A.

Rey Bustos in L.A. back again with the long awaited MUD GUARD photos...now I'm ready for the big L.A. rain that might be enough to activate my auto wipers! lets only hope....You can see on the fourth picture the screws in the wheel well. It was very easy and all four took about 30-40 minutes to install. You can see that they are not huge,for those of you that were thinkin' of putting chrome "Mud Falp Babes" on them, there's no room.

BTW, you only need a few tools,allen wrench,power drill, and no need to take tires off. I turned the front tires away to let me in there, The rear, no problem working around them. Happy trails, Rey 2-22-07

post-26996-1172162247_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1172162281_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1172162315_thumb.jpg

post-26996-1172162350_thumb.jpg

Did mine last night. Took about 2 hours taking my time.

Very nice but only adds a little coverage.

BTW you do have to drill one hole in the front and 4 in the rear.

Sorry no pics.

I'm pretty fast when I get going, Im like a NASCAR pit crew, so it didn't take long at all. Two hours?! For those of you that read that in jditom's post, I think he forgot to tell you that that included a lunch break! (hehee).. so don't let that stop ya! Anyway, I put an extra screw in the front and yes, I believe I drilled four in the rear. I think this whole post has been really helpful to many people thinking about putting on mud guards. I am so glad that we have this site! Toodle-loo caribou, Rey

Did mine last night. Took about 2 hours taking my time.

Very nice but only adds a little coverage.

BTW you do have to drill one hole in the front and 4 in the rear.

Sorry no pics.

I'm pretty fast when I get going, Im like a NASCAR pit crew, so it didn't take long at all. Two hours?! For those of you that read that in jditom's post, I think he forgot to tell you that that included a lunch break! (hehee).. so don't let that stop ya! Anyway, I put an extra screw in the front and yes, I believe I drilled four in the rear. I think this whole post has been really helpful to many people thinking about putting on mud guards. I am so glad that we have this site! Toodle-loo caribou, Rey

Yes I was taken my time and I could do the next set in and hour easily. First time I am careful and I took off the front wheels even though you do not have to. I wanted to see what it looks like in there since I like working on my rigs and I wanted to see the brakes and suspension etc. I also wanted to retorque all the lugs to make sure they are were they should be. I do not trust anyone else in the world with that job! :geek: