Rx300 Wiper Motor

mooses

I'm having the bump noise associated with strut mount problems, and I'm just going to check the wiper motor before I start the strut mount install. I read where when you turn the wheel, you should be able to hear it if it's the strut mounts, and mine doesn't make any noise. It really only happens over bumps, so I wasnted to check the wiper motor first. I've seen where a few times the problem was actually the wiper motor bushing instead of the strut mounts, so I'd like to rule it out of the picture. Can anyone describe where the wiper motor is and how to remove it? A picture would help too, I literally have no idea where anything is under the hood. This is a 99 RX300. Thanks.

Ok nevermind, I found the motor and it definitely isn't the cause of the problem. I'm working on the struts now, and I've ran into a problem. I've taken off the 2 lower bolts on the strut, and the brake line and the bar that was bolted onto the strut as well. I now need to take off the 3 strut mount bolts from the top, but won't the entire assembly fall violently down once I get them off? I'm under the impression that after I take out those 3 strut mount bolts, I get the assembly out of the car, and then use the spring compressors to take the middle strut mount bolt off the strut mount. Is this correct? I'm just worried that once I take off the top 3 strut mount bolts that the entire assembly is going to shoot downward and break something. Thanks.

Ok, got the strut out and replaced the strut mount. I noticed that the old strut bearing looked fine, so I'm thinking this was a waste of my time :cries: I've got the top three strut mount nuts in, but the lower two strut bolts (the big ones) aren't lining up. Any ideas?

I've got the top three strut mount nuts in, but the lower two strut bolts (the big ones) aren't lining up. Any ideas?

Try using a large screw driver in the top hole and pry on it to get the holes lined up. Then put the bolt in the lower hole. After that you should be able to get the top bolt in.

P.S. Watch out for those ABS speed sensors...

Kauz

Try using a large screw driver in the top hole and pry on it to get the holes lined up. Then put the bolt in the lower hole. After that you should be able to get the top bolt in.

P.S. Watch out for those ABS speed sensors...

Kauz

I managed to finally get it lined up an hour or so ago. Took it for a drive, and of course the noise is still there. Nothing better than wasting your time and money for nothing :censored:

I noticed that the old strut bearing looked fine, so I'm thinking this was a waste of my time

I'm confused...The bearing has nothing to do with the strut mount problem. It's the rubber design inside the strut mount. Exactly what did you replace?

As mentioned above, your problem is not the strut or the strut mount, it is the improperly-designed and poorly-made original front strut mount rubber bushings. There is a Technical Service Bulletin which essentially corrects this problem with better-designed and constructed rubber bushings. This issue pertains to 1999 and 2000 RX300s and has been covered many times on this forum. Do a search on "front strut mount rubber bushings" and you'll find everything you need to know on how to get this problem corrected. Those of us who have had this TSB applied to our vehicles have collectively reported that the front strut noise problems are solved after doing so.

I noticed that the old strut bearing looked fine, so I'm thinking this was a waste of my time

I'm confused...The bearing has nothing to do with the strut mount problem. It's the rubber design inside the strut mount. Exactly what did you replace?

My mistake, that is exactly what I replaced.

Sooo.. Just for clarification, you're saying you DID replace the rubber bushings but that DiDN'T solve the problem? Just so I follow, Thanks!

Sooo.. Just for clarification, you're saying you DID replace the rubber bushings but that DiDN'T solve the problem? Just so I follow, Thanks!

Exactly.

Are you certain that your new strut mount rubber bushings are the new-and-improved version? And are you certain that they are properly seated and installed? You seemed to have some trouble with the de-install process and I'm wondering if your install process was properly handled.

Yes I am wondering if the key (flat spots ) on the shock rod are properly aligned with the key in the rubber mount. I found you can accidently not get this seated right while putting the strut back together. I wish I had a picture, it is hard to describe. I was very careful about making sure the rubber and the bearing mount were aligned otherwise you could have noise from poor seating.